Backpacking thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took an overnight trip to West Clear Creek Saturday. We wanted to to do the Indian Maiden Falls trail but could convince the wives. We ended up entering at the Bullpen Day Use site. Man is that place a crap show. I used to go there as a kid and camp, but it is completely packed now. Luckily we just hiked about 4.5 miles up creek, well past the camping restrictions and only ran into two other people the time we were there.

We found a nice secluded camp space with a shallow swimming hole and plenty of shade which was a welcome respite after a nearly 5 mile hike in the heat of the afternoon . It was really nice. That night we saw a mother skunk with 3 babies, fireflies (first time seeing them in AZ and I'm a native), and had a small rattler slither through camp when were relaxing around 9PM.

On the way back we found an awesome unoccupied spot only about 2.5 miles from the trailhead with a huge swimming hole and diving cliffs. It would be great for a day trip and still far enough out to keep out the cooler-toters.
I've been wanting to check this out w my lady. I've never been and she's all about backpacking and figure it would be a good weekend spot. I've heard lots of good things and should probably research the trails. Get any photos?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been wanting to check this out w my lady. I've never been and she's all about backpacking and figure it would be a good weekend spot. I've heard lots of good things and should probably research the trails. Get any photos?

I'm not the photographer of the group.
You must be registered for see images attach

We camped at the 2nd star. The first star is the awesome swimming hole. Coordinates are below.

34°31'59.6"N 111°39'56.9"W
Yavapai County, AZ 86322
https://goo.gl/maps/LEkyWS3cq866yjgt8

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the photographer of the group.

We camped at the 2nd star. The first star is the awesome swimming hole. Coordinates are below.

34°31'59.6"N 111°39'56.9"W
Yavapai County, AZ 86322
https://goo.gl/maps/LEkyWS3cq866yjgt8
Yeah I need to do this. Maybe late July/early August

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I need to do this. Maybe late July/early August

Just be mindful of monsoon storms upstream. You wouldn't want to get caught in a flashflood.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be mindful of monsoon storms upstream. You wouldn't want to get caught in a flashflood.
That was my first thought as I typed it. I tend to stick to places with quick high ground routes that time of year. Storms can be many miles away and still get ur ass

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought as I typed it. I tend to stick to places with quick high ground routes that time of year. Storms can be many miles away and still get ur ass

When myself, Alex and two friends hiked West Fork last Saturday (10 days ago) we went past the trail about a mile. One of the guys brought that up - what do you do? I pointed out (at that particular place) three different spots you could climb aways up from the creek. I had a friend in Flagstaff that died in a flash flood in the Grand Canyon - I always try to stay aware, even when there isn't rain anywhere in the state :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heading out Friday, probably knoll lake again since tonto is closed. drove to payson on Friday, cant believe how much burnt down on the way there.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heading out Friday, probably knoll lake again since tonto is closed. drove to payson on Friday, cant believe how much burnt down on the way there.

I haven't been up there, but have seen pictures - the Bush Fire destroyed some of my favorite areas. And it will be centuries, if ever before it recovers.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been up there, but have seen pictures - the Bush Fire destroyed some of my favorite areas. And it will be centuries, if ever before it recovers.
Most of the mountain side landscape I expect will be back somewhat quickly. Juniper and other bushes should come roaring back. The burnt down cactus is a different story. I have not ventured into it, dont think you even can, to see some of the more dense vegetation areas.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Did the Cabin Loop Trail last weekend. 30 miles over 3 days. A little rain that I was totally unprepared for but was able to wait it out under trees. I learned so much and can't wait for my next adventure.

In the picture with the pipe. The road/trail is washed out and officially closed but people are still climbing down one side and up the other. That pipe is about 6' tall and th washout is 2 stories tall. It was pretty impressive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Cabin Loop Trail last weekend. 30 miles over 3 days. A little rain that I was totally unprepared for but was able to wait it out under trees. I learned so much and can't wait for my next adventure.

In the picture with the pipe. The road/trail is washed out and officially closed but people are still climbing down one side and up the other. That pipe is about 6' tall and th washout is 2 stories tall. It was pretty impressive.

I was just at the cabin a few weeks ago! I didnt get a photo of it, but I did of the springs. looks like you had a great trip.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at buck springs, not general springs

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I was at buck springs, not general springs

I almost got lost trying to get to Buck Spring Cabin. I swear the sign said .5 miles. Seemed like I walked 7 miles to it and 2 miles back from it. I am pretty sure there was some sort of vortex that I stumbled into.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I live in Southern Oregon and have been trying to do the Pacific Crest Trail, a little bit at a time. Last year it was closed due to COVID during hiking season and this year open in spots, but closed in key spots due to fires, etc. and we had weeks and weeks of smoke which kind of takes the fun out of it. But last week the smoke cleared due to a rainstorm and it is open where we want to go.

So my oldest son and I are going to be dropped off later this morning at the OR/CA border. We will hike about 26 miles over the weekend to "Callahan's" which is near Ashland. It is not the most pristine section, but still pretty cool, about 6,000 feet in elevation and a good downhill stretch at the end. Should be fun and I will see if I can get a photo or two to post.

If I get this done I will have done about 70 miles of the PCT in So. Oregon heading north, some with my youngest son, some with my oldest. I was discussing this with my wife and she was like "pffft... you need more miles than that!" She is right, but it is challenging to find the time, especially with the fires in the Summer. I think the Fall is becoming the new hiking season around here.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Closing outdoor recreation in the pandemic was an odd move, glad you can get back on the trail.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool article about the workers embedded in the Sierras that keep the trails from disappearing. I wish I would have known about stuff like this when I was younger. Pretty demanding, but an amazing experience for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose