So who thinks they will be attending a Cardinals home game this season?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'll go when they start opening it up to fans (and they will) I really wanna get a live look at this team this year with the improvements

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill will not risk lives in a packed stadium if not for any other reason, the future lawsuits would not be worth the risk. Tv dollars, cable rights and NFL ticket is a good income with no risk. The 95 % comment about dying being average age of 80 is 100% false.

i gotta assume if you're knowingly going to a place with thousands of people by choice, assumption of the risk mitigates most lawsuits.

that said, it would be a public relations nightmare for them to have fans there and then have that cause a major outbreak. I don't think we see fans at games this season.

I also think if they have fans and went with the 20% capacity thing, the only way they get away with that with all the season ticket holders is if they rotate the fan so there's a different 20% there and somehow figure out how to make all of the season ticket holders get same amount of limited games.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid my invoice, but I’m heavily leaning towards not attending games this season. I drive from San Diego for each game, and I feel like my traveling would be at odds with fighting the spread. I don’t want to bring it home to my family, and I don’t want to take it to AZ.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the flu so called vaccine is 35% effective on average. Tons of viruses no vaccine has ever been created for, like HIV for instance. Herd immunity is the only realistic resolution.
Here is the yearly flu vaccine effectiveness from the CDC - It probably is closer to 40% effective than 35
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-seasons-estimates.html

The reason flu vaccines have low effectiveness is that the flu virus mutates rapidly, in ways that enable it to maintain its virulence while evading antibodies to other strains.

The jury is still out on coronavirus, but so far it appears to mutate more slowly, and from what i've read most efforts to develop antibodies and vaccines are focused on its "spike" protein. It's widely believed, though far from certain at this time, that when the coronavirus mutates, it needs to retain the spike to gain access to cells, or the mutation will render it harmless. So it the hope is to develop countermeasures that are effective against all possible mutations that retain the spike.

Even so, it's not certain that having antibodies will prevent re-infection, though it's likely. It's also uncertain how long the protection will last.

On the other hand, if having antibodies does NOT provide protection, or if the coronavirus is able to mutate in ways that make antibodies / vaccines useless much like the influenza virus, then you can forget about herd immunity, too. If the virus mutates as rapidly as influenza while maintaining its virulence, thus rendering a vaccine ineffective... then there's no such thing as herd immunity, just as there's no herd immunity to the flu. That would be a really bad thing.

Bottom line - you can't have it both ways, expecting a vaccine to be as ineffective as the flu vaccine, while also hoping for herd immunity. There IS realistic hope that an effective vaccine is possible. And as someone else pointed out, effective treatments that reduce the mortality are also likely, and would make it a lot easier to get "back to normal" before the disease is entirely defeated.

95%+ of deaths are people with comorbiditys and the average age of death is 80. This virus is not a problem for the vast majority of the population. The ones at risk need to stay isolated, and eventually the virus will disappear. Very good chance that happens this summer.

You realize that a huge percentage of the U.S. population has one or more of those comorbidities, right?

1. Hypertension = high blood pressure. 45% of Americans have this.
2. Diabetes. 9.4% of Americans have this.
3. Hyperlipidemia = high cholesterol. 12% of American adults and 7% of children (!) have this.
4. Coronary artery disease. 6.7% of Americans have this.
5. Renal disease. 15% of American adults have chronic kidney disease.
6. Dementia. 1.6% of Americans (all ages) have dementia.
7. COPD. 4.9% of Americans have this.
8. Cancer. 9.4% of American adults have been diagnosed with cancer.
9. Atrial Fibrilation. 0.8-1.9% of Americans have this.
10. Heart failure. 805,000 Americans have a heart attack every year.

The fact that people who die are likely to have comorbidities does not mean that only sickly people die. The vast majority of Americans has AT LEAST one of the above comorbidities.

And when you say, "The ones at risk need to stay isolated", perhaps you imagine just very old or sickly people. But what about everyone who takes care of elderly parents, or a sick relative? What about everyone who works at a nursing home? What about everyone who works in a factory or office in close proximity to someone like that? What about everyone who wants to be able to visit their grandparents?

