I’ve Now Posted 2 Threads About

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The future possible extensions of the current reopening of various sports. One was deleted; the other moved to politics. I certainly have no problem with oversight moving or deleting them. The concern is that instead of the initial subject the threads evolved into political debates. My thinking is that I will simply stop posting issues that could potentially evolve into these debates. I’m a little sad as my first post was on the potential for the impact on the college season, the high school season and next year’s draft. Ironically this same topic was taken up 2 days later by The Athletic without incident in the comments. I still haven’t seen it considered in the same depth by other sources. The same day I posted the latest thread CBS posted a similar article about the MLB but again it examined far fewer scenarios.

I’ve decided to cease posting anything about future scenarios. There is obviously too much stress on everyone for us to discuss these concerns dispassionately. I worry these boards are ceasing to be entertainment but are changing into soapboxes for people to vent non-sports disagreements. I think there’s a real danger of many people to cease participating.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Germany Bundesliga re-started today, obviously behind closed doors
Not the same thing watching a match in a empty stadium, no sound effects and looks like an amateur event, but it's better then no games
For my experience, I have watched several soccer games on TV with an empty stadium and the product isn't the same
Intensity and quality are altered

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The play of Dortmund was anything but amateur. I was happy to have it back.

Thanks Harry. Your posts are appreciated.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Your posts are great Harry. People are and always will be the problem.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, I would prefer that moderators moderate the comments in the thread versus the thread itself. I get organizing threads, but the categorization of the thread by a non-author creates an unintended slant as political vs football.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are dominant culprits who seem to politicize any thread they can. I quit P & R long ago by personal choice and never miss the opportunity to point out my displeasure when this happens , just as Harry has, but to no avail. I agree that the mods need to address the particular posts to save threads.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, for a lot of us this is a very stressful issue. That said, it's hard to postulate what will happen in the future without bringing in dramatically opposing viewpoints. Hopefully we can avoid it down the line. I always appreciate your contributions.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The basic problem is that there are no sporting events. The NFL Draft was the last “sports” activity to discuss. Now that it's over almost everything discussed sports wise is related to the coronavirus. We have no idea when things may get back to normal.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I would think the moderators could just clean up the thread by removing the offending posts, etc.
That would be a huge number of posts to remove. I think the Mods have their hands full just trying to keep up. They spend a lot of their own time for a thankless job well done.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The weird thing to me was the last one didn’t seem political. Yeah southpaw said it devolved into that in a post, but I didn’t see anything about politics. It was discussing coronavirus and impact on games. Of course it’s going to include a dive into facts about the virus to assist. Most of the convo surrounded viability. I was surprised to see it moved.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
At least we have the annual robbery, DUI, woman beating, inquiring minds want to know about your 7 hookers in an Airbnb, NFL player misconduct to keep us all entertained.... haha

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The future possible extensions of the current reopening of various sports. One was deleted; the other moved to politics. I certainly have no problem with oversight moving or deleting them. The concern is that instead of the initial subject the threads evolved into political debates. My thinking is that I will simply stop posting issues that could potentially evolve into these debates. I’m a little sad as my first post was on the potential for the impact on the college season, the high school season and next year’s draft. Ironically this same topic was taken up 2 days later by The Athletic without incident in the comments. I still haven’t seen it considered in the same depth by other sources. The same day I posted the latest thread CBS posted a similar article about the MLB but again it examined far fewer scenarios.

I’ve decided to cease posting anything about future scenarios. There is obviously too much stress on everyone for us to discuss these concerns dispassionately. I worry these boards are ceasing to be entertainment but are changing into soapboxes for people to vent non-sports disagreements. I think there’s a real danger of many people to cease participating.
Keep posting Harry
If they move it so be it

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bull crap Harry. Post your opinion any and all the time.

Does anybody ever simply disagree and move on? If something is said that you simply don’t agree with or enrages you so much you have options.
1. Stop reading
2. YOU can delete the post
3. You can delete the poster

I love this board but deleting post or moving entire threads is crazy to me unless someone personally attacks another poster or becomes racially motivated. Even then, DELETE! There are many threads that I won’t even bother to open, I.e. Josh Rosen.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Harry - These posts have a life unto their own - you can never be sure which direction(s) readers will take a topic.

Try as we will, the stress of these pretty weird times will encourage various readers to chime in with an opinion. And there comes a point in time where the mods have to yell "foul" and move or delete a thread or comment.

Can't blame anybody - it's just the new rules of the road in a genuinely freaky social and political environment.

Good luck with that. Luv U All.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Dats a fo sure.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The board has rules and that includes no P&R in the sports forum.

Everyone is held to the same expectations and guidelines.
But for Harry his stuff wasn't political, it's the ensuing posters who bring it political. And there's nothing wrong with moving stuff if they become political. I don't get the concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.