The 2021 Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Assuming there is something that resembles a college football season in 2020, who might the Cards target. I’m assuming they pick in the middle of the pack. Also, as crazy as things may be, these guys may go way up or way down in the rankings. However, if the draft were held tomorrow, here’s three names I think the Cards would consider. Rashod Bateman, WR, Minn; Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, ND and Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford are names that jump out at me.

Paulson Adebo had a fabulous sophomore year, but then appeared to assume he had it made and authored a mediocre junior season. Adebo has the size/speed ratio every team is seeking. He has long arms, good strength and good hands. He’s adept at press coverage but is also sound playing man. He offers a nice burst and shows good timing when closing on a receiver.

He willingly supports against the run and seems quite happy to play a physical game. He figures to add weight and strength before the Combine and still provide track runner timing.

He has a tendency to peek into the backfield and occasionally loses contact with the receiver. My experience is that this fault is correctable. In his junior year he was constantly matched against the opposition’s best receiver. Stanford’s mediocre pass rush constantly exposed Adebo to double moves. He didn't adjust well and when beaten he seemed to lose confidence. I expect a return to form this season.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah began his career with injury setbacks. Finally last season he was healthy and emerged as one of the top ILB prospects. He was the dominant player in the middle of the ND defense and went from good to outstanding by season’s end.

He brings outstanding agility, plus speed for the position and he’s rarely confused by play action and misdirection. He’s solid against the run, the pass and he gets his share of QB sacks as well. Very sound at causing turnovers, he has a knack for punching the ball from opponent’s hands.

He has a great motor and is excellent in pursuit from sideline to sideline. He’s very active and has a knack for quickly diagnosing plays and shifting to improve his position. He’s a very sound tackler.

He was seldom used in pass protection, so likely that portion of his game will need further development. Considering his athletic prowess there is every reason to believe he will be effective in that role as well.

Rashod Bateman had a great 2029. If you followed my evaluations last season you know I was over the moon about Minnesota’s starting receiver duo.

Tyler Johnson was a steal in last year’s draft. Bateman is far better and likely a true number one receiver in waiting. He’s like Hopkins & Fitz, not a blazer but fast enough to be effective. He has unbelievable hands and invariably wins contested balls. Add in outstanding body control and totally focused concentration and it’s easy to see why he’s so effective. As the season progressed he also got better at high pointing the ball.

Johnson & Bateman had the advantage of playing for one of the next great college coaches. PJ Fleck would have been a solid NFL receiver had he not been undersized. I believe he will be remembered as a great developer of wide receivers. These guys are NFL ready.

Bateman loves big games and seems to always rise to the occasion. Down the stretch last season he was unstoppable. Bateman is a solid route runner and his YAC skills are developing.

He needs work on blocking but beyond that I expect him to contribute year one.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good picks. LSU has another awesome receiver, can't remember his name but he was also elite like Bateman. I think CB will be a critical spot, and we need to think about the future there. We will see how the D line plays this year, lots of new faces, would definitely consider a top player there as well

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Woah..... A fun project!

My first thought is on improving our secondary through youth.

Top 15?
Patrick Surtain & Shaun Wade have had the battles already. And I like Marvin Wilson & Greg Rousseau.

15 to 20?
the CB's aren't that enticing but Creed Humphrey is still square in my sights. Along with Dylan Moses, Micah Parsons, & Jaylen Waddle.

20 to 32?
Maybe still Humphrey, Pat Freiermuth, & Paulson Adebo all make some sense.

The Zero chance superstars have to be Jamar Chase, Pat Surtain, & Penei Sewell (Monster). None will be available after pick 7 IMO. Chase & Sewell are top 4 or 5.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea on actual players right now, but here is the direction positionally I'd go with our first 4 picks in 2021:
1) edge (work him in rotation before we need him full time)
2) RB (get a good year out of Drake and let him cash in with another team)
3) OG/C (back up immediately, take over one of the interior position in a year or 2)
5) WR or CB (try to find a diamond in the rough)
Would then go CB with the 32nd overall pick in 2022 :rockon:

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I have no idea on actual players right now, but here is the direction positionally I'd go with our first 4 picks in 2021:
1) edge (work him in rotation before we need him full time)
2) RB (get a good year out of Drake and let him cash in with another team)
3) OG/C (back up immediately, take over one of the interior position in a year or 2)
5) WR or CB (try to find a diamond in the rough)
Would then go CB with the 32nd overall pick in 2022 :rockon:
Sadly not a great draft for edge rushers unless one emerges. RB is fine but not in round 1. The OG/C would likely be Dr Jones choice, Creed Humphrey. Good draft for receivers & CBs so there will be a few buried treasures.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sadly not a great draft for edge rushers unless one emerges. RB is fine but not in round 1. The OG/C would likely be Dr Jones choice, Creed Humphrey. Good draft for receivers & CBs so there will be a few buried treasures.
I like Rashed Jr, Rousseau & Tryon but I think a CB like Surtain Jr would be too good to pass up in Round 1 if he is available when we are on the clock.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming we pick around 16, I want their to be a Pouncey type center available and we take him. Hell reach if you have to. Let's build the Oline from the inside out.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I remember when Calais Campbell was a unanimous top 5 pick going into the draft going into the season and ended up dropping to us. No one knows what this college season holds. If I am Trevor Lawrence, I am wishing I moved up a grade in elementary school. So many unknowns for the upcoming college season

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yes, detailed contract tracing strongly indicates it’s rare an a symptomatic person infects another. This is huge...
Conflicting info continues to come out.

As one so-called "expert" put it: "Decades from now, we'll look back on not getting some important stuff right - tantamount to focusing on "leeches" as a cure for flu.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
yes, detailed contract tracing strongly indicates it’s rare an a symptomatic person infects another. This is huge...
This WHO pronouncement ignores significant data that indicates asymtomatic people can actually be very capable of spreading the disease a day or two before they become symptomatic. Sure many never show symptoms and therefore won’t be dangerous, but you never know who in advance will later develop symptoms. If one college players dies, I predict the pressure to end the season will be hard to ignore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave