Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker, Aron Baynes and others speak out after the death of George Floyd.

From Arizona Sports:

Phoenix Suns SG Devin Booker

Devin Booker posted the following message on his Instagram story.

“I’m deeply hurt. I’m also very frustrated because this hasn’t changed after generations of pain, suffering, injustice, fear, inequality…and the list goes on. After days of conversations with friends and loved ones, I don’t have an answer. I worry about how this is going to get better because this is our flawed system. It’s a system built upon racism…one race oppressing the other. The repeated cycle of the same things over and over. We don’t have our “leadership” to gu
ide us but regardless it is time for a change. We need justice for Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. RIP”

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...peterson-speak-out-after-george-floyds-death/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre is giving 20 scholarships to graduates in three states.

From azcentral:

The Phoenix Suns wing is providing 20 scholarships to graduates from Arizona, Texas and Louisiana enrolled in a college or trade school in the fall who demonstrated "a marked improvement in character, attitude or self-esteem."

“The sky is the limit for the next generation," Oubre said in a news release. "You get out what you put in, and I’d only hope that we are motivated to pass the baton forward. I will continue to grow as an individual and I challenge you to do the same but help someone out along the way.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ing-scholarships-arizona-students/3159370001/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where it should be mentioned but Gina Mizell, who was the beat writer for The Athletic, was let go the other day. I'm a little surprised they would let go someone who covers a team that is returning but I guess that doesn't matter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Athletic also laid off Scott Bordow, who mentioned that he was 1 of 46 people laid off, which gives a little insight into how much they are scaling back. Losing the Cardinals, Suns, and Coyotes writers seems to be a hit for coverage of valley sports.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where it should be mentioned but Gina Mizell, who was the beat writer for The Athletic, was let go the other day. I'm a little surprised they would let go someone who covers a team that is returning but I guess that doesn't matter.

The Athletic also laid off Scott Bordow, who mentioned that he was 1 of 46 people laid off, which gives a little insight into how much they are scaling back. Losing the Cardinals, Suns, and Coyotes writers seems to be a hit for coverage of valley sports.

I read on twitter Gina Mizell was a layoff at The Athletic. Didn't know Scott Bordow, who also used to cover the Suns, was a casualty as well. Too bad. I don't like to see anyone lose their job in this economy.

With the season on hold, Shams Charania, has become my primary read there.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

I cancelled my subscription on Friday when I heard about it. The ONLY reason I have the subscription is for Suns coverage.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

They also fired the beat writer for the Coyotes (his name escapes me). I thought it was odd that they did away with the beat writers for 3 of our major sports. I am currently on the 90 free trial, but after this there is no way I subscribe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the lineup Monty should focus on: Booker, Rubio, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton.

Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin

·
16h

“When they're on the floor, we outscored opponents by 92 points." Monty Williams. Devin Booker, Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre Jr., Mikal Bridges and Deandre Ayton is a lineup that "stuck out." How much should he utilize it when #Suns resume season? (w/video) http://bit.ly/2MGE3oB

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This is the lineup Monty should focus on: Booker, Rubio, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton.

Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin

·
16h

“When they're on the floor, we outscored opponents by 92 points." Monty Williams. Devin Booker, Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre Jr., Mikal Bridges and Deandre Ayton is a lineup that "stuck out." How much should he utilize it when #Suns resume season? (w/video) http://bit.ly/2MGE3oB
With the upcoming 4-games-in-5-days schedule, counting on starting lineups to win games might lead to fatigue and injuries. "Stuck out" might become "struck out".

We'll need five solid backups to be competitive.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the upcoming 4-games-in-5-days schedule, counting on starting lineups to win games might lead to fatigue and injuries. "Stuck out" might become "struck out".

We'll need five solid backups to be competitive.

NBA quality depth has been a problem for the Suns all season.

Having Kelly Oubre and Frank Kaminsky back should help. Also Deandre Ayton (ankle) and Cam Johnson (mononucleosis) were out the last time the Suns played on March 10th against Portland. The return of these four players should give the Suns a boost.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four members of Arizona Sports (98.7 FM) selected dream teams for the Suns. Team Byrd won.

Anyone have any different thoughts?

Full rosters

Team Byrd

Staring 5 – Jason Kidd, Dick Van Arsdale, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, Shaquille O’Neal

Bench – Stephon Marbury, Leandro Barbosa, Danny Manning, Neal Walk, Michael Finley

Team Gambo

Starting 5 – Steve Nash, Walter Davis, Connie Hawkins, Larry Nance, Deandre Ayton

Bench – Grant Hill, Charlie Scott, Maurice Lucas, Jason Richardson, Mark West

Team Burns

Starting 5 – Paul Westphal, Jeff Hornacek, Joe Johnson, Tom Chambers, Amar’e Stoudemire

Bench – Dennis Johnson, Goran Dragic, Paul Silas, Channing Frye, P.J. Tucker

Team Kezele:

Starting 5 – Kevin Johnson, Devin Booker, Shawn Marion, Truck Robinson, Alvan Adams

Bench – Eddie Johnson, Cliff Robinson, Raja Bell, Marcin Gortat, Gail Goodrich

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...draft-crowns-champion/?show=comments#comments

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not true. The Nuggets ended up trading the 13th pick to the Jazz.

That was the Josh Jackson draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not true. The Nuggets ended up trading the 13th pick to the Jazz.

That was the Josh Jackson draft.

Of course with how things played out, getting that pick would have been great but I think most Suns fans wanted more for him than a late lottery pick. There were plenty of people who thought Bledsoe & #4 for Kyrie was too much so I can't see Bledsoe for #13 being accepted or praised back then. Plus, if it worked out, who knows who the current coach or GM is. I'll take what we have currently.

I know Donovan Mitchell was selected there but I think he landed in the perfect situation for his style of play. I can't see him becoming who he is today on the Suns next to Booker and playing PG full time, which is what he would have been doing here if we traded Bledsoe to take him. He lucked into a Utah system that needed a primary scorer to replace Hayward and he was best equipped to take that role because Gobert isn't an offensive player, Ingles is nice but a 3rd or 4th option, and Favors proved he was also a 3rd or 4th option by that point. They had no one to step up and be the man there.

Bam Adebayo would have kept us from taking Ayton. He's a solid Center, albeit slightly undersized, who is a workhorse. It's taken him time to come into his own also and I don't know if he develops the same here. I think there's more of a chance than Mitchell but Miami is a great organization that was able to be patient with him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course with how things played out, getting that pick would have been great but I think most Suns fans wanted more for him than a late lottery pick. There were plenty of people who thought Bledsoe & #4 for Kyrie was too much so I can't see Bledsoe for #13 being accepted or praised back then. Plus, if it worked out, who knows who the current coach or GM is. I'll take what we have currently.

I know Donovan Mitchell was selected there but I think he landed in the perfect situation for his style of play. I can't see him becoming who he is today on the Suns next to Booker and playing PG full time, which is what he would have been doing here if we traded Bledsoe to take him. He lucked into a Utah system that needed a primary scorer to replace Hayward and he was best equipped to take that role because Gobert isn't an offensive player, Ingles is nice but a 3rd or 4th option, and Favors proved he was also a 3rd or 4th option by that point. They had no one to step up and be the man there.

Bam Adebayo would have kept us from taking Ayton. He's a solid Center, albeit slightly undersized, who is a workhorse. It's taken him time to come into his own also and I don't know if he develops the same here. I think there's more of a chance than Mitchell but Miami is a great organization that was able to be patient with him.

McDonough should have traded Bledsoe during the off season rather than waiting for the situation to unravel during the season when his value was low.

In hindsight it would have been a solid move to trade Bledsoe for the 13th pick rather than wait and only get a protected first round pick from the Bucks later on.

Of course we do not know if McDonough would have used the pick to select Mitchell or Bam. However, there may have been other trades out there as well.

Bottom line, McDonough waited too long to trade Bledsoe and traded low.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just learn Duane Rankin has been furloughed losing more Suns coverage.

Gina Mizell was previously a layoff at The Athletic.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just learn Duane Rankin has been furloughed losing more Suns coverage.

Gina Mizell was previously a layoff at The Athletic.

That seems odd. I'm no fan of Rankin but I hate to see anyone lose their job like that. However he's written a few pieces lately about the Suns returning to play. He's definitely written things within the last 3 weeks, I know that. So the idea he's furloughed currently doesn't make sense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That seems odd. I'm no fan of Rankin but I hate to see anyone lose their job like that. However he's written a few pieces lately about the Suns returning to play. He's definitely written things within the last 3 weeks, I know that. So the idea he's furloughed currently doesn't make sense.
Furloughed means leave of absence, so he’s not fired. Now with the season coming back we’ll see if they bring him back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I noticed Duane Rankin was writing a five part series "examining what to expect from the Suns when the 2019-20 NBA season resumes." The last installment was on June 12th. He also wrote another article on June 13th and today as well.

If Duane is dong it on his own dime, I respect him all the more.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just reported that Oubre isn't coming back when play resumes. I am therefore all but sure he has one foot out the door. Trade him for Aaron Gordon, while we can still get something of value for him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan is for Oubre to travel to Orlando with team but will continue to rehab the knee.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Just reported that Oubre isn't coming back when play resumes. I am therefore all but sure he has one foot out the door. Trade him for Aaron Gordon, while we can still get something of value for him.
He is recovering from a knee injury. If he isn’t 100% then he shouldn’t be playing in this format. If he was one foot out the door he wouldn’t be going to Orlando to support his teammates.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is recovering from a knee injury. If he isn’t 100% then he shouldn’t be playing in this format. If he was one foot out the door he wouldn’t be going to Orlando to support his teammates.

4-8 week recovery time frame. He is now 100% (and has been for a while), and it was originally reported he would be playing. He is required to go to Orlando with his team, or he forfeits the remaining $15 million of his deal. I'm telling you. He's gone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have liked to see more of Oubre and Bridges at forward but there is no need to rush things. Five teams are ahead of the Suns in the standings. I do wish the Suns would fill their open roster spot so if they are eliminated early in Orlando they could give that player a look.

JerkFace

Reaction score
4-8 week recovery time frame. He is now 100% (and has been for a while), and it was originally reported he would be playing. He is required to go to Orlando with his team, or he forfeits the remaining $15 million of his deal. I'm telling you. He's gone.
You have no way of knowing that he is 100%. No way of knowing if there were setbacks since he had to do the rehab on his own. Also, even if he was 100% healthy he doesn’t lose 15 million for not going to Orlando. He only loses his salary for the 8 games missed. Once again the info you spread is just plain made up. Even if he played there is a decent chance he is gone. He will be on his last year and the Suns have other options at the position. You are insulting that he doesn’t want to be here though, and once again, you are just making stuff up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA