The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is part of why I rejected the narrative that the Suns were a national joke. The Knicks are a national joke and no one tries to hide it. Sure, the Suns weren't much better but at least news articles didn't call for doom and gloom like that in the headline.

of course we’re a national joke. Don’t you watch TV

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremonies for the Class of 2020, that includes Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant will be moved to 2021.

Jerry Colangelo, the chairman of the board of the governors for the Hall, told ESPN on Wednesday that enshrinement ceremonies for the Class of 2020, one of the most star-studded lineups ever that includes Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant, will be moved to spring of 2021.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ent-ceremony-pushed-2021-jerry-colangelo-says

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
of course we’re a national joke. Don’t you watch TV

Outside of The Jump with Rachel Nichols and Amin, I don't see the Suns coverage any different than that of other bad teams. Being bad is different than being a laughingstock or a joke of a franchise.

Are the Suns bad? Sure, but they're not any worse than teams like the Kings, Cavs, Hawks, or Timberwolves. Being knocked for being bad is one thing but being discarded and discredited is another and the Suns don't fall in that latter category.

I know Barkley has ripped the organization but that's a little different. When he does bash the Suns he doesn't get Eddie and Shaq to join in with him, it's typically just a Barkley rant as a former player who lives in Phoenix.

When news comes out of someone interviewing with the Suns, the headline doesn't predict failure like that Knicks/Thibs piece. Players aren't questioned in the pieces that announce they signed here or rumors of a player being traded here doesn't talk about them going to basketball purgatory.

Locally the Suns get ripped but that's quite different than being the joke of the NBA. The Suns aren't viewed as relevant enough to be the joke of the league and there have been other organizations that have stunk worse that have kept that title from the Suns as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outside of The Jump with Rachel Nichols and Amin, I don't see the Suns coverage any different than that of other bad teams. Being bad is different than being a laughingstock or a joke of a franchise.

Are the Suns bad? Sure, but they're not any worse than teams like the Kings, Cavs, Hawks, or Timberwolves. Being knocked for being bad is one thing but being discarded and discredited is another and the Suns don't fall in that latter category.

I know Barkley has ripped the organization but that's a little different. When he does bash the Suns he doesn't get Eddie and Shaq to join in with him, it's typically just a Barkley rant as a former player who lives in Phoenix.

When news comes out of someone interviewing with the Suns, the headline doesn't predict failure like that Knicks/Thibs piece. Players aren't questioned in the pieces that announce they signed here or rumors of a player being traded here doesn't talk about them going to basketball purgatory.

Locally the Suns get ripped but that's quite different than being the joke of the NBA. The Suns aren't viewed as relevant enough to be the joke of the league and there have been other organizations that have stunk worse that have kept that title from the Suns as well.

I get it you don’t want to see The Suns as a joke because they belong to us, but no. 100% joke and laughing stock around the country.

we are regarded as dysfunctional as it gets. 5 head coaches in 5 years an owner who puts goats in his GM’s office an arena that hasn’t been updated in 25 years. We get laughed at on every podcast I’ve listened to and pretty much clowned on all TV when they do talk about us.

I get it you don’t want to see it that way but that’s the way it is

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I get it you don’t want to see The Suns as a joke because they belong to us, but no. 100% joke and laughing stock around the country.

we are regarded as dysfunctional as it gets. 5 head coaches in 5 years an owner who puts goats in his GM’s office an arena that hasn’t been updated in 25 years. We get laughed at on every podcast I’ve listened to and pretty much clowned on all TV when they do talk about us.

I get it you don’t want to see it that way but that’s the way it is

"...5 head coaches in 5 years..." This says it all!

"You're fired. You're fired. You're fired. You're fired." Every day a new beginning.

I know this isn't a political site, but the similarity to a man in Washington is sadly overwhelming.

Short attention span.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
National Basketball Coaches Association forms racial injustice and reform committee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Spurs star LaMarcus Aldridge underwent arthroscopic procedure and rotator cuff debridement on his right shoulder and will miss the remainder of the 2019-20 season.
12:00 PM · Jun 8, 2020

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So let's give it a bit just to make sure. This organization ANYTHING can happen. LOL!
I'm not guaranteeing he's going to finish out his contract but he is solid and will be our longest tenured coach in a while. Not that that's a hard thing to do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not guaranteeing he's going to finish out his contract but he is solid and will be our longest tenured coach in a while. Not that that's a hard thing to do.

The Suns don't have much luck as far as keeping coaches for an extended period of time. You need to go back to the 80's to find someone who spent more than 4 years on the bench as the head coach, John MacLeod. Cotton had a few stints as coach so he had more than 4 years as head coach but his longest stint was 4 years from 88-92. D'Antoni had 4 1/2 years as the head coach and Gentry had 3 full seasons and 2 1/2 seasons as the head coach. Most others spent 2-3 years as coach, like Ainge, Skiles, Frank Johnson, and Hornacek.

Monty signed a 5 year contract, which doesn't guarantee he'll be the coach for that long but he'll have the 2nd longest stint as the Suns head coach if he can play out that contract. That is kind of interesting. You would think with the Suns being one of the more successful franchises in NBA history they'd have employed coaches longer but that hasn't been the case.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/coaches.html

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for laying it all out there. Yeah, not a lot of longevity in our coaching ranks. It's been especially bad in the Booker years but hopefully Monty will turn that around. I was surprised to see Ainge had just as many years as Westphal.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Former Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince, who is currently the vice president of basketball affairs for the Memphis Grizzlies, is a candidate for the assistant GM job.

The organization would also welcome a reunion with Chauncey Billups, who has maintained that he is interested in being hired only as general manager, according to a source. The Pistons would prefer to hire Billups, who has no NBA executive experience, as an assistant, where he could learn the ins and outs of working in a front office.
https://sports.yahoo.com/pistons-reportedly-interested-tayshaun-prince-120040066.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron James to assist in effort to energize African Americans to register and vote in the upcoming election.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new and improved Nikola Jokic?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s ever been a player when healthy and motivated that looked like he was toying with other pro athletes.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
⁦‪@wojespn‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

ESPN Sources: Three serious candidates have emerged for the Detroit Pistons GM job: Clippers assistant GM Mark Hughes, Nets assistant GM Jeff Peterson and Thunder VP of Basketball Operations Troy Weaver. Those conversations are continuing this week.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s ever been a player when healthy and motivated that looked like he was toying with other pro athletes.

meh

he’s Dominique Wilkins of his era