Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We may disagree, but I think a combo guard who can shoot and distribute would work as well.
Do you think that Book should be that combo Guard . . . or are you referring to the pass-first backup Point
Guard I suggested? So Devin could spend all of his minutes on the court doing what he does best -- scoring.
Being fed the ball.

Any any extra energy should be spent on defense . . . against Shooting Guards, not quicker Point Guards.
That's half the game.

Devin himself stated his preference to play alongside a Point Guard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that Book should be that combo Guard . . . or are you referring to the pass-first backup Point
Guard I suggested? So Devin could spend all of his minutes on the court doing what he does best -- scoring.
Being fed the ball.

Any any extra energy should be spent on defense . . . against Shooting Guards, not quicker Point Guards.
That's half the game.

Devin himself stated his preference to play alongside a Point Guard.

If the Suns add a combo guard to the rotation, I see no reason why Booker and a combo guard could not play well together. The other guard would share ball handling duties and hopefully spread the court with additional shooting. Of course Rubio would be a part of that rotation as well. I don't think anyone wants Booker to primarily play point guard but I would never want to take away from his ability to play this role at times.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Devin Booker can shed 'empty stats' label, but Suns must first provide stability around him
The environment around Booker needs to improve to see what he's capable of next
In the five years that Devin Booker has been in the NBA, he's been the poster child for being the "good stats/bad team" player, as the Phoenix Sunshave failed to eclipse even the 30-win mark since drafting him in 2015. Each year, though, Booker comes back with something new added to his game.

However, as Booker continued to ascend in Phoenix, the team around him was in constant disarray. He's had five different head coaches in the five seasons he's been a pro, and has been surrounded by talent that either didn't want to be there or veterans on their way out of the league. It yielded terrible team results, but Booker's individual talent was undeniable.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...suns-must-first-provide-stability-around-him/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jayson Tatum wanted to come to Phoenix. Earl Watson had sold him on the idea.

From azcentral:

“Earl’s my guy,” Tatum said. “I went to dinner with him the next day. I remember he picked me up. He had a white G-wagon (Mercedes Benz G-Class). He drove me around and showed me all of the houses where the players live at. I called my family, I called my mom I was like, I think I want to go to Phoenix.”

Watson sold him on the idea of playing alongside Devin Booker, dubbing them “two light-skinned killers” on the court.

“I’m sitting in the car and I’m like, this sound good,” Tatum said. “Yeah, I think I want to come here.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...tatum-wanted-drafted-phoenix-suns/3111757001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jevon Carter posts a video on Suns court inside the Coliseum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have started individual workouts at Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

UPDATED: May 19, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Members of the Phoenix Suns have begun participating in individual workouts at the team’s temporary new home, Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, and guard Jevon Carter posted the first images of the setup to his Instagram story on Tuesday.

The Suns have begun participating in limited voluntary workouts at the Coliseum, the team confirmed on Monday.

The NBA began allowing teams to reopen practice facilities on May 8, given they met the safety guidelines in their corresponding state for the COVID-19 pandemic. There are still no group or team workouts.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...eo-of-suns-court-inside-madhouse-on-mcdowell/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns season is essentially over but I like hearing Jevon Carter is one of the first guys to show up for these training sessions. I want him to be resigned by the Suns and I think fringe players like him have a chance to tip things in their favor now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns season is essentially over but I like hearing Jevon Carter is one of the first guys to show up for these training sessions. I want him to be resigned by the Suns and I think fringe players like him have a chance to tip things in their favor now.

What do you mean?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alan Williams on The Outlet.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Hollinger of The Athletic reports Phoenix is one of four teams to be significantly impacted by a salary cap reduction .

From The Athletic:

Phoenix – Phoenix might be impacted as much as any other team in the league by a drop in the salary cap. The Suns projected to have $24 million in a cap room if they declined options on Frank Kaminsky and Cheick Diallo, renounced Dario Saric and Aron Baynes, and waived the non-guaranteed Elie Okobo. Now they project to only have $19 million; getting any more room would likely require cutting into bone.

At $24 million, the Suns were in pretty good shape to land a starting-caliber 4 like Gallinari or Millsap in free agency. Even if the Suns weren’t the first choice of these players, their cash would talk. At $19 million? I’m not so sure. Now it seems like the Suns would be better off targeting guard help with their mid-level exception, re-signing Saric and Baynes, and hanging onto Diallo and Kaminsky – all of which they could do without threatening the luxury tax.

https://theathletic.com/1827955/202...alary-cap-impacts-each-nba-team/?redirected=1

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Hollinger of The Athletic reports Phoenix is one of four teams to be significantly impacted by a salary cap reduction .

From The Athletic:

Phoenix – Phoenix might be impacted as much as any other team in the league by a drop in the salary cap. The Suns projected to have $24 million in a cap room if they declined options on Frank Kaminsky and Cheick Diallo, renounced Dario Saric and Aron Baynes, and waived the non-guaranteed Elie Okobo. Now they project to only have $19 million; getting any more room would likely require cutting into bone.

At $24 million, the Suns were in pretty good shape to land a starting-caliber 4 like Gallinari or Millsap in free agency. Even if the Suns weren’t the first choice of these players, their cash would talk. At $19 million? I’m not so sure. Now it seems like the Suns would be better off targeting guard help with their mid-level exception, re-signing Saric and Baynes, and hanging onto Diallo and Kaminsky – all of which they could do without threatening the luxury tax.

https://theathletic.com/1827955/202...alary-cap-impacts-each-nba-team/?redirected=1

And if they do, they will be 13th in the West AGAIN, and Booker will for sure want out, as will Ayton, while Oubre will just walk after his contract is up. Management's passivity at the trade deadline killed what little hope this franchise had. Now the only chance at a future is to get lucky and strike gold at power forward in the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above scenario is based if the cap holds at $109.1 million instead of increasing to the projected $115 million for next season.

From Arizona Sports:

Maybe the general manager would be more willing to listen to trade offers involving, say, Kelly Oubre Jr., a fan favorite who would make $14.4 million in 2020-21 but might be seeking a big payday as a free agent in 2021.

In any case, the likelihood the Suns consider bringing back key rotation players like Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky might be more likely scenarios than they might’ve been just a few months ago.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...st-hit-by-nba-salary-cap-drop-hollinger-says/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of teams are going to have trouble paying all of their players if the salary cap does not increase and some teams will have even more problems dealing with the luxury tax.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The above scenario is based if the cap holds at $109.1 million instead of increasing to the projected $115 million for next season.

From Arizona Sports:

Maybe the general manager would be more willing to listen to trade offers involving, say, Kelly Oubre Jr., a fan favorite who would make $14.4 million in 2020-21 but might be seeking a big payday as a free agent in 2021.

In any case, the likelihood the Suns consider bringing back key rotation players like Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky might be more likely scenarios than they might’ve been just a few months ago.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...st-hit-by-nba-salary-cap-drop-hollinger-says/

Why would the Suns consider doing that when that roster was already a colossal failure this year? They would be better off trading Booker and tearing everything down than going with a formula they already KNOW is a disaster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible the Suns arena renovations could be moved up.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

With the 2020-21 season potentially being pushed back to somewhere like December, the Suns' current plan to have 60% of renovations done this summer and the rest being finished next summer could change. Rowley spoke like it's a possibility they could push some stuff up.

6:44 PM - 26 May 2020