Any REAL options for a single person to watch first-run movies in the near future?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, it doesn't seem like there are any options for a single person to watch first-run movies now, or in the near future. AMC is about to open theaters around here in July, but I won't be there. They aren't requiring masks, and eff that noise, but I wouldn't want to sit around watching a movie with a mask on anyway.

I noticed The King of Staten Island is available on demand. Awesome, I really want to see that...but I DAMN WELL am not paying 20 bucks to watch one movie. Nagannahappen. I don't even pay that in the theater, because I'm smart enough not to splurge on all the concessions. I live in a single household, without a family here, so it's not like it's 20 bucks for 3 or 4 people.

So, is this the death of the first-run movie for me? At least until we return to "normal?"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It’s going to be a feeling out situation to start for sure. Almost certainly policies are going to change as we go.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it doesn't seem like there are any options for a single person to watch first-run movies now, or in the near future. AMC is about to open theaters around here in July, but I won't be there. They aren't requiring masks, and eff that noise, but I wouldn't want to sit around watching a movie with a mask on anyway.

I noticed The King of Staten Island is available on demand. Awesome, I really want to see that...but I DAMN WELL am not paying 20 bucks to watch one movie. Nagannahappen. I don't even pay that in the theater, because I'm smart enough not to splurge on all the concessions. I live in a single household, without a family here, so it's not like it's 20 bucks for 3 or 4 people.

So, is this the death of the first-run movie for me? At least until we return to "normal?"

it's probably gonna be a while.

or you can pirate them when they do come back by buying a firestick. which would hurt my industry but it's a choice...

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
it's probably gonna be a while.

or you can pirate them when they do come back by buying a firestick. which would hurt my industry but it's a choice...

The thing that plugs in to your TV so you get access to Amazon prime? How do you pirate with that? Not because I'm trying to pirate, but because how could they sell something mainstream that would do that? As you can tell, I know enough tech to get myself into trouble :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that plugs in to your TV so you get access to Amazon prime? How do you pirate with that? Not because I'm trying to pirate, but because how could they sell something mainstream that would do that? As you can tell, I know enough tech to get myself into trouble :)

you just look on YouTube how to jailbreak it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nah... there's something else you can buy. some of friends have it. I don't know exactly what it's called.

that said, i just wouldn't expect a whole lot of first run flicks that aren't kids movies for a long time.

BUT... come october and novemeber, Netflix and Hulu will start putting out a lot of their Academy hopefuls like they have the last couple years. and you can always buy Apple + for a month to watch the new Tom Hanks movie they just bought off a studio that's supposed to be great... set on some kind of warship. Buy that for one month for like 10 bucks, immediately cancel apple + and it's basically like you just paid what you'd pay in the theaters.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's called Kodi. An add on you can install on the fire stick, nvidia shield and so in. Kodi itself is not the pirate software but it's the add ons that people develop on their own that can be added to Kodi.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
nah... there's something else you can buy. some of friends have it. I don't know exactly what it's called.

that said, i just wouldn't expect a whole lot of first run flicks that aren't kids movies for a long time.

BUT... come october and novemeber, Netflix and Hulu will start putting out a lot of their Academy hopefuls like they have the last couple years. and you can always buy Apple + for a month to watch the new Tom Hanks movie they just bought off a studio that's supposed to be great... set on some kind of warship. Buy that for one month for like 10 bucks, immediately cancel apple + and it's basically like you just paid what you'd pay in the theaters.

Oh, I have (or am supposed to have) Apple TV for a year because I bought a new Iphone. I remember watching a few minutes of it a bit ago. Problem now is, it's the crappiest interface I've EVER encountered. Trying to sign back in, I'm being forced to do everything short of sacrifice a child to sign in...and it won't send a verification text, and it won't click on the "didn't get a verification code" link. So I'm locked out. No problem, because Apple support should be pretty good? Um, nope, they don't even have a chat option. So I have to wait on hold on the frickin' phone. Jesus, my Verizon Fios support isn't great, but it's better than this. Even COMCAST was better than this, and that's saying something!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I have (or am supposed to have) Apple TV for a year because I bought a new Iphone. I remember watching a few minutes of it a bit ago. Problem now is, it's the crappiest interface I've EVER encountered. Trying to sign back in, I'm being forced to do everything short of sacrifice a child to sign in...and it won't send a verification text, and it won't click on the "didn't get a verification code" link. So I'm locked out. No problem, because Apple support should be pretty good? Um, nope, they don't even have a chat option. So I have to wait on hold on the frickin' phone. Jesus, my Verizon Fios support isn't great, but it's better than this. Even COMCAST was better than this, and that's saying something!

Damn, that sucks! Apple used to be considered the leader in ease of use.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Yeah, sorry for the flip-out post, but it was my birthday, and Apple helped absolutely ruined it. Literally took me longer than the run time of the effing movie to be able to sign in and watch the thing, by which time it was too late to watch a minute of it. That's before the lightning strike and loss of power. Happy Birthday to Me lol

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

It's really easy to use when it's working correctly but the if it's not you're going to go through hell to get it working. I write iOS software for a living and it's a complete love/hate with no in-between with them. It drives me nuts.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry for the flip-out post, but it was my birthday, and Apple helped absolutely ruined it. Literally took me longer than the run time of the effing movie to be able to sign in and watch the thing, by which time it was too late to watch a minute of it. That's before the lightning strike and loss of power. Happy Birthday to Me lol

Happy belated birthday! Nowhere to go but up! ;)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really easy to use when it's working correctly but the if it's not you're going to go through hell to get it working. I write iOS software for a living and it's a complete love/hate with no in-between with them. It drives me nuts.

I've never been into mobile Mac products, but I got a lot of work done on a Mac Pro that served me extremely well for many years. I would like to buy the new one for work, but it's stupid expensive. I really wonder what Apple would look like if Jobs was still around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose