Devin Vassell

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Vassell might be an option if the Suns draft around number 10. He is a 19.64 year old sophomore out of Florida State.

Vassell plays shooting guard/small forward, stands 6' 7" and weighs 194 pounds. He is not only considered an elite shooter but an excellent defender as well.

His defense really stands out.

This is how ESPN describes him:

The 6-foot-7 guard led FSU in scoring with 12.7 points per game and also averaged 5.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.0 blocks and 1.4 steals per game for the ACC regular-season champion Seminoles.

Vassell, 19, is seen as a strong defender with the ability to get blocks and steals, and he has an impressive vertical and wingspan.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ll-entering-nba-draft-two-years-florida-state

In the mocks, Tankathon has Vassell ranked at #12, NBA Draft Room #16 and NBADraft.net #30.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video that shows his strengths.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just what we need...yet another wing, not to mention a carbon copy of Mikal Bridges...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
He's gonna make a team better with his in game IQ. Purely a 3&D wing prospect though. Even though they are good to have. Looks like he'll be a good role player for someone.

Speaking as a Suns fan though, could we really take ANOTHER wing prospect? I mean, I like Vassell, but he's no where close to Mikal defensively and not near the shooter that Cam is. And those guys are behind Tsunami Papi. I see no room for him on this squad.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's gonna make a team better with his in game IQ. Purely a 3&D wing prospect though. Even though they are good to have. Looks like he'll be a good role player for someone.

Speaking as a Suns fan though, could we really take ANOTHER wing prospect? I mean, I like Vassell, but he's no where close to Mikal defensively and not near the shooter that Cam is. And those guys are behind Tsunami Papi. I see no room for him on this squad.

It's hard to say but I can see Vassell being a James Jones type of player. Vassell is not only an elite shooter but even a better defender. We saw how Jones values shooters in the last draft.

Also we haven't heard much about Oubre's recovery after surgery.

Personally I would prefer a power forward, point guard or a combo guard with the Suns first round pick.

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic spoke highly of Vassell and has him ranked at #10 on their big board.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only way I would even consider Vassell at 10 is if we had a trade in place involving Oubre and either Bridges or Cam Johnson in exchange for a much-needed power forward.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think that we would have any interest in Vassell, but let’s not forget that we almost traded our first round pick for Kennard, so maybe we will have more interest in a player like Vassel than I would of originally thought.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think that we would have any interest in Vassell, but let’s not forget that we almost traded our first round pick for Kennard, so maybe we will have more interest in a player like Vassel than I would of originally thought.

James Jones might consider Vassell a safe pick with his defense and shooting.

JerkFace

Reaction score
After hearing Monty talk yesterday I think there is even a better chance we strongly look at a player like Vassell. He said he wants to find 12+ minutes next year where he can play Booker at the PG position. Combine that with the 12ish minutes that Booker is on the bench and we know have 24+ minutes available at the backup SG position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After hearing Monty talk yesterday I think there is even a better chance we strongly look at a player like Vassell. He said he wants to find 12+ minutes next year where he can play Booker at the PG position. Combine that with the 12ish minutes that Booker is on the bench and we know have 24+ minutes available at the backup SG position.

So we are going back to the twice-failed Point Book experiment a THIRD time? Absolute lunacy.

If Monty really said that, either I am no longer a fan of Monty as a coach, or more likely Monty is being neutered by Sarver, who continues to call the shots.

#SarverOut

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So we are going back to the twice-failed Point Book experiment a THIRD time? Absolute lunacy.

If Monty really said that, either I am no longer a fan of Monty as a coach, or more likely Monty is being neutered by Sarver, who continues to call the shots.

#SarverOut

When Sarver announced during the season that he, the GM and the Head Coach are a "triangle of communications", that was made quite clear.

We should no longer be surprised. It is what it is!

I guess Sarver will be announcing soon that . . . "the (managing partner) has the authority to do what the (managing partner) has the authority to do, which is very powerful."

And that "the (managing partner) calls the shots".

Too bad Suns fans can't vote Sarver out on November 3rd. :rolleyes: 'Sorry for the
political reference, but the similarity is overwhelming.

Sarver is the manager of the investors. Not of the GM, not of the coaches. Just as the Board of Directors of any corporation.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excellent defender, solid shooter. Someone might get a steal with him. Yes, very similar to Bridges. You can never have enough 3-and-D players, but hardly can see his place in the Suns rotation.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Excellent defender, solid shooter. Someone might get a steal with him. Yes, very similar to Bridges. You can never have enough 3-and-D players, but hardly can see his place in the Suns rotation.
I could see him filling whatever rotational role we had in mind for Kennard when we tried to trade for him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I could see him filling whatever rotational role we had in mind for Kennard when we tried to trade for him.

I would rather we actually fill the holes we have on the roster, as opposed to replicating what we already have (in this case Mikal Bridges).

JerkFace

Reaction score
I would rather we actually fill the holes we have on the roster, as opposed to replicating what we already have (in this case Mikal Bridges).
Exactly... and we have so many holes on this roster that taking the best player available will inevitably fill one or give us the greatest valued chip in perusing a better solution via trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly... and we have so many holes on this roster that taking the best player available will inevitably fill one or give us the greatest valued chip in perusing a better solution via trade.

Back to waiting for the other shoe to drop via trade, again...

How has that worked out for us of late?

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love me some point Book, just needed some seasoning.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I may be close to done with this team if they pick another wing, especially if they don't trade one of the ones the have or they pass on some PF that falls to them

JerkFace

Reaction score

JerkFace

Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He sort of gives off vibes like a player the Suns might draft... what they want in a player.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave