The Great Eric Swann

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For Jeff Gollin, I’m guessing you want to hear something good about George Boone. 1991 was his best draft.

Famous director of western films John Ford once said, “....when you had to choose between history and legend, print the legend.” If this sound familiar it was slightly altered and used in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Printing the legend is what’s been happening in the case of Eric Swann for years.

You may have noticed I’ve said a few times that except for injuries I believe Gale Sayers might have ended up the NFL’s greatest RB. He surely would have been much nearer the top. Much the same could be said of Eric Swann. I believe with good knees he would have been remembered as the greatest defensive tackle in NFL history. I’m actually more certain of Swann than Sayers.

The first time I saw film on Swann he was playing in a semi-pro league for the Bay State Titans, a Massachusetts team. It’s worth noting the Titans did not pay their players, so Swann worked at manual labor jobs to eat. The tape came with a note saying, “You’ve got to see this; opinion?” It was a revelation. Here was this huge kid, with no college experience, literally tossing grown men aside. I responded, “First round talent, if there are no off the field issues.” What I’m watching is a 20 year old kid who’s 6’4” about 320 whose 40 is under 5.0. He has the wingspan of a California Condor. I believe The Sporting News also did a human interest story on him.

Of course recommending a kid who has played no college as a round 1 pick is a huge risk. The last player with that distinction was selected right after WWII. Don’t read too much into this. My impression was not a factor in Swann being selected by the Cards. I was not working for the Cardinals, just conversing with a BLESTO scout. Frankly I was shocked when the Cards selected him with the 6th pick. Not only didn’t he play in college, he wasn’t even invited to the Combine. I expected more reluctance to choose him. However, I should have figured someone like Boone might see him as a money saving option. Swann needed the money. He ended signing for $750,000 less than the 7th pick. Bell represented himself as a Swann’s agent. Bell eventually sent a letter to NFL front offices stating "we were prepared to do something realistic to get my client drafted in the first round.” Of course Swann wasn’t even contractually his client. The two parted ways when Bell demanded 5% of Swann’s contract. Bell seemed to have unusual influence with Swann’s family. Bell had talked them into letting Swann play for no money with the Titans. Much of this relationship does not pass the smell test.

It’s worth noting Swann was not considered undesirable by colleges, several wanted Swann. Close to home, NC State tried to get Swann, but he would have been a prop 48 and Swann thought that was demeaning. Depending on whom you wish to rely, Swann failed to get the needed 700 SAT score numerous times. This is understandable as he was diagnosed with severe ADD. While these attempts were ongoing Swann was working out at NC State and working for the North Carolina State Fairgrounds. He was seen by at least one NFL scout who was scouting NC State.

Eventually he gave up testing, so Swann ended up heading for New England. In Massachusetts Swann was tutored by former NFL lineman Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton. Who noted, “He reminds me, especially when he gets to be a fully developed player, of like a big Bruce Smith," Hamilton said.

In his first 3 seasons, between Swann’s injury prone knees and his immaturity Swann just flashed ability. Swann also had a tendency to aggravate other teams. Rumors were rampant, for example, that the Eagles deliberately injured Swann. That was the NFL in the bounty years. One of his seasons was ended with a chop block. The lack of NFL protection of players in those days could only be described as criminal.

In 1994 Swann finally seemed to get it. He came in weighing a rock solid 295. He was easily in the best shape of his life. Coincidentally Buddy Ryan became both the Cards’ coach & GM. He had publicly stated Swann might be the best defensive player in the league. That change did wonders for Swann’s work ethic. He made the Pro Bowl in 1995 & 1996. Swann was having one of his best years in 1997 when his knees finally became too painful to play on. I was writing for the previous incarnation of this board at that point. Swann was getting mercilessly abused on that board. I defended Swann vigorously. I had shot knees myself. The left one has now been replaced and the right one will be when elective surgery becomes safer. I tried to explain it felt like I was being stabbed with a knife when I did anything stressful. By 1998 Swann could only start 7 games. Saying he should play more with that type of pain was absurd. Finally he had multiple surgeries and was never the same player again. In 1999 he started 9 games but with reduced effectiveness. He was cut before the next draft as the Cards needed the money to sign top pick Thomas Jones.

Swann signed with Carolina but never started a game and lasted only 1 year. In 2007 he announced he would play for the semi-pro Hudson Valley Saints. The Saints confirmed his signing though I could find no evidence Swann ever suited up.

In the end, at times Swann was one of the most impactful defensive players the NFL has seen. He might have been the best ever. However, the NFL was the Wild West in those days. The league did little to protect the players, especially from each other. Overall I feel fortunate to have watched Swann at his best. He was really something to see.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s was an absolute beast when he wasn’t hurt. Yes teams literally took away a great career for Swanny, by intentionally taking his knees out.

Man! I loved me some Swann, but using your logic, I can think of at least a thousand players who should have been crippled before they reached their second, or third season.
I'm not saying he wasn't a marked man, But Brady..Peyton Manning, and a laundry list of pass rushers (Lawrence Taylor comes to mind) Would have had far shorter career's if it was this black and white.

The Saints got exposed for "bounty gate" and it probably cost Cardinal fans at least 16 more games with Warner at QB...... But honestly, I think all Pro Bowl caliber players are "marked" since the beginning of this game, right up till this moment.....

Swann is just one of many.... who had all the talent in the world, but his body just wasn't up for it, or just had crappy luck.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man! I loved me some Swann, but using your logic, I can think of at least a thousand players who should have been crippled before they reached their second, or third season.
I'm not saying he wasn't a marked man, But Brady..Peyton Manning, and a laundry list of pass rushers (Lawrence Taylor comes to mind) Would have had far shorter career's if it was this black and white.

The Saints got exposed for "bounty gate" and it probably cost Cardinal fans at least 16 more games with Warner at QB...... But honestly, I think all Pro Bowl caliber players are "marked" since the beginning of this game, right up till this moment.....

Swann is just one of many.... who had all the talent in the world, but his body just wasn't up for it, or just had crappy luck.
Problem is: When you forgive injury-causing play as accepted practice that "everybody does", you forgive and perpetuate sadistic practices that should be called out for what they are and banned from the game altogether "with no exception."

As for Harry's take on Eric Swann - I expected one more yada yada example of a wasted Cardinal draft pick, but that's not what Harry gave us. Instead, he delivered what we've always expected - inside-football info and insight about an intriguing Cardinal player or personality from the past.

Well done.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When healthy, and when he didn't let his immaturity get the best of him, he was as disruptive a D-Lineman as there ever was.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great talent not a great player. Like it was said he wasn’t really good early he was immature and didn’t really work that hard

got good for 2 years then got hurt

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just think it’s funny DJ who was immature his first couple of years and took time to develop gets roasted on this board but Swann who was really immature early on and not that good had two good years and we get

a thread calling him great

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I truly think that there are many great "what if" stories the NFL can tell. And I think the story of Eric Swann is top 5 in that category.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OT:
Probably 15-20+ years ago, I went to a baseball game here in town (just high school or a little better). There were a couple 3 or 4 older scouts sitting in the stands, I assume too watch a couple of the players.

I happened to come up behind them and start watching the game. I couldn't help but hear them talking as I watched. I was fascinated listening to them talk/tell stories of things old ball players did. It was really enjoyable.

I'm really enjoying your little behind the scene thoughts and talks, reminisces on here, Harry.

Thx, keep it up.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Eric Swann? Eric Swann? Wasn't he also that 50s movie bigger than life actor who starred in Defender of the Crown, Captain from Tortuga, and the Last Knight of the Round Table?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Eric Swann was just as good or even better than Aaron Donald. Larry Allen who might be the greatest guard to ever play said Swann was the one player he feared because when you got him mad he could overcome a whole line and he would stress to his teammates not to do anything to tick him off

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just think it’s funny DJ who was immature his first couple of years and took time to develop gets roasted on this board but Swann who was really immature early on and not that good had two good years and we get

a thread calling him great
Well swann was a Pro bowler and All-Pro for two years and just beginning to crack his potential before succumbing to injuries. Let’s revisit that comparison once Humphries has his second pro bowl and all-pro season under his belt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the adoration of the two years Swann was productive. he was very good, but even in the years he did produce, I was never blown away by him or what he did for the D.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Good piece Harry, thank you. Was a big fan of #98 back in the day, he was a freak of nature when healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great player the dirty player stuff went both ways. He had a reputation but much of it was built on the way he reacted when guys went at his knees, largely the Eagles. NOt saying eric wasn't dirty at times himself but much of it IMO was because he got hurt early on a couple of dirty low hits and decided to protect himself. Baldinger of course famously broke Swann's ankle, intentionally and brags about it. Eric was the first player, arguably the first human to have microfractures twice on the same knee. The surgery was developed for skiers and even none of them had it twice, but he had it done after the Cards had done it less than a year earlier, I was in the same debates Harry was and pointed out the Cards eventually conceded the 2nd surgery that Steadman did was "essentially the same procedure he had earlier." The Cards pushed him to come back too fast and he had to have the surgery again.

At one point he lived in the same neighborhood in Elk Grove, CA that my girlfriends sister lived, we didn't know until after they moved and were selling items and the sisters husband saw a bunch of NFL stuff and pics of Swann and asked.

having had 3 surgeries on my right knee and now likely needing the left to be scoped(meniscus) i can relate. My former physical therapist put it best to me she said if you can't walk down stairs because your knee won't bend enough you realize how important knees are. They actually get lots of people in that situation it's often the deciding factor on needing knee replacement. Swann was that way before he was 30, playing in the NFL

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Buddy was prone to exaggeration but even other guys on the team like Joyner and Simmons, who'd played with Reggie White, said Swann reminded them of Reggie.

4 knee surgeries in his first 3 years, no idea how many total. Great player.