Plan to play 2019-20 NBA season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michelle Roberts says, "It's time."

From ESPN:

In team-by-team virtual calls with players this week, National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts said the "overwhelming" sentiment has been that "they really want to play" and resume the 2019-20 NBA season, most likely in late July at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida.

"It's time. It's time," Roberts told ESPN. "It's been two and a half months of, 'What if?' My players need some level of certainty. I think everybody does."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29222086/nbpa-michele-roberts-says-players-really-want-play

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

The NBPA’s Michele Roberts is conducting team-by-team conference calls with players, detailing talks with NBA on formats for resumption of play in Orlando, financial implications of those options and gathering feedback, sources tell ESPN.

3:11 PM - 25 May 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I think they are going to have a play in tournament for the 7th and 8th seeds - but the question is what teams will get a chance at that - all teams or top 24 or top 20?

The Suns are a bottom 3 team in the western conference, but 10th worst overall.

If they keep it conference focused - which I think they are likely to do Suns may not get a chance even if they do top 24, because they would be one of the 3 worst in the west and just miss the cut.

If there is no play in tournament - there is really no reason for the suns to play, and I would almost expect management to decline any participation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one proposal for NBA playoffs which involves 20 teams. This proposal would exclude the Suns.

From The Ringer:

Adam Silver isn’t shy about trying new things. Late Friday night, the league office sent a survey to all 30 general managers asking for their feedback on several different formats to restart the season. One proposal is to replace the first round of the playoffs with a “group stage” in which the 20 teams with the best records would be placed into four groups of five teams. Teams would play two games against each opponent in their own group, and the teams with the two best records from each group would qualify for the second round of the playoffs. Eight teams would advance, and then teams would play seven-game series to determine the champion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The 16 current playoff teams would qualify for the group stage, plus the four teams with the next-best records (Trail Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, and Spurs). The remaining 10 teams would be done for the season. The survey sent to each general manager noted that “tiers” would first be created using the regular-season standings to ensure competitive balance between the groups.

For example, the 20 teams could be allocated into five tiers in descending order by record:

• Tier 1: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers
  • Tier 2: Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat
  • Tier 3: Thunder, Rockets, Pacers, Sixers
  • Tier 4: Mavericks, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic
  • Tier 5: Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/26/21270365/nba-restart-world-cup

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Of course the Suns are 21. Par for the course. How many sentences in a row can I use the word course?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LATE July? Come on. Get your ish together and make that happen early July. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED SPORTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some teams are not as eager to play. They would be content keeping their favorable lottery position.

Some lottery teams have also made it clear via back channels to the league that if their players are decidedly so-so on returning, there will be no showdown. Translated: If you need to keep us out, we'll gladly keep our favorable lottery position. See you next season.

Privately, Silver has been considering the idea that there are plenty of sensible reasons to pare down the roster of teams in Orlando. First, there's safety. Fewer teams, fewer people to contract or spread the coronavirus -- and less bad basketball. Even elite teams will be sloppy upon return, so what about the others?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29223585/which-superstars-teams-the-nba-bubble-debate-heating-up

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The three most serious plans remain under consideration for return to play.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

While NBA’s Board of Governors meet with Adam Silver on Friday, there’s no current expectation for a decision on a finalized return-to-play plan to emerge from the session, sources tell ESPN. Talks on incorporating the three most serious plans remain ongoing with NBPA and teams.

8:28 AM - 27 May 2020

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, what's the current best guess for when the Finals will take place?

That depends on if they run a full season. Adam Silver was talking about running a shorter season next year before the pandemic, 75 games for the league's 75th anniversary. I think mid to late July 2021 is fair estimate based on what we know now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on if they run a full season. Adam Silver was talking about running a shorter season next year before the pandemic, 75 games for the league's 75th anniversary. I think mid to late July 2021 is fair estimate based on what we know now.

It looks like the NBA likely wants to play a full 82 game schedule next season due to a shortened season this year and lost revenue.

I found this:

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

I think there is, more than ever, a movement to play 82 games next year. Because what a shortened schedule does to you is it means less revenue. They’re going to play every game they can.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/report-nba-increasingly-eager-to-play-all-82-games-next-season/

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I can't see it being done that early. IF they skip right to the playoffs, I can't imaging them starting until July 1 at the earliest. I'd say the Finals would be more likely at the end of August if they're lucky.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the NBA likely wants to play a full 82 game schedule next season due to a shortened season this year and lost revenue.

I found this:

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

I think there is, more than ever, a movement to play 82 games next year. Because what a shortened schedule does to you is it means less revenue. They’re going to play every game they can.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/report-nba-increasingly-eager-to-play-all-82-games-next-season/

if this is the case and they start next season on Xmas day, they should just take the plunge and ALWAYS have that be the start to the season. For the most part, no one gives a crap about the NBA the first two months of the season because Football is king and overwhelms everything as it comes down the stretch towards the end of the year. There's no pomp and circumstance to the start of the NBA season like there is opening weekend of the NFL, or college football or even Opening Day of baseball... which is one of only two times anyone cares about baseball at all, including the post-season. Right now, they pretty much get February, March (with heavy focus on the tournament), April, May and June with some July FA. That's like 5 months of solid coverage.

But starting on Xmas day with some MAJOR MATCHUPS - that gives you a legit launch of the season. And then, they can pretty much own ALL of February (post-SuperBowl) through August every year. That gives them 7 months pretty much all to themselves in the sports landscape with Baseball and Hockey coming in a laughable distance behind them.

and selfishly, it would fill the massive void of the sports dog days of summer for everyone like me who's salivating for football.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this is the case and they start next season on Xmas day, they should just take the plunge and ALWAYS have that be the start to the season. For the most part, no one gives a crap about the NBA the first two months of the season because Football is king and overwhelms everything as it comes down the stretch towards the end of the year. There's no pomp and circumstance to the start of the NBA season like there is opening weekend of the NFL, or college football or even Opening Day of baseball... which is one of only two times anyone cares about baseball at all, including the post-season. Right now, they pretty much get February, March (with heavy focus on the tournament), April, May and June with some July FA. That's like 5 months of solid coverage.

But starting on Xmas day with some MAJOR MATCHUPS - that gives you a legit launch of the season. And then, they can pretty much own ALL of February (post-SuperBowl) through August every year. That gives them 7 months pretty much all to themselves in the sports landscape with Baseball and Hockey coming in a laughable distance behind them.

and selfishly, it would fill the massive void of the sports dog days of summer for everyone like me who's salivating for football.

There is going to be a lot of overlap of sports if the NBA starts their season around Christmas but there is anyway.

It would give NBA Commissioner Adam Silver the opportunity to implement the Christmas tournament he has always wanted and it would actually mean something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave