AZ Dbacks
Phoenix Suns
ASU Football
Duke Basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Only four teams have I been passionate about.

NFL - Duh.. Cardinals
Soccer - Juventus and Danish National team
F1 - Ferrari

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will say this about the NCAA basketball side of things, for me anyway, I miss the Big East of yesterday. Big $ got in the way and really changed things

I was born & raised in Syracuse, NY. There was NOTHING better than the Big East Tournament back in the day.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
I was born & raised in Syracuse, NY. There was NOTHING better than the Big East Tournament back in the day.

Agreed. I was up at school in SUNY Cortland NY which had a big Long Island contingent and those Syracuse, St Johns games were always a blast.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love it. That was a great time for NY hockey. Glad to see they are getting a new home

Between the 75-76 & 87-88 seasons, the Canadiens won 5 Cups, Islanders & Oilers won 4 each. Canadiens & Islanders won 4 consecutive Cups during that stretch, and the Oilers won 4/5. The was the end of dynasties in the NHL.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. I was up at school in SUNY Cortland NY which had a big Long Island contingent and those Syracuse, St Johns games were always a blast.

One of my younger sisters went to Cortland. I went to RIT from 76-80. People forget how good the Redmen were! In the early days, if Syracuse beat St. Johns, it became an all-night party. That was a much bigger rivalry at the time than Syracuse/Georgetown. Once Carnesecca retired, it was never the same.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Between the 75-76 & 87-88 seasons, the Canadiens won 5 Cups, Islanders & Oilers won 4 each. Canadiens & Islanders won 4 consecutive Cups during that stretch, and the Oilers won 4/5. The was the end of dynasties in the NHL.

The Isles were banged up pretty bad on their drive for 5. Can't say it would have made a difference but that was the year the NHL switched formats to from 2-2-1-1-1 to the new 2-3-2 format giving Oilers three games in a row at home.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Isles were banged up pretty bad on their drive for 5. Can't say it would have made a difference but that was the year the NHL switched formats to from 2-2-1-1-1 to the new 2-3-2 format giving Oilers three games in a row at home.

The Islanders were a great team, no doubt. Billy Smith was a phenomenal goalie of that era. And I remember how good Bossy, Potvin, & Trottier were. And Al Arbour was a legendary coach. As a Canadiens fan, the 4 year run in the mid 70's was the most dominant of the NHL dynasties that I have seen. Their records during that stretch were 58-11, 60-8, 59-10, and 52-17. The 76-77 team that went 60-8, only lost 1 game in the postseason. If Dryden didn't leave to go to Law School, they may have won 5 or 6 in a row.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my younger sisters went to Cortland. I went to RIT from 76-80. People forget how good the Redmen were! In the early days, if Syracuse beat St. Johns, it became an all-night party. That was a much bigger rivalry at the time than Syracuse/Georgetown. Once Carnesecca retired, it was never the same.

I had no connection to any of the Big East schools or their territories but as an avid college basketball fan I watched a lot of their games back then. Two fledgling sports networks (USA and ESPN) filled a lot of their programming with college basketball and no conference caught the eye of the diehard basketball fan more than the Big East did.

Dick Vitale, brand new to broadcasting, soon became a huge proponent of the league but I think the major network pairing of Al McGuire and Billy Packer did even more to raise the interest level with one of them naturally favoring the Big East (McGuire/St Johns) and the other a committed ACC supporter. That decade was the best time ever to be a college basketball fan IMO.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
The Islanders were a great team, no doubt. Billy Smith was a phenomenal goalie of that era. And I remember how good Bossy, Potvin, & Trottier were. And Al Arbour was a legendary coach. As a Canadiens fan, the 4 year run in the mid 70's was the most dominant of the NHL dynasties that I have seen. Their records during that stretch were 58-11, 60-8, 59-10, and 52-17. The 76-77 team that went 60-8, only lost 1 game in the postseason. If Dryden didn't leave to go to Law School, they may have won 5 or 6 in a row.

I recall the Canadians of those years but not in great detail. I do remember their dominance and the leadership of Guy Lafleur

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

:biglaugh:

All my teams are from where I'm from or where I now live.

Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. Huge Norm Nixon fan as a kid. Been a Lakers fan as long as I can remember liking sports.

Moved to AZ - already had my NBA team and there were no other pro sports teams here. Added a team in each sport as the state added teams.

Went to ASU games all throughout the years and then attended and graduated from there as well.

OP
OP
G

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ken Dryden's books on hockey are a must-read.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. Huge Norm Nixon fan as a kid. Been a Lakers fan as long as I can remember liking sports.

Moved to AZ - already had my NBA team and there were no other pro sports teams here. Added a team in each sport as the state added teams.

Went to ASU games all throughout the years and then attended and graduated from there as well.

I'm surprised then that abruptly parting ways with Norm didn't drive you away from the Lakers (a little bit). As a Byron Scott fan, I loved the fact he ended up in a great place rather than on the perennial doormat Norm was consigned to. Nowadays, all I remember Nixon for is that he married Debbie Allen whose sister, Phylicia, married Ahmad Rashad, after she divorced the lead singer/songwriter for the Village People. Norm is also the father of the young boy that played Fletcher on The Bodyguard and Miles Dyson's son in T2.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now: (Order of my passion for now's list)
NFL - Cardinals
NCAA F - ASU
NHL - Coyotes
NCAA B - ASU
MLB - D’Backs
NBA - Suns

Youth:
NFL - Houston Oilers
NBA - Philadelphia 76ers / San Diego Clippers / Milwaukee Bucks
MLB - Philadelphia Phillies
NHL - Edmonton Oilers / Washington Capitals
NCAA F - Penn State
NCAA B - DePaul
Tennis - Jimmy Connors
USA Olympic Teams

Hated teams:
Seattle Seahawks
Dallas Cowboys
SF 49ers
Patriots
SF Giants
LA Dodgers
LA Lakers
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Notre Dame FB
UofA FB/BB
Ohio State FB

Wilmot 1

Reaction score
NFL: AZ CARDS
NBA: 76ERS
MLB: ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
NHL: ST LOUIS BLUES
NCAA FOOTBAL: CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
NCAA BASKETBALL: UCONN HUSKIES
SOCCER: US TEAMS, MEN & WOMENS

Reaction score

One of my best friends grew up in Scott. He was at SUNY 93-95.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Became a Lakers fan Magic Johnson's rookie yr, been a fan ever since. He's my all time favorite Laker, loved Kobe but hard to top Magic Johnson's all around game.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now: (Order of my passion for now's list)
NFL - Cardinals
NCAA F - ASU
NHL - Coyotes
NCAA B - ASU
MLB - D’Backs
NBA - Suns

Youth:
NFL - Houston Oilers
NBA - Philadelphia 76ers / San Diego Clippers / Milwaukee Bucks
MLB - Philadelphia Phillies
NHL - Edmonton Oilers / Washington Capitals
NCAA F - Penn State
NCAA B - DePaul
Tennis - Jimmy Connors
USA Olympic Teams

Hated teams:
Seattle Seahawks
Dallas Cowboys
SF 49ers
Patriots
SF Giants
LA Dodgers
LA Lakers
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Notre Dame FB
UofA FB/BB
Ohio State FB
Loved the Oilers uniforms back in the day. Love it when teams stick with the 3 stripes on the helmet. I always thought the Cardinals (St.Louis days) should've put the same striped pattern on the helmets like the pants. Thicker red one in the middle, outlined by the 2 black ones on the outside. Red face masks also. Really think those would've been sweeeeeeeet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Became a Lakers fan Magic Johnson's rookie yr, been a fan ever since. He's my all time favorite Laker, loved Kobe but hard to top Magic Johnson's all around game.

Magic could do it all. He is one of the all-time greats. Kareem and Magic are in my top five players to ever play the game.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals
Pittsburgh Penguins
Argentina Pumas
1991 Detroit Tigers

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

You were not into the NFL growing up?

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Los Angeles Rams (dad grew up in Santa Monica when the Rams moved from Cleveland)
Phoenix Suns (moved to Tempe in 1973 when I was five)
Oakland A's (met Reggie Jackson and Sal Bando at spring training in 1974)
LA Kings (by association of my better half)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were not into the NFL growing up?

Yes and no.

In the late 70's and early 80's I was more into T-ball, Little League, Disneyland/Knott's Berry Farm, and, of course, Star Wars than the NFL.

:jedi:

I'd pull for one team over another but mostly followed individual players and collected trading cards.

Once we moved to Arizona I'd go see the Sun Devils and the Wranglers play at SDS, so I knew I loved football. Regularly went to the Fiesta Bowl. Went to the 1987 Rose Bowl between ASU and Michigan and the 1987 Fiesta Bowl between Miami and Penn St. (1st ever college championship game) - on the very next night.

The Cardinals moved here at just the right time. I had gone to the preseason NFL game the season before (between the Broncos and Packers) and gotten a taste for live action NFL games. Made the decision to go to all of the Cards games as soon as they announced they were coming to town. Have made it to all of their games (minus two preseason games) since then (and with my wife since 1993).

- Other old AZ sports memories: Went to a ton of Spring Training games and was a regular at Phoenix Giants games - which included chasing foul balls and trying to get to them before they bounced over into Legend City. Went to the Madhouse on McDowell to see NBA games with my dad or uncles.