Summer 06’ hypothetical...

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Correct. That was D'Antoni's move.

D’Antoni was right to value a backup PG. Problem is the head coach isn’t scouting these guys and doesn’t know how to run a scouting department. Marcus Banks was a bust in Boston then got paid for half a season of putting up good numbers on a zombie Timberwolves team.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
And Pop put him on Shaq in the playoffs who was awful that series. You know they had some laughs at our expense.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
TT offered to return for 3m less than the Clippers offered:

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/boivin-tt-article-a-must-read.74789/

Thomas is loss Suns can survive
Paola Boivin
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

It wasn't so much that the Suns needed Tim Thomas as much as they made us believe they needed Tim Thomas. In the NBA, perception packs a powerful punch, and on Saturday, the Suns took a nasty left hook.

The reality is the Suns will enter the 2006-07 season with a team that is talented enough to win an NBA title. They erred in throwing around Thomas' name too much when they dumped their draft picks, because in truth, they knew getting the deal done was no sure thing.

"I could have handled it better," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday.

D'Antoni's coaching accomplishments during his brief career here earn him a mulligan. As far as his general manager skills, the jury isn't just out, it's sequestered after a bizarre opening week of free agency.

The dominoes started to fall Friday night when the Clippers, reacting to Vladimir Radmanovic's surprise announcement that he was moving to the Lakers, panicked and went strong after Thomas, putting a four-year, $24 million offer on the table.

Thomas' agent contacted the Suns late Friday to allow them to counter because Thomas meant what he said about wanting to return to Phoenix. Suns management had only 30 minutes to decide, though, because that's when the Clippers said they would withdraw their offer to Thomas.

Thomas was willing to take $21 million from the Suns, who had offered approximately three years for $12 million. In the end, the Suns decided that as much as they enjoyed having Thomas on the team, he was more a luxury than a necessity. They felt they could spend the money on greater needs, such as a backup point guard.

This wasn't about Robert Sarver refusing to spend the money, as many believe. The owner is sensitive to public perception after the Joe Johnson fiasco and has no desire to stroll that neighborhood again. It was D'Antoni's call as much as anyone's, and he felt the moneyThomas commanded was better spent elsewhere.

Think of it this way: The Suns are set with their top eight players. The holes they fill likely will be for Nos. 9 and 10. Don't look for any splashy signings. And they feel good about their frontcourt with Amaré Stoudemire, Kurt Thomas, Boris Diaw and part-time power forward Shawn Marion.

The news was hard for some fans to swallow because of this resilient team's connection with the community. Don't believe it? When Eddie House walked into the Suns youth basketball camp at Thunderbird High on Monday, the 300-plus started chanting "Eddie! Eddie!" Many of these were 8- and 9-year-olds unfamiliar with House's Arizona State career but knew of a player who averaged 9.8 points and 17.5 minutes per game with the Suns.

Everything suggests Thomas was sincere in his desire to return here. As late as Friday, he told the Herald News of Passaic County, N.J., that he wanted back in Phoenix.

"I just know that the organization is going to win a championship soon, and I'd love to be there for that," he said from his home in Southern California. "The ultimate goal is to try to make as much money as you can, but as a player you always look back and say, 'What did I do? How close have I come to getting that ring?' I've been (to the conference finals) twice, and it's a great feeling. I want to get to that next level, to have a chance to get that ring. Hopefully, I can get there with Phoenix."

Some have criticized Thomas for not being true to his word, but c'mon, $24 million vs. $12 million, four years vs. three? This was a guy who not long ago had a bad reputation in the NBA. You can't blame him for wanting stability.

There aren't any true bad guys in this crazy scenario, just a few who could have handled it better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT offered to return for 3m less than the Clippers offered:
https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/boivin-tt-article-a-must-read.74789/

Thomas is loss Suns can survive
Paola Boivin
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

It wasn't so much that the Suns needed Tim Thomas as much as they made us believe they needed Tim Thomas. In the NBA, perception packs a powerful punch, and on Saturday, the Suns took a nasty left hook.

The reality is the Suns will enter the 2006-07 season with a team that is talented enough to win an NBA title. They erred in throwing around Thomas' name too much when they dumped their draft picks, because in truth, they knew getting the deal done was no sure thing.

"I could have handled it better," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday.

D'Antoni's coaching accomplishments during his brief career here earn him a mulligan. As far as his general manager skills, the jury isn't just out, it's sequestered after a bizarre opening week of free agency.

The dominoes started to fall Friday night when the Clippers, reacting to Vladimir Radmanovic's surprise announcement that he was moving to the Lakers, panicked and went strong after Thomas, putting a four-year, $24 million offer on the table.

Thomas' agent contacted the Suns late Friday to allow them to counter because Thomas meant what he said about wanting to return to Phoenix. Suns management had only 30 minutes to decide, though, because that's when the Clippers said they would withdraw their offer to Thomas.

Thomas was willing to take $21 million from the Suns, who had offered approximately three years for $12 million. In the end, the Suns decided that as much as they enjoyed having Thomas on the team, he was more a luxury than a necessity. They felt they could spend the money on greater needs, such as a backup point guard.

This wasn't about Robert Sarver refusing to spend the money, as many believe. The owner is sensitive to public perception after the Joe Johnson fiasco and has no desire to stroll that neighborhood again. It was D'Antoni's call as much as anyone's, and he felt the moneyThomas commanded was better spent elsewhere.

Think of it this way: The Suns are set with their top eight players. The holes they fill likely will be for Nos. 9 and 10. Don't look for any splashy signings. And they feel good about their frontcourt with Amaré Stoudemire, Kurt Thomas, Boris Diaw and part-time power forward Shawn Marion.

The news was hard for some fans to swallow because of this resilient team's connection with the community. Don't believe it? When Eddie House walked into the Suns youth basketball camp at Thunderbird High on Monday, the 300-plus started chanting "Eddie! Eddie!" Many of these were 8- and 9-year-olds unfamiliar with House's Arizona State career but knew of a player who averaged 9.8 points and 17.5 minutes per game with the Suns.

Everything suggests Thomas was sincere in his desire to return here. As late as Friday, he told the Herald News of Passaic County, N.J., that he wanted back in Phoenix.

"I just know that the organization is going to win a championship soon, and I'd love to be there for that," he said from his home in Southern California. "The ultimate goal is to try to make as much money as you can, but as a player you always look back and say, 'What did I do? How close have I come to getting that ring?' I've been (to the conference finals) twice, and it's a great feeling. I want to get to that next level, to have a chance to get that ring. Hopefully, I can get there with Phoenix."

Some have criticized Thomas for not being true to his word, but c'mon, $24 million vs. $12 million, four years vs. three? This was a guy who not long ago had a bad reputation in the NBA. You can't blame him for wanting stability.

There aren't any true bad guys in this crazy scenario, just a few who could have handled it better.

The way Tim Thomas spread the court and made big shots (3-pointers), he was a necessity and not a luxury. The organization blew it especially since the Suns could have had Thomas $3 million less than the Clippers offered. They should have looked for a cheaper option at backup point guard if they felt that was a need.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This topic..... that time period..... and Robert Sarver make me want to go in a corner and cry.

No team has ever meant as much to me as the Suns from 90 to 2010. God I hate Sarver so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This topic..... that time period..... and Robert Sarver make me want to go in a corner and cry.

No team has ever meant as much to me as the Suns from 90 to 2010. God I hate Sarver so much.

It's been a tough 10 years but still waiting for Phoenix to rise from the ashes. There are some pieces in place like Booker and Ayton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So at one point in total wins and losses in NBA history we had the 4th best winning percentage! That all went to hell! This last ten years has been a total farce!

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

As somebody in that thread pointed out you win championships with guys that can produce in the playoffs. Joe Johnson and Tim Thomas both did that for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave