NBA approves its return plan.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So we're off to Orlando. The league has announced a unique plan to have 22 teams all play out the regular season and enter the playoffs at the Disney Sports Complex in Orlando. The Suns have been invited, as a team that has a mathematical chance of making the playoff seeds with the 8 game resumption schedule that will begin on July 31.
There will be 'play in' games if the 8 and 9 seeds are really close in record.

The NBA led the way in calling of the sports routine in the country and is leading the way back, with unusual harmony between players and management. Hopefully this leads to other sports leagues following the template and not embarrassing themselves with arguments over huge dollars while their fans suffer.

So you're saying the Suns have a chance..........

Here's a great article on the arrangement. Just though we call all use some good news.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ues-resumption-and-revamped-format-at-disney/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still awaiting approval from the National Basketball Players Association which should come today.

The National Basketball Players Association has been working closely with league officials on the plan, and the NBPA's team player representatives have a conference call set for Friday to approve the proposal, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267294/source-nba-approves-plan-return-orlando

I understand there are still some questions to be worked out but nothing insurmountable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think NBA players would be thrilled with this... wearing tracking chips at hotel.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: The NBPA informed players today that NBA/NBPA will conduct coronavirus testing every night during resumed season -- likely mouth swabs/light nasal swabs and not full invasive nasal swab. Minimum seven days quarantine for a player if positive.
2:17 PM · Jun 5,

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBPA told players December 1 start date is unlikely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of details still to be worked out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 22 game team format was approved by NBPA association.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there may be 2-3 preseason games.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Once this gets going, I fully expect the Suns to go on a miraculous winning streak, qualify for the 8 seed, upset the Lakers in the first round of the modified playoffs...

... and then promptly have the remainder of the playoffs canceled again after a coronavirus outbreak on one of the other teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once this gets going, I fully expect the Suns to go on a miraculous winning streak, qualify for the 8 seed, upset the Lakers in the first round of the modified playoffs...

... and then promptly have the remainder of the playoffs canceled again after a coronavirus outbreak on one of the other teams.

lol.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Actually, the way both the Suns of late and 2020 have gone, I'm expecting Booker, Ayton and Oubre to test positive for COVID-19 right before the first game that counts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re getting closer, Main. I don’t know what a 22 game team format is though. :p It’s got to be a muscle memory thing.

There you go again. The following article might be helpful concerning the 22 team format.

From CBS Sports:

The league is targeting a start date of July 31, where 22 of the 30 NBA teams are expected to participate in Orlando. That will include the 16 current playoff teams as well as the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns and Washington Wizards. Teams will play an abbreviated version of the regular season that will consist of eight games, as well as a play-in tournament for the eighth seed in both conferences. The tournament will only happen if the No. 9 seed finishes within four games of the No. 8 seed, in which case the No. 9 seed will have to beat the No. 8 seed twice to earn the final playoff spot in their conference. The playoffs will be a best-of-seven series in each round, with the NBA Finals concluding no later than Oct. 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...sney-world-sets-plan-for-coronavirus-testing/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There you go again. The following article might be helpful concerning the 22 team format.

From CBS Sports:

The league is targeting a start date of July 31, where 22 of the 30 NBA teams are expected to participate in Orlando. That will include the 16 current playoff teams as well as the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns and Washington Wizards. Teams will play an abbreviated version of the regular season that will consist of eight games, as well as a play-in tournament for the eighth seed in both conferences. The tournament will only happen if the No. 9 seed finishes within four games of the No. 8 seed, in which case the No. 9 seed will have to beat the No. 8 seed twice to earn the final playoff spot in their conference. The playoffs will be a best-of-seven series in each round, with the NBA Finals concluding no later than Oct. 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...sney-world-sets-plan-for-coronavirus-testing/
I know we all want the Suns to win the Championship. They go through all this just to earn the 8th seed, and I would be happy with that.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we all want the Suns to win the Championship. They go through all this just toearn the 8th seed, and I would be happy with that.

The same here. If the Suns somehow earned the 8th seed I would be ecstatic. They haven't made the playoffs since the 2009–10 season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams left out of the 22 team format are looking for other ways to keep their players active.

As the rest of the NBA prepares to restart the 2019-20 season with training camps, regular-season games and playoffs beginning in July, teams left out of the 22-team format and facing a possible nine-month hiatus between games are seeking unprecedented offseason access to players, sources said.

Most of the eight teams whose seasons have ended -- including Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota and New York -- are pushing to engage in joint practices as ramp-ups for regional summer leagues in August, sources said. For example, the Pistons and Cavaliers have discussed the possibility of joint practices as a prelude to a mini-pod of games, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-mulling-ways-keep-players-active-amid-hiatus

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Main, I'm just joking around, you know that right? I know you know it's 22 teams and not 22 games. I appreciate the news.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since teams have played an unequal amount of games, winning percentage could be a factor in determining final standings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA is working on a plan for replacement players due to those testing positive for the coronavirus and serious injury.

If COVID-19 or a serious injury strikes a team during training camps or the eight regular-season seeding games, there are expected to be no limitations on the number of players a team could sign to replace those lost, but there would be restrictions on those in the pool of eligible players, sources said.

Eligible replacement players probably will have had to be signed in the NBA or G League or be on training camp contracts this season, sources said. Under these restrictions, for example, no team could sign veteran Jamal Crawford -- who went unsigned all season -- or an international player.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ng-how-replace-players-due-injury-coronavirus

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still can't believe Jamal Crawford went unsigned. He was the only vet on the team last season worth a damn. He played a role he hadn't in over a decade, PG, and had a Kobe-esque final performance by throwing up 51 against the Mavericks to end the season. I held out hopes the Suns would bring him all season, especially when Tyler Johnson was let go. They needed a bench scorer like him all year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still can't believe Jamal Crawford went unsigned. He was the only vet on the team last season worth a damn. He played a role he hadn't in over a decade, PG, and had a Kobe-esque final performance by throwing up 51 against the Mavericks to end the season. I held out hopes the Suns would bring him all season, especially when Tyler Johnson was let go. They needed a bench scorer like him all year.

Also read Jamal Crawford will not be eligible to play in the NBA 22 team format in Orlando either.

Eligible replacement players probably will have had to be signed in the NBA or G League or be on training camp contracts this season, sources said. Under these restrictions, for example, no team could sign veteran Jamal Crawford -- who went unsigned all season -- or an international player.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ng-how-replace-players-due-injury-coronavirus

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also read Jamal Crawford will not be eligible to play in the NBA 22 team format in Orlando either.

Yeah I tried quoting that part from your previous post when I made mine but it wouldn't let me since it was a quote within yours. Can't quote a quote, apparently.

That's likely it for his career now. I suppose there's a small chance he'll latch on somewhere next year if there is as short of an offseason as rumored but I wouldn't bet on it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's because James Jones refused to acknowledge that Elie Okobo, Ty Jerome and Cam Johnson aren't ready for the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried quoting that part from your previous post when I made mine but it wouldn't let me since it was a quote within yours. Can't quote a quote, apparently.

That's likely it for his career now. I suppose there's a small chance he'll latch on somewhere next year if there is as short of an offseason as rumored but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm guessing Crawford's NBA career is over but I'm willing to be surprised. I thought he should have been on a team this past season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He’s the worst defender in the league and would be our 2nd best PG by a mile. What does that tell you.