Boone Thoughts as Promised

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Most of George Boone’s greatest moments didn’t come from trades. Hard as it is to imagine he was even worse at drafting. Take the case of Anthony Bell. His selection by the Cards as the 5th pick in the first round 1 of the 1986 draft was openly greeted by laughter from the audience. The N.Y. Times didn’t even have him in their 1 round mock.

If you think those fans were surprised consider Bell’s mom. She was hosting his draft party. The draft began at 8am but she had told guests not to bother to arrive before 9am. When they finally arrived, Bell had already been selected. No one was there but her husband and her daughter. His mom said she was surprised. Her son Anthony topped that by saying he was stunned.

Former coach Jim Hanifan said of Boone’s drafting, “The night before the draft, I would get down on my hands and knees and say a rosary. I would ask God, ‘please get somebody good this year.’”

Bell had 4 sacks (2 in 1 game) in his rookie year. That would prove to be his career high. The following year he started 12 games, recording 1 sack.

The Big Red Sheet said of Bell, he was “big, fast, uninstinctive & couldn't make plays.”

It’s not shocking Bell was surprised to be selected by the Cards. He never met Boone who once said, “I’m not big on personal interviews.”

Incredibly Bell lasted 5 seasons with the Cards before being released. He spent a forgettable year with Detroit then another with the Raiders before leaving the NFL.

In the end the Cards replaced Boone with Larry Wilson. Boone moved to Indy in a personnel slot before returning late in his career to scout for the Cards until his retirement.

I’ll try to get to a few more Boone notes as time permits in future days.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of George Boone’s greatest moments didn’t come from trades. Hard as it is to imagine he was even worse at drafting. Take the case of Anthony Bell.
FTFY

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of George Boone’s greatest moments didn’t come from trades. Hard as it is to imagine he was even worse at drafting. Take the case of George Bell. His selection by the Cards as the 5th pick in the first round 1 of the 1986 draft was openly greeted by laughter from the audience. The N.Y. Times didn’t even have him in their 1 round mock.

If you think those fans were surprised consider Bell’s mom. She was hosting his draft party. The draft began at 8am but she had told guests not to bother to arrive before 9am. When they finally arrived, Bell had already been selected. No one was there but her husband and her daughter. His mom said she was surprised. Her son Anthony topped that by saying he was stunned.

Former coach Jim Hanifan said of Boone’s drafting, “The night before the draft, I would get down on my hands and knees and say a rosary. I would ask God, ‘please get somebody good this year.’”

Bell had 4 sacks (2 in 1 game) in his rookie year. That would prove to be his career high. The following year he started 12 games, recording 1 sack.

The Big Red Sheet said of Bell, he was “big, fast, uninstinctive & couldn't make plays.”

It’s not shocking Bell was surprised to be selected by the Cards. He never met Boone who once said, “I’m not big on personal interviews.”

Incredibly Bell lasted 5 seasons with the Cards before being released. He spent a forgettable year with Detroit then another with the Raiders before leaving the NFL.

In the end the Cards replaced Boone with Larry Wilson. Boone moved to Indy in a personnel slot before returning late in his career to scout for the Cards until his retirement.

It's almost like Boone said:

"Well we need a linebacker in this draft"

*grabs draft summary that listed all linebackers*

*looks at linebacker list*

*stops at first name on list, listed alphabetically in order by last name*

*points to list*

"Here, we'll take this guy, Bell. Anthony Bell. He's a linebacker."

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Anthony Bell was the name of the brother that we drafted, not George. Unfortunately, I remember the draft and also the nickname that he earned during his days with the Cardinals...Tinker Bell.

Another inglorious linebacker that Boone drafted early was John Barefield, I believe it was in the second or third round, and he also did nothing during his career for the Cardinals. Barefield's claim to fame was that he wore a quarter in his ear. I remember a quote from Dan Dierdorf, the all-pro lineman for the Cardinals at the time , when asked about Barefied after a practice, laughing and saying "if he goes against me I'm gonna make change for that quarter in his ear."

