What Cardinal offense was the best?

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Was it the 70s with Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray, Jackie Smith and that all star offensive line?

Don’t forget the 80s with Neil Lomax, Ottis Anderson, Roy Green, and Luis Sharpe?

Or the 2000s with Kurt Warner, Edgerrin James, Fitz and Boldin?

Maybe this current offense is the one!

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I watched all of these offenses. And they all had enough talent to go all the way.
But the Kurt Warner lead offense was pretty special!
I do think that our current offense has potential to be the best.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man if neil Lomax stayed healthy he could've put up awesome num

Warner and palmer yrs after that it kinda sucks lol

Hoping Murray gets added to the list

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murray is the most talented qb Cardinals ever had so if it works out for him mentally

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I think the BA/Palmer offenses were the best, then KW/Warner, then Stallings/Lomax. I was born in the mid-70's and wasn't watching football quite yet.

The BA/Palmer offense was damn near unstoppable. Eventually we all saw how it was eventually stopped (dead in its tracks), but the run they had was lights out. Palmer injuring his thumb hurt bad. He was not the same after that.

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes but in its day, the Don Coryell “Cardiac Cards“ we’re pretty damn good. Not sure why they couldn’t be consistent but there was no better O Line. I think they still hold the record for fewest sacks allowed in a season (7 or 8), granted it was a 14 game season but still outstanding! I think Hart was good but too many Ints, he did love to sling it though. Go back and watch some of those T. Metcalf runs...WOW! Like Barry Sanders! And there was nobody faster than Mel Gray!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of the era’s mentioned:

Best QB - Warner, but Lomax was pretty damn good. K1 has potential to be outstanding.

Best OL - The 70’s group

Best RB’s - OJ Anderson, then Metcalf

Best WR group - Fitz, Bolden, Breasten. Great WR’s straight through from the 60’s on up!!

The one constant deficiency since the 60’s is a consistent defense. The one year our D was legit & we had Lindley under center

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
The Otis, Edge, Beanie, CJ lead offenses were the best, pound the numbers all you want. No QB did worth a poot except when they balanced it up against NFL defenses. We really really really sucked the 2nd 1/2 of 2008 season, until Edge was reinserted, lead us through the playoffs then had 10 runs in the stupid bowl!

Beanie lead us to a 3 score lead early against the packers in 09 playoffs, before Rodgers Warner pass fest, best passing game I ever seen! Would we have even competed if we didn’t have the big lead, lead by Beanie? Not imo. Then Less then 10 rushes in the saints blow out loss that killed and retired Kurt! That includes THT 80 yard TD run to start the game! That is stupid football, no other way to see it.

‘CJ was leading the NFL in rushing when BA made the playoffs with Palmer , DJ finished up great, was focused at pass catching the next year. Run games goes to crap, cards goes to crap, everytime.

I mean if someone notices we we had the fewest rush attempts and yardage for over a decade, except for these spurts of success. We really ducked historically otherwise, killed qbs, olines, blamed them when it was poor game planning by coaches that no team has ever executed.

Otis was a beast, without him no success in that era either.

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Otis was a beast, without him no su
I’m sure you’re talking about Otis Anderson however Jim Otis was a fullback in front of Terry Metcalf in the 70s and was 1000 yard rusher in a 14 game season, not bad and he complemented Metcalf pretty well. A big reason for the success of Coryells offense. Dude could definitely move the chains!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m sure you’re talking about Otis Anderson however Jim Otis was a fullback in front of Terry Metcalf in the 70s and was 1000 yard rusher in a 14 game season, not bad and he complemented Metcalf pretty well. A big reason for the success of Coryells offense. Dude could definitely move the chains!
Yea I was but am happy to remember Jim now thanks! I mean great passing heavy attack, same as whisenhunts falcons, still depend on a run game to balance them up- run game does not depend on the pass game, which is my tiring point always. In fact they need a stud back like Faulk to win a championship. New school, old school hadn’t mattered.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not going to lie, that Panthers game was one of the most cathartic experiences I've ever had as a football fan. No one picked us to even compete, and the talking heads' reactions at halftime were priceless.

I remember Dockett sarcastically saying that the Panthers Defense was the best in history and we were just lucky to have the opportunity to be on the field and play with them

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Of the era’s mentioned:

Best QB - Warner, but Lomax was pretty damn good. K1 has potential to be outstanding.

Best OL - The 70’s group

Best RB’s - OJ Anderson, then Metcalf

Best WR group - Fitz, Bolden, Breasten. Great WR’s straight through from the 60’s on up!!

The one constant deficiency since the 60’s is a consistent defense. The one year our D was legit & we had Lindley under center

Forgive me, but I am using your post for part of my answer, because you bring a lot of questions to the table.

Best offense how so?

For 1 season, or are we talking a core group over a few seasons?

That matters because if we are talking 1 season I have different answers than if we are talking a core group. The 1970's team was together......first, before I was born, and second, was before free agency. It makes a difference.

I am going to answer this question and put my own clause that it has to be for one season.

Top Offense:

2009 Ariizona Cardinals - That offense was practically unstoppable. Warner, in my mind was at his best in his career. I do not remember a team that could go out and just embarrass teams like that offense did.

2015 Arizona Cardinals - (With a nod to the 2014 squad). I will ALWAYS think to myself. What if Tyrann Mathieu doesn't get hurt, what if Dwaste wasn't a waste. What if this team peaked later on in the season. The 2009 offense was plain deadly from anywhere. This offense was the most explosive offense I have every witnessed live.

I never saw the 1970's Cardinals live, since I was not alive. I would have to reverse engineer the team based on stats, but at a glance, give me the year Otis Anderson had the most rushing yards. The Cardinals could always pass, but I could not imagine Anderson at his peak, the dude was HUGE for a running back.

Best QB: Kurt Warner, the 1-armed, glove version, guy was locked in and close to a madman every game.

Best WR: Fitzgerald, 2008. If you are a fan that has been alive during his career and missed the playoff games he has been in, then I feel sorry for you. No one is even close. Boldin in 2005 was special, that is a season where as a Cardinals fan you watched one of the best seasons any player can have, and the rest of the NFL world was oblivious to it. I will tell you someone that is in the top 5, maybe top 3, David Boston. If we are talking 1 season, David Boston is on the list, and John Brown in 2015 is in the conversation.

Best OL: N/A

Best RB: David Johnson 2nd year was pretty special

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose