The Suns next big move

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was against pursuing him; I desperately wanted a modern day PG but there are only so many of them around. Other than him being injured a little more than usual, this is the Rubio I expected to see. He's a great teammate and a respected leader but in today's NBA you really need a complete PG and anything less than that will inevitably lead to scouring the market or draft lists for his replacement.

The good news though is that Rubio is probably the best of the "not quite good enough" group and he's a clear upgrade from what we've had the past few years. Hopefully, he'll get healthy soon along with a few other players and he will no longer look like such a weak link when that happens. His contract isn't for that long nor is it that exorbitant to make him a loss when we are able to move him to the backup spot.
Agree with all this. Also this is supposed to be a deep pg draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In real time I liked it because the alternative was Rozier. In hindsight the Rubio > D’Lo takes were pretty bad because the argument was “fit”. There’s no way a worn down Rubio from 30-32 is a better fit than Russell from 23-26, not to mention the Book connection. Of course he was traded to Golden St and agreed to a max deal so it was never a legit option.

:deadhorse:
I’d still rather have Rubio. Russell is overrated and I don’t think a back court with he and Booker has any hope of being competitive on D.

Brogdan on the other hand... that guy would have been a perfect fit.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we might already have our PG of the future. His name is Jalen Leque.

he needs to be working night and day on his jump shot.
We would be fools to really expect anything from Lecque. He is an athletic young player without much in the way of actual basketball skills. Yes. He needs to be working because he is one of the longest of long shots. Having Lecque in the pipeline should have no impact whatsoever in any other decisions.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ties of foreign born players to their home country is very strong and there is tremendous pressure on them to represent their country. Rubio may not want to participate in the Olympic but it's hard for them not to succumb to the pressure. My guess he plays in the Olympics. Probably the same with Baynes.

There’s no way these guys won’t play in the Olympics. It’s not like American ball players. They grew up in their countries basketball academies and feel great pride in their programs. Particularly bc they are both leaders of their programs (if I recall correctly baynes had a really prominent role with Australia).

I get that odds are slim for Rubio to pass but with a new a child at home, his first child, I think there is a greater chance than normal he passes. It is the Olympics though, which is treated much more serious than the usual FIBA tournaments so odds are slim of him passing.

Baynes playing or not playing isn't as much of an issue since we don't need to resign him. If he wants to play in the Olympics, that should be another reason to pass on resigning him. If he's willing to sign for around $3-4 million, or less, then I'm not against bringing him back but he shouldn't be the primary backup, unless the 3rd big is a rookie big that they plan on covering for Baynes for half the year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that odds are slim for Rubio to pass but with a new a child at home, his first child, I think there is a greater chance than normal he passes. It is the Olympics though, which is treated much more serious than the usual FIBA tournaments so odds are slim of him passing.

Baynes playing or not playing isn't as much of an issue since we don't need to resign him. If he wants to play in the Olympics, that should be another reason to pass on resigning him. If he's willing to sign for around $3-4 million, or less, then I'm not against bringing him back but he shouldn't be the primary backup, unless the 3rd big is a rookie big that they plan on covering for Baynes for half the year.

When the Suns signed Rubio, they knew he would be playing in international competition so it's something that comes with the territory. I wish he could say no to the Olympics, so he can rest his body, but it is what it is. The Suns could have ended up like the Knicks at point guard.

I'm hoping the Suns to not re-sign Baynes unless he is strictly depth and on the cheap. Like you said, if he plays in the Olympics it's another reason to pass on him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that there is a roster spot, I'm not against bringing Bender back but I hope for better than that. I wouldn't be against bringing IT in if the playoffs were still in reach because I think he could provide some good bench scoring but we need a big right now, especially if Ayton misses a game or two. Running Diallo as the only PF/C is not something I'd want the NAZ Suns to do, let alone the Phoenix Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton (ankle soreness) is questionable for the Lakers game so the Suns may be forced to add another big man.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We had one season, where everyone had "back spasms." Even then, we never got down to 7 guys.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't ever remember injuries being so prevalent in previous years. Am I just imagining this?