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I also remember the time when George Boone drafted a quarterback in the first round named Kelly Stouffer and one of the football writers in St. Louis immediately exclaimed, "oh my god, Boone has drafted a girl in the first round." Adding insult to injury, Stouffer refused to sign with the Cardinals and never played a down for the team.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Most of George Boone’s greatest moments didn’t come from trades. Hard as it is to imagine he was even worse at drafting. Take the case of Anthony Bell. His selection by the Cards as the 5th pick in the first round 1 of the 1986 draft was openly greeted by laughter from the audience. The N.Y. Times didn’t even have him in their 1 round mock.

Didn’t he also select a kicker with the second round pick that year?? Good God!

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Is that as bad as the U.S., not too recently, having one of their most cherished presidents who along with his wife believed in Astrology.

I swear that the American voting populace, to my dismay, is a great argument against democracy.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Is that as bad as the U.S., not too recently, having one of their most cherished presidents who along with his wife believed in Astrology.

I swear that the American voting populace, to my dismay, is a great argument against democracy.

Let's keep politics where they belong...not here.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough times - sense of urgency (either side), Understandable. But try to cool it here.

The measure of a GM (Boone included) is typically the bone-headed moves made under his watch. A better gauge might be the overall level of talent of each draft class he/she was responsible for.

Boone's regime was less famous for uncovering hidden gems and more for the overall mediocrity of the guys he picked.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no doubt that BB was able to keep a franchise when he clearly didn't have the financial wherewithal to properly run it. If today's social media were in place back then, he may have been forced to sell the team. I'm sure he was a decent man, and I'm sure he wanted to win. But, this was a joke of a franchise for way too long.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
I’m not surprised. They picked several kickers besides the one I wrote about. They were comparatively cheap,
Ya man I just graduated early mind you from high school and I wanted them to stay. I lived 75 miles away but was just a kid. It was a sad day but for about 3 solid years they were on the local channels.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
The Cardinals also picked a kicker in the first round in 1978. They selected Steve Little from Arkansas with the 15th pick in the first round. I think he still owns the college record for the longest field goal with a 67 yard field goal.

Unfortunately, his career with the Cardinals was a short one and he was released in 1980. The sad end to his career went from bad to worse when he wrecked his car on the evening of the day he was released, which left him paralyzed from the shoulders down. It's just a really sad story and another dark day in the history of the Cardinals.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There's no doubt that BB was able to keep a franchise when he clearly didn't have the financial wherewithal to properly run it. If today's social media were in place back then, he may have been forced to sell the team. I'm sure he was a decent man, and I'm sure he wanted to win. But, this was a joke of a franchise for way too long.

I think first and foremost in Bowtie's mind was making a profit. Winning was nice but money was better.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think first and foremost in Bowtie's mind was making a profit. Winning was nice but money was better.
I read somewhere that the way to figure out Mr B's approach to running a football franchise was along the lines of a "family-run" business, with every decision made with a "how do we pay for it" short-range orientation.

I can see it.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
Ya Harry is what I'm telling you I cheer for the Big Red. You can burn down history all you think you can but I'm actually a Cards man.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Ya Harry is what I'm telling you I cheer for the Big Red. You can burn down history all you think you can but I'm actually a Cards man.
It’s not about burning down or belittling fan support. It’s about explaining how a team can go so many years without hardly ever contending. It’s also about indicating where a person’s legacy fits and what it should rightfully be. I’ve likely been a Cards’ fan longer than the vast majority on this board; staying through thick and mostly thin. It doesn’t make you disloyal to know what the truth really is. It might make you kind of goofy though.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
It’s not about burning down or belittling fan support. It’s about explaining how a team can go so many years without hardly ever contending. It’s also about indicating where a person’s legacy fits and what it should rightfully be. I’ve likely been a Cards’ fan longer than the vast majority on this board; staying through thick and mostly thin. It doesn’t make you disloyal to know what the truth really is. It might make you kind of goofy though.
Fair enough brother

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Harry by the old campfire" - telling stories about "how the Cardinals got where they are.

Brings to mind the signing of Eric Swann. There has to be an intriguing back story about how we found him, the pros and cons of what led to his being drafted.

I"m guessing few if any followers can know the ins and outs of Cardinals personnel than Harry.

So Harry, what say you about Eric S?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave