ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They are
Kurt Warner
Larry Fitzgerald
Larry Wilson
Dan Dierdorf
Jimmy Conzelman

I suspect the latter name threw most of you. He was the Cards successful coach during the forties when they actually were an NFL power.

I’d have to have Ollie Matson on my list maybe in place of Deirdorf. I know the trenches never get their due. He was the Barry Sanders of his era. Prior to so much national TV, no one knows these great players. Dick “Night Train” Lane who made 4 of his 7 Pro Bowls as a Card might be close as well. Both of them got too expensive for Dollar Bill to keep. Great players like Charley Trippi and Aeneas Williams would be far more prominent if surrounded by quality personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They are
Kurt Warner
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Dan Dierdorf
Jimmy Conzelman

I suspect the latter name threw most of you. He was the Cards successful coach during the forties when they actually were an NFL power.

I’d have to have Ollie Matson on my list maybe in place of Deirdorf. I know the trenches never get their due. He was the Barry Sanders of his era. Prior to so much national TV, no one knows these great players. Dick “Night Train” Lane who made 4 of his 7 Pro Bowls as a Card might be close as well. Both of them got too expensive for Dollar Bill to keep. Great players like Charley Trippi and Aeneas Williams would be far more prominent if surrounded by quality personnel.
I'm guessing one of those Larrys is supposed to be Fitz? Or Adrian Wilson?

Kurt gets too much hype. Great guy, very good player in spurts, but honestly he doesn't seem like "ours." I still kinda get the impression that the Rams mattered more to him and always will. Maybe that's a little different now that they're in LA though.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kurt gets too much hype. Great guy, very good player in spurts, but honestly he doesn't seem like "ours." I still kinda get the impression that the Rams mattered more to him and always will. Maybe that's a little different now that they're in LA though.

I fixed it for him

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree, Warner was good for us etc., but I too would have put Matson or Lane on the list.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warner wasn’t with us long enough to be on that list. IMO, that HC shouldn’t be on the list either. Fitz & Larry Wilson are definitely givens. After that, many names can be factored in.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Sorry, brain freeze

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are
Kurt Warner
Larry Fitzgerald
Larry Wilson
Dan Dierdorf
Jimmy Conzelman

Night Train Lane should 100% be on there. He still holds the single season INT record of 14 in a season on 12 games. Even at 16 games I don't believe 14 INTs will ever be broken. The NFL leader last year had 6.

Teams only averaged 335 pass attempts then. Goff and Winston each took 626 pass attempts alone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Night Train Lane should 100% be on there. He still holds the single season INT record of 14 in a season on 12 games. Even at 16 games I don't believe 14 INTs will ever be broken. The NFL leader last year had 6.

Teams only averaged 335 pass attempts then. Goff and Winston each took 626 pass attempts alone.

Night Train was a beast, but he only played 5 years with the Cardinals. For that reason alone, he cannot be on the list.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Night Train was a beast, but he only played 5 years with the Cardinals. For that reason alone, he cannot be on the list.
I noted that qualifier as well. Dollar Bill’s dumping his best players because they cost too much makes this task much harder. It also made it virtually impossible for a coach to be consistently competitive.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really thought Aeneas Williams was excellent. He just didn't get thrown at much. I don't know if I wouldn't pick him first.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it amazing how many fans have followed the Cardinals through their journeys. As a local fan, if the Cardinals left, I would cease to care about them... hell, if anything I would view their departure as an act of betrayal and I'd probably openly root against them. But... I am a local fan, if there was some team that I adopted outside of my locality then I might not care about where they played.

That said, how the crap does a Cardinal "franchise" top 5 not have Night Train Lane in it? I don't give half a crap about the pre-Phoenix/Arizona years but I do know that the Night Train was one of the greatest defensive players of all time.