In China they are back to complete normal, economy is completely up and going.

In China, as well as South Korea, New Zealand, and Australia, and a couple other countries, they actually followed the guidelines that we should have followed in the U.S. They actually shut down and remained at home until they had extremely small numbers of daily new cases of COVID-19, combined with high levels of testing, so that they could quickly detect, trace contacts, and quarantine everyone likely to have been exposed. Exactly what we SAID we were going to do in this country, but mostly we were too lazy or impatient to follow through, so now our number of daily new cases and daily deaths remains close to its peak! There is absolutely no comparison between the situation in China and the current situation in the U.S.

Yesterday, there was ONE new case in China and New Zealand, 12 in South Korea, and 18 in Australia. There were 29,162 in the U.S.

About 9% of Deaths in NY are people under 75 without a co morbidity.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

That's a little misleading unless you know what percentage of the population is under 75 (94%) and what percentage has no comorbidities. If the percentage with no comorbidities is small, then 9% of all deaths is actually a significant percentage of that small intersection between people under 75 and people with no comorbidities.

Overall, 52.3% of deaths were people under 75.

There's nothing in these numbers that should be particularly reassuring to anyone but a small cohort of the population that's young, has no comorbidities, and doesn't ever come into close contact with people who are at higher risk (or perhaps a larger group, those who don't give a poo about people who are at higher risk).

the point still remains - the danger of this virus to the vast majority of the population is very low, while the danger of keeping the economy shut down is very very high.

It's true that keeping the economy shut down has very serious negative consequences, even in terms of lives lost. There is a balance to be found between staying shut down and saving lives, vs. returning to normal and letting hospitals get overwhelmed and continuing to have 2000-3000 Americans die every day from COVID-19. Sadly, we half-assed the shutdown and are being premature in opening, so we're getting the worst of both worlds.

It was probably folly to ever think that the U.S. could really do the shutdown properly and get it completely over with in 2-3 months as some other countries have done successfully. Anyway, here we are. In most of the country, we're not going to get daily new cases down low enough to test, track, trace, and quarantine contacts.

Bottom line: your stats were way off / misleading, and it's way too soon to buy into your conclusion that "There is going to be a season, and most likely for a good portion of it, fans are going to be in the stands."

...dave

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
If I pay as a season ticket holder in advance for every game I expect to attend every home game. Not worried about this virus as it is over hyped in my opinion. I know people have difficulty with a different opinion on this subject. The only way to get over it is to get it. A vaccination if one is discovered will be no different then a flu vaccination which is no where near 100 percent proof. Game on.

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
Will they still allow tailgating or will you be forced to either hit a local bar which will be limited or go into the stadium area and pay 12 bucks for a beer? If that is the case then refund my money.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I pay as a season ticket holder in advance for every game I expect to attend every home game. Not worried about this virus as it is over hyped in my opinion. I know people have difficulty with a different opinion on this subject. The only way to get over it is to get it. A vaccination if one is discovered will be no different then a flu vaccination which is no where near 100 percent proof. Game on.

READ post #32!

There is an opinion and then there is "informed" opinion.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
I had a fever two months ago. I didn't have the ***** or threw up

It was a shaking experience I've never had and would wish on anyone. What I'm saying is a lot of us have had this months ago

Covid19 is overrated

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had a fever two months ago. I didn't have the ***** or threw up

It was a shaking experience I've never had and would wish on anyone. What I'm saying is a lot of us have had this months ago

Covid19 is overrated

Unless you were tested and confirmed, you don't know what you had.

Some opinions are overrated.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m 77 years old and have had two Club Seats since the new stadium opened. In the off-season I transfer the license agreement to my grown son as we love the seat location and wanted to keep them in the family. The Cardinals were kind and allowed me to do this (note: some team don’t). I did pay for the seats this year in March before all of the coronavirus really hit. I’m not sure if my son will go to the games with his wife or daughters as he does like to go with me. He is not as worried about the coronavirus as I am because of my age. I have no problem watching the games at home this year (I think they will be televised even if there are no fans in the stands). I would hope there is a vaccine in the near future and seniors like me will be high on the list of getting the early supplies. I also have many senior friends that are ticket holders and are not paying their annual renewal fees. I have heard that lots of season ticket holders have not renewed for many teams but the NFL has not said anything about that.
Interestingly, the younger people on this thread are willing to go to games while older one like me aren't. (note:the numbers show that 80% of the deaths are people over 65).
Finally, the NFL and Bidwill will be very cautious on this. They are not dumb.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
Unless you were tested and confirmed, you don't know what you had.

Some opinions are overrated.
I love bantering.

I have been through enough for a couple of lifetimes...I've even spent six years in a fed prison. All this time I've grown wisdom and still love my Cardinals.

The first case of Covid19 was diagnosed in December of 2019. To feel like the virus first came out in 2020 is likely not the case.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love bantering.

I have been through enough for a couple of lifetimes...I've even spent six years in a fed prison. All this time I've grown wisdom and still love my Cardinals.

The first case of Covid19 was diagnosed in December of 2019. To feel like the virus first came out in 2020 is likely not the case.

That's no secret.. It's literally called Covid-*19* :)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bottom line: your stats were way off / misleading, and it's way too soon to buy into your conclusion that "There is going to be a season, and most likely for a good portion of it, fans are going to be in the stands."

...dave[/QUOTE]

Didn't want to copy your whole article as that would take up too much space. Just want you to know that it is really well thought through and excellently written.:raccoon:

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
READ post #32!

There is an opinion and then there is "informed" opinion.

The question was how many games to you plan to attend. I answered all.

My opinion is the same as anyone else's. An opinion. Not one person or one organization's predictions from the CDC's or WHO has been close to correct. Any Doctor with a different opinion other then lock everyone down has been ignored. My opinion is as "informed" as anyone else's.

The percentage of the American population that has been affected by Covid-19 is .4 (4 tenths of one percent). Yet 1 in 6 Americans have lost their jobs. 60 percent of small businesses will not reopen. I say it again. Over hyped. Just my opinion.

If you are worried then stay home.

Last edited:

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m 77 years old and have had two Club Seats since the new stadium opened. In the off-season I transfer the license agreement to my grown son as we love the seat location and wanted to keep them in the family. The Cardinals were kind and allowed me to do this (note: some team don’t). I did pay for the seats this year in March before all of the coronavirus really hit. I’m not sure if my son will go to the games with his wife or daughters as he does like to go with me. He is not as worried about the coronavirus as I am because of my age. I have no problem watching the games at home this year (I think they will be televised even if there are no fans in the stands). I would hope there is a vaccine in the near future and seniors like me will be high on the list of getting the early supplies. I also have many senior friends that are ticket holders and are not paying their annual renewal fees. I have heard that lots of season ticket holders have not renewed for many teams but the NFL has not said anything about that.
Interestingly, the younger people on this thread are willing to go to games while older one like me aren't. (note:the numbers show that 80% of the deaths are people over 65).
Finally, the NFL and Bidwill will be very cautious on this. They are not dumb.

They must have allowed you to transfer your license agreement because they were Club Seats and I assume you signed a contract. They do not allow this for regular season tickets as we have tried. Glad it worked out for you and your family.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For a question about attending games there have been a lot if political opinions posted. I thought it was a forum discussing the Cardinals,guess not.

Since my son owns the tickets it will be his decision. I have a a few of the problems that were mentioned and I would have know the seating arrangements, security lines and admission would be handled.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For a question about attending games there have been a lot if political opinions posted. I thought it was a forum discussing the Cardinals,guess not.

Since my son owns the tickets it will be his decision. I have a a few of the problems that were mentioned and I would have to know the seating arrangements,how security lines and admission would be handled.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They must have allowed you to transfer your license agreement because they were Club Seats and I assume you signed a contract. They do not allow this for regular season tickets as we have tried. Glad it worked out for you and your family.
Must be a newer rule. It’s been about 12-15 years now but my dad Was the primary on our seats and transferred them over to me at that time. We are not club. We are in ROH.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are correct that the Club Seats license agreement is basically a signed contract. Additionally, it's a 3 year commitment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave