Favorite 4th of July movie

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Independence Day" with Will Smith.

"Born on the Fourth of July" with Tom Cruise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find much on television last night so I watched "Independence Day" again last night.

Even though I've watched the movie for the nth time it never ceases to keep me watching. I like the characters in the film and the story.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to watch Independence Day and The American President every 4th of July. But a bad sequel can destroy our interest in the first one and the 2nd ID4 was horrible. So, now, we're down to just watching Bening and Douglas shine in our favorite Sorkin offering. But we're considering adding National Treasure back into our 4th rotation next firecracker day, it was in our rotation for just a few years before a second NT movie spoiled the franchise.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez running the bases after hitting a homer as fireworks go off in the sky? *chef’s kiss*

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to watch Independence Day and The American President every 4th of July. But a bad sequel can destroy our interest in the first one and the 2nd ID4 was horrible. So, now, we're down to just watching Bening and Douglas shine in our favorite Sorkin offering. But we're considering adding National Treasure back into our 4th rotation next firecracker day, it was in our rotation for just a few years before a second NT movie spoiled the franchise.
I love The American President! It never occurred to me to watch it on July 4. Might have to try that next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love The American President! It never occurred to me to watch it on July 4. Might have to try that next year.

We'd watch it more than once a year but my wife's annoying husband keeps quoting all the movie lines just before the actors do.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure how sequels you didn't care for can ruin the original film which you really liked. Just watch the original film and don't even act like the other film exists. Problem solved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how sequels you didn't care for can ruin the original film which you really liked. Just watch the original film and don't even act like the other film exists. Problem solved.

I can't offer any logic for it, I just know that we haven't had the desire to watch Speed, Independence Day, Major League, National Treasure, Pitch Perfect and a few other favorites since we watched their sequel.

Oceans 12 was one of the absolute worst movies we've ever watched but for some reason we've been able to do what you're talking about with that one, we just pretend that 11 and 13 are the only movies in the series. We do the same thing with the sequels to Whole Nine Yards and Red. And while I'd agree that a bad sequel doesn't ruin the original, it often tamps down our desire to watch the first one again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really liked the original film "Tremors" but I couldn't bring myself to watch the sequels or whatever they are called. The original cast with Kevin Bacon was awesome.

One sequel I did like was Terminator 2 Judgment Day. It got a lot right.

Also liked Blade Runner 2049.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't offer any logic for it, I just know that we haven't had the desire to watch Speed, Independence Day, Major League, National Treasure, Pitch Perfect and a few other favorites since we watched their sequel.

Oceans 12 was one of the absolute worst movies we've ever watched but for some reason we've been able to do what you're talking about with that one, we just pretend that 11 and 13 are the only movies in the series. We do the same thing with the sequels to Whole Nine Yards and Red. And while I'd agree that a bad sequel doesn't ruin the original, it often tamps down our desire to watch the first one again.

out of your "the sequel killed the first movie for us" list, you should give Speed another chance. Recently watched it again for the first time in what was probably 20 years. That is one of the great kick-ass, super fun summer popcorn movies ever. High concept, Keanu's great, almost all practical stunts (save that one TRULY ridiculous bus launch), a good Hopper villain, solid laughs to break up the non-stop tension (pun intended) and a breakout performance from Sandra Bullock that charms the pants off everyone in the movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really liked the original film "Tremors" but I couldn't bring myself to watch the sequels or whatever they are called. The original cast with Kevin Bacon was awesome.

One sequel I did like was Terminator 2 Judgment Day. It got a lot right.

Also liked Blade Runner 2049.

We like a lot of sequels. We're very fond of Tremors 2 and like it almost as much as the first one although the rest are weak. We love Major League 3 and although it's nowhere near as good as Major League, we can still watch it despite the weak effort in ML2. But yeah, T2 is our favorite of the T movies. That's one movie series we can watch all the way through despite having multiple weak entries.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
out of your "the sequel killed the first movie for us" list, you should give Speed another chance. Recently watched it again for the first time in what was probably 20 years. That is one of the great kick-ass, super fun summer popcorn movies ever. High concept, Keanu's great, almost all practical stunts (save that one TRULY ridiculous bus launch), a good Hopper villain, solid laughs to break up the non-stop tension (pun intended) and a breakout performance from Sandra Bullock that charms the pants off everyone in the movie.

Agree. It was on TV today and I couldn't change the channel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It didn't exactly "kill the movie" for us. We love to re-watch movies, in fact, re-watchability is the single most important aspect of a film for us. For some reason certain subpar sequels effect our desire to re-watch. I still consider Speed a great movie and if I'm channel flipping I'd be likely to watch a few minutes of it. But in that particular sequel, they pretty much invalidated the romance aspect of the original which just takes some fun out of it for us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, that and Jurassic Park are the two movies I can clearly remember seeing at the Harkins on Mill Ave. A lot of memories tied to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose