Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are in position to use technology to improve sanitation in arena renovations.

From Arizona Sports:

“What we’re looking at is technology and how we can utilize technology to improve that sanitation level,” Suns president and CEO Jason Rowley said Tuesday. “Make people more comfortable with maybe going cashless … making sure your escalators have UV lighting that kills viruses and bacteria and all those things … hiring outside professionals who can come in and do audits of the building to make sure that any high touchpoints (can be safer).”

That even goes as far as putting down antimicrobial paint, which makes it more difficult for things to stick and bacteria to linger. Rowley credited discussions the Suns have had around the league, where every team is focusing on how they can make the building safer once fans eventually return.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...s-to-arena-renovations-with-covid-19-in-mind/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible the Suns arena renovations could be moved up.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

With the 2020-21 season potentially being pushed back to somewhere like December, the Suns' current plan to have 60% of renovations done this summer and the rest being finished next summer could change. Rowley spoke like it's a possibility they could push some stuff up.

6:44 PM - 26 May 2020

Gina Mizell posted an update on the renovations also, apparently they're on schedule and on budget so far. You can see how torn apart the lower bowl is now in the video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell posted an update on the renovations also, apparently they're on schedule and on budget so far. You can see how torn apart the lower bowl is now in the video.

Pretty cool things are moving along. So glad we are talking about things related to basketball again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic writers do a mock draft for the 2025 season selecting the best players for three all-star teams to compete against each other.

Here’s the premise: Our Pistons reporter James Edwards, Mavericks reporter Tim Cato and Wizards reporter Fred Katz have combined to draft three NBA rosters to compete in an unprecedented battle royale that will take place in exactly five years. They’re taking into account age, injuries, potential, ability and whatever else comes into play when projecting half a decade into the future.

Luka is selected #1, Giannis #2, Zion #4 and Booker #4.

Tatum goes #5, Morant #6, Bam #7, Emoni Bates #8, Cade Cunningham #9 and Jaren Jackson Jr. #10.

Ayton gets selected #26.

https://theathletic.com/1834125/2020/05/26/future-mock-draft-selecting-the-best-nba-rosters-in-2025/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like the most of the reno ideas except the giant gaping room opposite of the the players tunnel. I wonder what they'll be doing with the practice gym, would be awesome if they auctioned off some pieces of the hardwood from the there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Mikal Bridges working out.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

If you think it's been tough to get a handle on where the NBA is at with a format/potential return, it's the same feeling for the players. Bridges described it as "confusing" with what they hear changing week-to-week.

2:39 PM - 28 May 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^
That is what I thought about when I saw bridges spinning around for layups.

Give the man the ball.

Bridges has the ability to do all this and more. It's a matter of him getting more comfortable with doing it every night.

He averaged 12.1 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals over his last ten games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the pandemic, the practice facility was scheduled to be finished in August. It looks this will be a huge help in recruting having such a facility near where players live.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Impressive presentation by Robert Sarver in what looks to be a state-of-the-art training facility for the Suns and Mercury.

As well as the improvements at Talking Stick Resort Arena.

I couldn't help but think that if he concentrates on administration, as well as finances, and lets the basketball people
handle their side of the operation, it will be a win-win for the fans.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Impressive presentation by Robert Sarver in what looks to be a state-of-the-art training facility for the Suns and Mercury.

I couldn't help but think that if he concentrates on administration, as well as finances, and lets the basketball people
We can only hope.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's sort of shocking looking back, the Suns were competing with teams that could offer free agents much better facilities and expecting to be competitive. The only way the Suns could get those on the fence players was to overpay. Now they have a practice facility located in a great area to sell.

It's been a long time since the Suns offered Tom Chambers a hot tub as a perk.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's sort of shocking looking back, the Suns were competing with teams that could offer free agents much better facilities and expecting to be competitive. The only way the Suns could get those on the fence players was to overpay. Now they have a practice facility located in a great area to sell.

It's been a long time since the Suns offered Tom Chambers a hot tub as a perk.

There is probably some truth to that... but I suspect the biggest reason is Sarver's own lack of investment.

The current epidemic aside, owning an NBA team has basically been a printing press for a long time now and it took nearly 15 years before Sarver did anything to invest in the infrastructure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is probably some truth to that... but I suspect the biggest reason is Sarver's own lack of investment.

The current epidemic aside, owning an NBA team has basically been a printing press for a long time now and it took nearly 15 years before Sarver did anything to invest in the infrastructure.

For a long time I think Sarver was expecting the City to build a new arena or pay the bill for renovations.

Sarver does not have the connections Jerry Colangelo had, plus it's a new era where taxpayers are reluctant to build new arenas.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this should be posted somewhere and I didn't want to start a thread for it because I didn't want it to turn into a big P&R debate that gets the thread moved or closed.

Monty Williams wrote an op-ed this weekend, which was published by The Athletic today, about the current happenings across the country and it's a good read. The Athletic did not put it behind their paywall either so anyone can read it. It's a good quick read and yet another reason I'm glad the Suns hired him as the head coach for the foreseeable future. He seems to be the sort of guy that you want teaching young and impressionable professional athletes like Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Cam, etc.

https://theathletic.com/1847208/202...-and-in-pain-today/?source=emp_shared_article

Again, the only reason I'm posting this here is to share something written by the Suns head coach. If you want to debate the content and what is going on currently in this country with law enforcement, the Politics & Religion board is a couple clicks away and there are plenty of threads to discuss that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought this should be posted somewhere and I didn't want to start a thread for it because I didn't want it to turn into a big P&R debate that gets the thread moved or closed.

Monty Williams wrote an op-ed this weekend, which was published by The Athletic today, about the current happenings across the country and it's a good read. The Athletic did not put it behind their paywall either so anyone can read it. It's a good quick read and yet another reason I'm glad the Suns hired him as the head coach for the foreseeable future. He seems to be the sort of guy that you want teaching young and impressionable professional athletes like Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Cam, etc.

https://theathletic.com/1847208/202...-and-in-pain-today/?source=emp_shared_article

Again, the only reason I'm posting this here is to share something written by the Suns head coach. If you want to debate the content and what is going on currently in this country with law enforcement, the Politics & Religion board is a couple clicks away and there are plenty of threads to discuss that.

A truly great man. The Suns are lucky to have him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty will also be speaking to the media tomorrow afternoon. I wonder if it will be posted afterwards for fans or if we'll just get a recap from a few of the local reporters.

Looking forward to it either way. I'm also interested in what he says about returning for a playoff push. The team should be healthy, finally, so they should have some depth to compete against anyone.

I hope Monty is able to have them ready to go like he did at the beginning of the season because then the Suns could really make some noise. I don't expect the playoffs but I'd love to see them play the role of spoiler for a few teams.