Kenyan Drake: My ceiling is as high as I’ll take it

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kenyan Drake did enough last season that the Cardinals wanted to keep him, using the one-year, $8.48 million transition tag on him.

The running back wants a long-term deal but knows “everything else will handle itself at an appropriate time” if he does what he expects to do this season.

“I tell people all the time I would play this game for free if the NFL didn’t pay me so handsomely,” Drake said on a conference call Tuesday, via Scott Bordow of TheAthletic.com.

Drake, 26, rushed for 643 yards and eight touchdowns and caught 28 passes for 171 yards in eight games after arriving from Miami. Assuming he stays healthy, Drake will get more carries, and, he hopes, more yards and more touchdowns.

He has never had more than 170 carries in four NFL seasons, and that came last season, and never more than 92 in a single season in his college career at Alabama.

“I feel like the best ability is availability,” Drake said. “Since I’ve been in the league, I’ve been fairly healthy. . . . So I’m really trying to put my body in a situation where I can take the load or get X amount of carries or touches in general.

“I feel like my ceiling is as high as I’ll take it.”

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If he could push his ceiling just like that he would’ve done it last season when he was playing for a contract

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
loved seeing Keim hit him with a 1 year deal after his surprising success back half of the season ... hungry dogs run faster

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Kenyan Drake did enough last season that the Cardinals wanted to keep him, using the one-year, $8.48 million transition tag on him.

For some reason this bothers me. I get the feeling that he is saying that I'll play my best when I am feeling like it and other times not so much. Maybe that's why he never saw all that much success in Miami. He would play well in spurts but not with any consistency. Maybe it's just me but I take a statement like that to mean we won't always see his best.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Miami has a way of not getting the most out of their talent. Not sure what the reason or reasons are though? Drake was a 3rd rounder I believe? He was in a loaded backfield at Alabama, yet still got drafted at a decent spot. He was in a crowded backfield in Miami, had his chances but played inconsistent. He then comes to Arizona & plays well from the start, with only 3-4 days to prepare. Idk, maybe our system is just suited for Drake? Jordan Phillips was a 1st rounder in Miami, did next to nothing, goes to Buffalo & shines in a contract yr. See the pattern? Miami doesn't get the most out of their players. Back to Drake, he knows he's the starting RB, experienced half a season in our system, just got paid good RB money, knows he has to keep playing well in order to get paid again in 2021. Barring injury, I think our system is a better fit for his skill set & he'll continue to play well. I hope Keim keeps giving him one yr contracts? That will keep him motivated every yr to get paid again the next. RB's decline by the age of 30 for the most part, why sign him to a 3 yr deal when he's about to be 28? Keep giving him 1 yr deals until he starts declining, then move on. No dead cap money that way. There's always good RB's to be drafted every yr.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The running back wants a long-term deal but knows “everything else will handle itself at an appropriate time” if he does what he expects to do this season.

“I tell people all the time I would play this game for free if the NFL didn’t pay me so handsomely,” Drake said on a conference call Tuesday, via Scott Bordow of TheAthletic.com.

Drake, 26, rushed for 643 yards and eight touchdowns and caught 28 passes for 171 yards in eight games after arriving from Miami. Assuming he stays healthy, Drake will get more carries, and, he hopes, more yards and more touchdowns.

He has never had more than 170 carries in four NFL seasons, and that came last season, and never more than 92 in a single season in his college career at Alabama.

“I feel like the best ability is availability,” Drake said. “Since I’ve been in the league, I’ve been fairly healthy. . . . So I’m really trying to put my body in a situation where I can take the load or get X amount of carries or touches in general.

And people have a problem with this?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
For some reason this bothers me. I get the feeling that he is saying that I'll play my best when I am feeling like it and other times not so much. Maybe that's why he never saw all that much success in Miami. He would play well in spurts but not with any consistency. Maybe it's just me but I take a statement like that to mean we won't always see his best.

Or it could be he fits well into the new system and now the sky is the limit. I guess we'll see it happen right before our very eyes over the next year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Jetstream Green

Drake is faster
He is a better blocker, he doesnt hesitate to find the room to get through

David Johnson has been good but as a pure running back at my eyes Drake is better

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about our draft the more I'm excited

Round 1) best player in the draft, with Young, isaiah Simmons

Round 2) hall of fame WR hopkins

Round 3) top 5 tackle in the draft Josh Jones, statiscally the best

Round 4) 2 big defensive linemen with potential, i very like Lawrence

Round 5) Drake

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The more I think about our draft the more I'm excited

Round 1) best player in the draft, with Young, isaiah Simmons

Round 2) hall of fame WR hopkins

Round 3) top 5 tackle in the draft Josh Jones, statiscally the best

Round 4) 2 big defensive linemen with potential, i very like Lawrence

Round 5) Drake
I think Simmons is the best defensive player in the 2020 draft. Not because our team drafted him, because he can do so many things. Young is a pure edge rusher, that's what he's best at. I'm sure he can be good in run support but pass rushing is his thing. Simmons can blitz, chase the QB into bad decisions, play run support, cover & tackle in space with 4.3 speed. I'll take that any day of the week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose