2020 round 4B pick is Rashard Lawrence DT

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Rams fan and he was arguing that if the Cardinals didnt have Hopkins, that they would have one of the sorriest WR corps in the league.

First off, the Cardinals DO have Hopkins. Secondly the other state is false because their are probably a dozen WR Corps that are worse.

Your comment on the 80 yard run is reminiscent of that argument. You CAN'T take that 80 yard run away! Explosive plays are incredibly important. And your comment that every RB could make that play is absurdly false. Drake basically got a good opening and outran the Seahawks defense on that play.

That's why I like Drake. He's a smooth run who gets through the hole quickly and reads his blocks very well. Not quite shifty, but he does a great job finding creases.

Drake is absolutely replaceable, but the issue is that the Cardinals didnt have the draft capital to replace him this year. Maybe a trade down from the late first to early second next year :p
Sure, I'll circle the wagons again here.

In statistics, it's important to give less weight to outliers. Drake's run is a feat that will probably not be replicated, because his long runs do not stand out among his sample size. Unlike a player like Derrick Henry or Tyreek Hill, who frequently produce long gains during their play, Drake simply does not.

Taking a play in which almost all of the hard work was done for him (he doesn't make a guy miss, he doesn't even make a single cut), it's hard to let that account for close to 50% of his production for the day and say it's consistent and replicable. I've brought it up before, but it's like pretending Tim Hightower's 70 yard run against the Saints is something we should have anticipated him to replicate going forward for the Cardinals. It simply isn't.

When blended with the otherwise mediocre production by the player over the majority of his games, it means he's no sure thing.

You admit he's replaceable, and that was my argument all along in not re-signing him this offseason. We have him now, he's going to be our starting back, let's see what he can do. But his entire history as a player, through college and the NFL, does not indicate he'll be a 1,200 yard, 16 TD player. It would be an anomaly and major surprise for him to do that. (And it would be the second best RB season for the Cardinals ever.)

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I really like that we addressed the Defense this draft, this kid could be a solid player. Could he be a star? Maybe maybe not but my hope is that he just plays solid whenever he's in the game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, I'll circle the wagons again here.

In statistics, it's important to give less weight to outliers. Drake's run is a feat that will probably not be replicated, because his long runs do not stand out among his sample size. Unlike a player like Derrick Henry or Tyreek Hill, who frequently produce long gains during their play, Drake simply does not.

Taking a play in which almost all of the hard work was done for him (he doesn't make a guy miss, he doesn't even make a single cut), it's hard to let that account for close to 50% of his production for the day and say it's consistent and replicable. I've brought it up before, but it's like pretending Tim Hightower's 70 yard run against the Saints is something we should have anticipated him to replicate going forward for the Cardinals. It simply isn't.

When blended with the otherwise mediocre production by the player over the majority of his games, it means he's no sure thing.

You admit he's replaceable, and that was my argument all along in not re-signing him this offseason. We have him now, he's going to be our starting back, let's see what he can do. But his entire history as a player, through college and the NFL, does not indicate he'll be a 1,200 yard, 16 TD player. It would be an anomaly and major surprise for him to do that. (And it would be the second best RB season for the Cardinals ever.)
My problem with you regarding to Drake is that you act like he’s a bum like Melvin Gordon. He’s not great, but he’s a good player. I hope he doesn’t get those kind of stats because I want him & the other RBs to remain fresh enough for a hopeful playoff run.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My problem with you regarding to Drake is that you act like he’s a bum like Melvin Gordon. He’s not great, but he’s a good player. I hope he doesn’t get those kind of stats because I want him & the other RBs to remain fresh enough for a hopeful playoff run.
And my problem with you regarding Drake is that you think Gordon isn't the superior RB all-around, hah.

Real talk on Drake though - most of my disdain came from the idea of handing the dude a multi-year deal for a handful of decent games, at a time where I presumed we'd still be sidled with David Johnson's overwhelming deal. It could have saved my fingers a lot of effort if I had known months earlier that we'd have DJ's contract off the books and Drake on a one-year deal.

Now my only complaints at RB are based around long-term outlook, mainly based on age. We should be just fine with today's stable in 2020, and poised to roll with a proven player from today's roster, or able to acquire an RB in FA or the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And my problem with you regarding Drake is that you think Gordon isn't the superior RB all-around, hah.

Real talk on Drake though - most of my disdain came from the idea of handing the dude a multi-year deal for a handful of decent games, at a time where I presumed we'd still be sidled with David Johnson's overwhelming deal. It could have saved my fingers a lot of effort if I had known months earlier that we'd have DJ's contract off the books and Drake on a one-year deal.

Now my only complaints at RB are based around long-term outlook, mainly based on age. We should be just fine with today's stable in 2020, and poised to roll with a proven player from today's roster, or able to acquire an RB in FA or the draft.

Gordon is a piece a poo RB. Dude averages less than 4 yards a carry.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You have to be an especially crappy RB to average less than 4 yards per carry in this age.

His back up, Ekeler, well exceeded his efficiency.

It's a really bad hill to die on. Melvin Gordon is amongst one of the worst starting RBs over the past five years who continues to get lots of Carrie's.

I would trade Drake for Gordon and a 3rd rounder.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Gordon is a piece a **** RB. Dude averages less than 4 yards a carry.
You have to be an especially crappy RB to average less than 4 yards per carry in this age.

It's a really bad hill to die on. Melvin Gordon is amongst one of the worst starting RBs over the past five years who continues to get lots of Carrie's.

Well, it's all about context. Gordon crushed it in 2018 as the primary ballcarrier. He made a dumb decision in 2019 to hold out. We probably won't be able to ever prove anything in a sterile environment, but the fact of the matter is, Gordon's production blows Drake's out of the water. Teams don't sit great football players. I'd be willing to put cash on the line that Drake never gets anywhere close to a 1,500+ combined yard, 284 carry season with 83 targets, and 12 TDs. Or Gordon's 2018, where he was even more dominant in less time.

Rose colored glasses, my man. Drake has never sniffed his level of production, or been keyed in on as the primary option like Gordon was, because he couldn't find his way into a starting role over impact players like Kalen Ballage, Mark Walton, the corpse of Frank Gore, Damien Williams, and... Jay Ajayi, I guess.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it's all about context. Gordon crushed it in 2018 as the primary ballcarrier. He made a dumb decision in 2019 to hold out. We probably won't be able to ever prove anything in a sterile environment, but the fact of the matter is, Gordon's production blows Drake's out of the water. Teams don't sit great football players. I'd be willing to put cash on the line that Drake never gets anywhere close to a 1,500+ combined yard, 284 carry season with 83 targets, and 12 TDs. Or Gordon's 2018, where he was even more dominant in less time.

Rose colored glasses, my man. Drake has never sniffed his level of production, or been keyed in on as the primary option like Gordon was, because he couldn't find his way into a starting role over impact players like Kalen Ballage, Mark Walton, the corpse of Frank Gore, Damien Williams, and... Jay Ajayi, I guess.
Compared to the rest of his career so far, it seems that 2018 is the outlier more than anything.

You’re right about Drake never sniffing Melvin Gordon’s production. Constantly around the high end of 3 YPC is beautiful.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Compared to the rest of his career so far, it seems that 2018 is the outlier more than anything.

You’re right about Drake never sniffing Melvin Gordon’s production. Constantly around the high end of 3 YPC is beautiful.
Again, keyed in on. No team has ever lined up to stop Kenyan Drake. Few teams have ever thought he was even part of the gameplan. Why would they? The dude is barely a factor.

The board has treated him like he's Marshall Faulk since the Seattle game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, keyed in on. No team has ever lined up to stop Kenyan Drake. Few teams have ever thought he was even part of the gameplan. Why would they? The dude is barely a factor.

The board has treated him like he's Marshall Faulk since the Seattle game.
No they haven’t & you know it, lol. Stop with the hyperbole as always when it comes to Drake. People treat Drake for what he is. A good, not great, RB.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
but the fact of the matter is, Gordon's production blows Drake's out of the water.

JFC, you're still singing this sad song? For the 800th time? We get it - you hate Drake and think that Gordon is the second coming of Walter Payton. Can you move on to some other ridiculous theory now??

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No they haven’t & you know it, lol. Stop with the hyperbole as always when it comes to Drake. People treat Drake for what he is. A good, not great, RB.
I got hammered with 1,200 yards and 16 TD projections multiple times this offseason. There's a thread up about him being an RB1 in fantasy. The dude's gonna have a Carlos Hyde type season. 6-10 total TDs, ~800 yards rushing, ~400 receiving, and will be completely replaceable.

You and I disagree on the hyperbole, I guess, especially when compared to a Melvin Gordon, whose stats we'd be lucky to have from 2017-2018.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
JFC, you're still singing this sad song? For the 800th time? We get it - you hate Drake and think that Gordon is the second coming of Walter Payton. Can you move on to some other ridiculous theory now??
Dude, the stats are simple. I don't think Gordon is a perennial All-Pro, but Drake has had years upon years to prove his worth and simply hasn't.

You'd be hard pressed to find a single outlet that had Drake ranked over Gordon in FA this offseason. I literally only ever saw one. Our fans are way overrating a middle-of-the-road back.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got hammered with 1,200 yards and 16 TD projections multiple times this offseason. There's a thread up about him being an RB1 in fantasy. The dude's gonna have a Carlos Hyde type season. 6-10 total TDs, ~800 yards rushing, ~400 receiving, and will be completely replaceable.

You and I disagree on the hyperbole, I guess, especially when compared to a Melvin Gordon, whose stats we'd be lucky to have from 2017-2018.
Trust me, we would not be lucky to have a RB trying to grab 4.0 YPC for dear life, lol.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Trust me, we would not be lucky to have a RB trying to grab 4.0 YPC for dear life, lol.
I'd bet you money that Drake does not have 4.0 YPC as a featured back.

Edit: To be clear, that means starting a full season and taking the vast majority of the carries.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m sure he easily exceeds that.
Icon bet or something if you don't wanna do cash, or bragging rights alone. Just a good spirited thing. We can approach it again when we know more what the season looks like.

Much respect, just a disagreement.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude's gonna have a Carlos Hyde type season. 6-10 total TDs, ~800 yards rushing, ~400 receiving, and will be completely replaceable.

I'd bet you money that Drake does not have 4.0 YPC as a featured back.
Put me down for $100 on the over for each of those propositions! For the first you can just combine the yards. Say 1300 total rushing + receiving and 10 TDs, giving you the upper end of your range. No action on the first bet if he misses more than 3 starts by injury. No action on the second bet if he plays fewer than 6 games (to protect you from an "anomalous" big play followed by an injury that limits his season to a small sample size.)

...dave

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Big deal - there aren't that many Carrie's in the world.

I've only met one Carrie in my life and, yes, I had her.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score

Big deal - there aren't that many Carrie's in the world.

I've only met one Carrie in my life and, yes, I had her.

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

All with genius Adam Gase as head coach...which is another hill you make your stand, that Gase is actually a good coach.

Gase is basically Ken Whisenhunt. His system works! Until it doesn't, and even then it works!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, the stats are simple. I don't think Gordon is a perennial All-Pro, but Drake has had years upon years to prove his worth and simply hasn't.

You'd be hard pressed to find a single outlet that had Drake ranked over Gordon in FA this offseason. I literally only ever saw one. Our fans are way overrating a middle-of-the-road back.

Happy to put money on Drake having a 1000 yard rushing season. I'm not so sure about receiving, a lot of options on this offense. Maybe 300 tops.

He's always been a good running back. Gase just massively underused him.

To get a guy with 5 years of NFL experience with so little wear on him is a great get.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave