Plan to play 2019-20 NBA season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to Robert Sarver on Arizona Sports.

Sarver says Suns players are excited about opportunity to return to play. They will play at least 8 regular season games.

Revenue generated is community revenue without fans so the economic benefit is not as much but it gives fans a chance to see the players play. He says players always want to play.

Kelly Oubre is expected to return to play. The same with Frank Kaminsky.

Sarver cautions there is a lot of work ahead before play is resumed in Orlando. Expects a December 1st resumption of play next season.

He always wanted as many teams as possible to play.

Salary cap for next season is hard to predict. A number of unknows about the numbers. He wouldn't be surprised if the salary cap number declined.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So before all this happned, there was talk of moving the season start to 12/25/2020 for the player's health. I don't think that ever got set in stone. I believe it was something the league was considering. I remember most sports analysts were saying they did not watch the NBA until those Christmas games anyway.

It looks like December 1st is the date the NBA has mostly agreed upon to start next season but there are still too many questions about this season to set anything in stone.

I think diehard fans watch the NBA anytime it is played.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some expectations about play in Orlando.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of these dates may need to be negotiated with NBPA.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

NBA’s tentative Nov. 10 training camp/Dec. 1 season opener targets for 2020-21 season surfaced as a quick-turnaround to many, including NBPA executive director Michele Roberts: “I was surprised to see it,” she tells ESPN. Those dates are likely to require negotiation with union.
3:39 PM · Jun 4, 2020

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Kudos to Silver and the NBAPA for getting this ball bouncing again. 'Jones-ing' so much for pro/college
team sports to resume, I don't even care about the revised covid-era NBA playoff format. Play ball, any ball,
bouncing, oval shaped, stitched, and even a ball that looks like my wife's home made biscuits, (puck)!
Rooting hard for the return of ALL organized team sports.
Hope everyone here, is safe and healthy!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

D’Antoni is 69??!??

It's funny how that happens. Doesn't seem so long ago D'Antoni and Gentry coached the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This paragraph explains what it would take for a play-in team to make the playoffs over an 8th seeded team.

From Duane Rankin at azcentral:

If the team with the eighth-best combined record in its conference (Team A) is four games or fewer ahead of the team with the ninth-best combined record in the same conference (Team B), then Teams A and B would compete in a play-in tournament to determine the eighth playoff seed. To earn the eighth playoff seed, Team A would need to defeat Team B once and Team B would need to defeat Team A two games in a row.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ontinue-nba-season-22-team-format/3141995001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad thing is, Suns lose the first two games, they are pretty much eliminated. Guess we'll see a bunch of our G-Leaguers playing.

An article at Arizona Sports suggests you may be right if the Suns are eliminated.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Thursday that the league will have all 22 teams in Orlando play eight games over 16 days, a high-paced schedule the Suns could be careful with for the minutes of players like Oubre, Devin Booker and Ricky Rubio.

With the Suns having five teams ahead of them for the two potential play-in spots after eight games, it wouldn’t be surprising for them to pull back on some players’ involvement, especially in the back-half of the schedule when they could already be eliminated.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...rn-from-meniscus-surgery-for-suns-in-orlando/