The biggest loss in the last off-season was
Aaron Nelson, the longtime trainer for the Suns. You can’t under estimate the loss of one of the best trainers in the league!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The biggest loss in the last off-season was
Aaron Nelson, the longtime trainer for the Suns. You can’t under estimate the loss of one of the best trainers in the league!
Yes, he was better than what we have now, but he lost his mojo when Grant Hill left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if teams are waiting for the Suns to waive a player like Baynes, Saric or Kaminsky.

Baynes will be a free agent next season, Saric is subject to a qualifying offer and Kaminsky is a team option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones on Arizona Sports about waiving Tyler Johnson.

“If we have a roster spot where we can be opportunistic and start to pick and choose how we fill in the backend of our roster, we just thought it was the best for the team to allow him the opportunity to move on and to give guys like Cam (Johnson), Mikal (Bridges), Devin (Booker), Kelly (Oubre) opportunities to make more plays and be more vital in our rotation.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/225...d-tyler-johnson-to-open-roster-opportunities/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty understands the impact of the injury situation. Suns are not looking for a short term fix.

Monty is such a calming presence. I'm sold completely on anything he discusses. I almost prefer reading things compared to watching or listening to him because I know I'll eat up whatever he says. It's no wonder he's a good coach that is able to get guys to play all out for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA moves can happen fairly quickly.

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Former Hornets forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has agreed to sign with the Mavericks, sources tell @wojespn and me. Dallas has to waive a player to create an open roster spot before making the move official.

8:40 PM - 10 Feb 2020

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Source: The Mavs released SG Ryan Broekhoff to create a roster spot for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Broekhoff shot 40.3% from 3-point range in 59 games over two seasons with the Mavs.

9:10 PM - 10 Feb 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is such a calming presence. I'm sold completely on anything he discusses. I almost prefer reading things compared to watching or listening to him because I know I'll eat up whatever he says. It's no wonder he's a good coach that is able to get guys to play all out for him.

I totally agree, his presence is the one thing making me feel like the turnaround to success is actually going to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the players drafted before Devin Booker and I'm still fascinated by Myles Turner. I keep trying to figure out how he would pair with Deandre Ayton.

Really liked him a lot in the 2015 draft. He is listed as a center, stands 6'11" and weighs 250 pounds. Turner turned age 24 in March.

For his career, he averages 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. He shoots .488 from the field and .354 from 3 point range.

There were rumors the Pacers wanted to trade him because Domantas Sabonis has taken over his role. Also the Pacers are probably looking to cut some salary.

Turner has three more years on his contract at $18 million each after this season.

The Suns could probably absorb his salary.

Any thoughts if the Suns don't hit it big in the lottery about trading a first round pick for him?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I was looking at the players drafted before Devin Booker and I'm still fascinated by Myles Turner. I keep trying to figure out how he would pair with Deandre Ayton.

Really liked him a lot in the 2015 draft. He is listed as a center, stands 6'11" and weighs 250 pounds. Turner turned age 24 in March.

For his career, he averages 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. He shoots .488 from the field and .354 from 3 point range.

There were rumors the Pacers wanted to trade him because Domantas Sabonis has taken over his role. Also the Pacers are probably looking to cut some salary.

Turner has three more years on his contract at $18 million each after this season.

The Suns could probably absorb his salary.

Any thoughts if the Suns don't hit it big in the lottery about trading a first round pick for him?
I am unsure how he would look next to Ayton, but I would still trade the first for him in a hot second. I am guessing that they would want more for him though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am unsure how he would look next to Ayton, but I would still trade the first for him in a hot second. I am guessing that they would want more for him though.

I was hoping losing his salary and a first round pick would be enough for the Pacers.

We already gave gave them Warren and an early second round pick. :sad:

What were you thinking?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose