P2 on a zoom call

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Our CB room is gonna be super light in the summer of 2021 unless he sucks this year, which would mean..... It's super light now.

That's my take.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also..... this guy is one of the kings of hyperbole in the Cardinals locker room. I wish he would have come out more like JJ Watt today rather than give us the normal PP speak each off season.

What he should be saying:
  • He didn't earn his paycheck in at least one of the 4 years he has had his current deal.
  • Because of that, it would be premature to talk contract right now. "I Didn't earn it".
  • Last year was a huge embarrassment for him personally and as a former pro-bowler and team captain.
  • Nowhere to go but up as a player, leader, and person.
  • He thinks he is worth a big deal and is doing everything possible to prove that in 2020.
  • Taking that mindset into the 2020 season as a way to earn the last year of his deal and compel the front office to compensate him handsomely.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also..... this guy is one of the kings of hyperbole in the Cardinals locker room. I wish he would have come out more like JJ Watt today rather than give us the normal PP speak each off season.

• He didn't earn his paycheck in at least one of the 4 years he has had his current deal.
  • Because of that, it would be premature to talk contract right now. "I Didn't earn it".
  • Last year was a huge embarrassment for him personally and as a former pro-bowler and team captain.
  • He thinks he is worth a big deal and is doing everything possible to prove that in 2020.
  • Taking that mindset into the 2020 season as a way to earn the last year of his deal and compel the front office to compensate him handsomely.
Probably one of the few things I like about current Peterson. Doesn’t give typical cliche answers like JJ.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yea, this “moving to Safety” talk needs to stop. Imagine having the last line of defense making business decisions....weekly.

Not everybody is Charles Woodson.

Even more lame if Jalen Thompson capitalizes on his rookie season & ascends into being a very good player.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score

Spot on! As much as I like Pat’s game, he’s is one of the least self-aware athletes I’ve ever heard. Unfortunately he lives in an absolute fantasy land most of the time.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yea, this “moving to Safety” talk needs to stop. Imagine having the last line of defense making business decisions....weekly.

Not everybody is Charles Woodson.

Even more lame if Jalen Thompson capitalizes on his rookie season & ascends into being a very good player.

It's that or the career will die earlier. Business decisions would have to go away. Sink or swim.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Probably one of the few things I like about current Peterson. Doesn’t give typical cliche answers like JJ.

Huh? Really?

In just this session:
  • He said his skills are still elite. <-- No proof in at least 18 months of that.
  • the window is "Wide Open" for us.
  • "This is definitely going to be a big year".
  • "Championship-Caliber football team".
  • Strong roster "Top-to-Bottom"

I hear similar bravado. Similar exaggeration. Similar chatter each off season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Huh? Really?

In just this session:
  • He said his skills are still elite. <-- No proof in at least 18 months of that.
  • the window is "Wide Open" for us.
  • "This is definitely going to be a big year".
  • "Championship-Caliber football team".
  • Strong roster "Top-to-Bottom"

I hear similar bravado. Similar exaggeration. Similar chatter each off season.
1. He would likely be the first to know if his skills/athletic ability has dropped off and he did look damn good towards the end of the season when he was back in game shape.
2. Given all the moves made on both sides of the ball and the expected growth from KM and KK in year 2 it doesn't seem that outlandish to believe we have a good shot at competing.
3. Refer to #1 and I would expect him to be confident as he didn't get to being one of the best CBs in the game without that confidence.
4/5. Refer to #2.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. He would likely be the first to know if his skills/athletic ability has dropped off and he did look damn good towards the end of the season when he was back in game shape.
2. Given all the moves made on both sides of the ball and the expected growth from KM and KK in year 2 it doesn't seem that outlandish to believe we have a good shot at competing.
3. Refer to #1 and I would expect him to be confident as he didn't get to being one of the best CBs in the game without that confidence.
4/5. Refer to #2.
1. I guess. But he said the same things before his illness, during his early slump on the way back, and also pretty much every time a mic was put in front of his face.

2. Competing is fine. It's the bravado of "Championship caliber" instead of the humility of "We finished in last place last year, are in the strongest division in football, and have a long way to go for a very young team". "I do feel very confident in this group though!"

3. Swagger is fine. I can get that. Especially at his position. But to say he's a top 5 CB at this point might be a stretch until he does prove it again. Gilmore, Slay, Ramsey, White, then maybe Pat? Maybe? Two games at the end of a lost year for him means nothing in my book. Especially after getting torched in a couple games. I.E. Emmanuel Sanders.

4/5. Again..... I would prefer Humility. He hasn't earned a contract yet.

JJ Watt's quote:
Q: “With two years left on your contract and no guaranteed money left, do you want to sign a contract extension this offseason?”

J.J.: ““No, I don’t think that’s necessary. I fully understand and respect the situation that I’m in at the moment and what’s happened in the past few years, so I’m not going to sit here and demand anything because I’m going out there to prove what I’m worth, and I believe that’s the right situation for everybody. I think if I went back and asked for an extension, more money, anything right now, I think that would be the wrong move. I’m just going out there and trying to prove my worth and to help this team win games and do everything that I can to earn and make sure that these people know that I’m worth it.”

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson is clearly not a top 5 & arguably not even top 10 CB anymore though. You guys need to get out of 2016 & join 2020.

Gilmore, Humphrey, White, Ramsey, Hayward, Slay, Sherman, Jones, & arguably Howard & Jaire are all better.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Another great article on the Athletic took a moment to speculate on the PP contract situation and I think Scott Bordow hit the nail on the head.

https://theathletic.com/1843188/2020/05/28/patrick-petersons-contract-what-should-the-cardinals-do/

Use the franchise tag
Don’t be surprised if this winds up being the Cardinals’ decision. By letting Peterson’s contract run out and then placing the franchise tag on him for the 2021 season the Cardinals would ensure having their No. 1 corner for another year without committing to a long-term deal.

If Peterson plays well in 2021 perhaps the Cardinals would then try to sign him to a multiyear, front-loaded deal. If they feel his play has leveled off, they can simply let him go in free agency.

We don't really have any other big names coming due next year since Reddick has been such a bust. Making Pat prove it twice seems like the right way to go about this.

Here is a link to the contracts coming due next year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/arizona-cardinals/

The Franchise tag number for a CB this offseason is $16,338,000. 2.3mm morethan he's making this season. Not egregious IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lmao. I love how guys come out and tell other men how they should act when it comes to money.

uh yeah I didn’t really work my hardest and I shouldn’t be getting as much. I have a lot to prove- said no one ever as they sit on a sports message board in there office while they should be working

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. I guess. But he said the same things before his illness, during his early slump on the way back, and also pretty much every time a mic was put in front of his face.

2. Competing is fine. It's the bravado of "Championship caliber" instead of the humility of "We finished in last place last year, are in the strongest division in football, and have a long way to go for a very young team". "I do feel very confident in this group though!"

3. Swagger is fine. I can get that. Especially at his position. But to say he's a top 5 CB at this point might be a stretch until he does prove it again. Gilmore, Slay, Ramsey, White, then maybe Pat? Maybe? Two games at the end of a lost year for him means nothing in my book. Especially after getting torched in a couple games. I.E. Emmanuel Sanders.

4/5. Again..... I would prefer Humility. He hasn't earned a contract yet.

JJ Watt's quote:

This kills me

would you prefer Peterson also play like Watt the last 4 years also? Cause Watt is and has been an absolute shell since 2015 with 18 being his only good year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lmao. I love how guys come out and tell other men how they should act when it comes to money.

uh yeah I didn’t really work my hardest and I shouldn’t be getting as much. I have a lot to prove- said no one ever as they sit on a sports message board in there office while they should be working

This kills me
Not telling them how they should act. I'm giving my opinion on how I would like a man to act when faced with the question. Be humble.... that's my stance.

My opinion is that I don't like how he acts. Simple.
Your opinion seems to be similar. You don't like how others act. A simple judgement of others.
Hypocrisy kills me too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not telling them how they should act. I'm giving my opinion on how I would like a man to act when faced with the question. Be humble.... that's my stance.

My opinion is that I don't like how he acts. Simple.
Your opinion seems to be similar. You don't like how others act. A simple judgement of others.
Hypocrisy kills me too.

guys typically don’t make it to the very top of there field being a humble aw shucks type of guys.

Oh he thinks he’s the best? Wow what a shock

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is unfortunate...
I'm gonna assume not many players have discussed contract extensions that are currently still under contract for 2020 & beyond? Too much uncertainty about revenue right now. Eventually the negotiations will happen when everything gets back to normal & the money starts rolling back in imo.