ASU Football 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson will return to Arizona State which should help the defense.

The development appears to be a major boost for a defense that needs more pass rush help as it transitions from a 3-3-5 to a 4-3 front with junior Jermayne Lole and redshirt freshman Stephon Wright moving inside from end to 3-technique tackle. Johnson is expected to transition from linebacker to defensive end, where he could compete for a starting role.

When healthy, Johnson was arguably the team's best edge pass rusher during the last two seasons. He figures to be an asset for first-year defensive line coach Robert Rodriguez as the team looks to build out its capability of getting to opposing quarterbacks on the outside.

https://247sports.com/college/arizo...erce-Marvin-Lewis-Robert-Rodriguez-145773664/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UNLV is trying to adjust game their schedule so it can play Arizona State at Allegiant Stadium this fall.

The Las Vegas Raiders are reportedly willing to let Arizona State and UNLV football play one another at their new Allegiant Stadium this fall, contingent upon another game being moved.

ASU is scheduled to play at UNLV on Sept. 12 at Sam Boyd Stadium, which is normally the Rebels’ home. UNLV is set to play its non-conference games there, but its in-conference games are scheduled for Allegiant Stadium, the new home of the Raiders after they move to Las Vegas from Oakland.

Now, UNLV is trying to add its game against the Sun Devils to the schedule of games at Allegiant.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...ld-play-unlv-at-raiders-new-stadium-in-vegas/

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Turk is allowed to return to Sun Devils by NCAA. Yea!

From azcentral:

Punter MIchael Turk declared for the NFL draft and signed with an agent but was ultimately not selected or signed by any team as an undrafted free agent.

The school applied for a special waiver in hope of getting Turk's eligibility restored. The school cited the coronavirus pandemic as special circumstances since ASU's Pro Day was canceled. The pandemic also prevented Turk, and others, from having private workouts for teams which is a usual occurrence in advance of the draft.

An ASU spokesman said today that school was notified that their request was approved and that Turk would be able to return.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ootball-after-special-ncaa-waiver/3139267001/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really understood why a punter would leave school early like that. Poor decision making by him.

Minimally I thought an NFL team would sign Turk as a free agent. Their loss and our gain. Still think he will be a punter in the NFL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Monday, Arizona state plan for 27 football players to begin voluntary workouts including Jayden Daniels.

ASU plans for 27 football players including quarterback Jayden Daniels to begin voluntary workouts in groups of nine starting Monday provided they are cleared following physicals including COVID-19 testing for those returning to Tempe from another location.

Additional athletes will join in ensuing weeks with priority for football, volleyball, soccer and the men's and women's basketball teams. Athletes traveling domestically to Tempe will have a seven-day quarantine period and those traveling internationally 14 days before being allowed to participate in the voluntary workouts with strength coaches.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...otball-players-voluntary-workouts/3177118001/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Pac-12 eliminates non-conference schedule. Sun Devils will open play at USC.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if this may finally push independents into conferences?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this may finally push independents into conferences?

Good point but it might be too late for the up coming college season. Maybe the teams slighted end up playing each other.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State gets 2021 commitment from 4 star receiver Lonyatta "Junior" Alexander out of Kentucky.

From Michelle Gardner Arizona Republic:

The Arizona State football program has landed a commitment from the second four-star athlete for the 2021 class as wide receiver Lonyatta "Junior" Alexander out of Kennedy Catholic in Burien, Washington announced his decision on social media today.

He is the 11th known commitment for the next recruiting cycle. He is the second commitment of the day and third in as many for the Sun Devils.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...s-commitment-4-star-wide-receiver/5350995002/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State gets commitment from cornerback Robert Regan.

The Arizona State football program landed its fifth recruit in the last week with cornerback Robert Regan of Orange (California) Lutheran announcing his decision on social media Monday.

Regan (6-foot, 180 lbs.) picked ASU out of a final seven that also included Wisconsin, Oregon State, Fresno State, Boise State, Utah and Kansas. He had 17 offers with Florida, Auburn, Oregon and LSU among the others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...lifornia-corner-back-robert-regan/ar-BB16Yp0f

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More on the potential boycott:

Former Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter recently revealed there's growing unrest among a few dozen players in the Pac-12 about the upcoming college football season and that level of worry has now made it to the league office in an effort to increase health insurance past graduation and ensure enhanced player safety this fall during a global pandemic.

Carpenter, who hosts a college football podcast and frequently appears on sports radio, wrote Friday in a string of tweets about a player group from the University of California that initiated these demands, that have since garnered support from other Pac-12 teams.

"Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the Pac-12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or More players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list," Carpenter tweeted. "The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season.

"Things they r asking 4 is 50/50 rev share, 6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protocols etc etc...The player led group is being spearheaded at Cal Football & they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams..There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly."

The Pac-12's league office has not commented on the player group's demands.

https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-1...rnia-Oregon-USC-UCLA-Arizona-State-149309979/

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The timing seems so wrong on this with the football season in question and the universities operating on a tight budget because of the coronavirus.

Also there seems to be a movement to pay student athletes.

A big part of this is a demand for additional protections for the players from COVID-19, so that seems very timely.

Good point though on the revenue sharing. Not sure how that is supposed to fly right now during this tumultuous time we are living in. So many institutions, local governments, businesses, etc. are hurting right now. And we haven't seen the full economic impact yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big part of this is a demand for additional protections for the players from COVID-19, so that seems very timely.

Good point though on the revenue sharing. Not sure how that is supposed to fly right now during this tumultuous time we are living in. So many institutions, local governments, businesses, etc. are hurting right now. And we haven't seen the full economic impact yet.

Protection against the coronavirus is definitely a reasonable request but it sounds like the athletes want a lot more and 6 years of insurance upon graduation. I'm not against some of it but the timing seems so wrong to discuss something like revenue sharing.

"Things they r asking 4 is 50/50 rev share, 6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protocols etc etc...The player led group is being spearheaded at Cal Football & they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams..There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly."

https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-1...rnia-Oregon-USC-UCLA-Arizona-State-149309979/

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Protection against the coronavirus is definitely a reasonable request but it sounds like the athletes want a lot more and 6 years of insurance upon graduation. I'm not against some of it but the timing seems so wrong to discuss something like revenue sharing.

Timing seems right to me. They are understanding their level of power right now...may as well wield it. Fact is, most people (majority) are behind the players regarding the money thing these days. Covid shouldn't alter the situation but what these players need to realize is this is not something that will be put together in a month.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing seems right to me. They are understanding their level of power right now...may as well wield it. Fact is, most people (majority) are behind the players regarding the money thing these days. Covid shouldn't alter the situation but what these players need to realize is this is not something that will be put together in a month.

I think most people agree college players should get compensation especially when colleges make big money off their efforts. However, it's going to take time to get everything they want especially since the coronavirus has impacted revenue. Right now, I'm just hoping for a season.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think most people agree college players should get compensation especially when colleges make big money off their efforts. However, it's going to take time to get everything they want especially since the coronavirus has impacted revenue. Right now, I'm just hoping for a season.

I agree wholeheartedly and these players must understand they are fighting for the future players and likely not themselves. As I said, a deal like that doesn't materialize in a month.

I am desperate for a season since I have largely moved away from the NFL.