Is one and done coming to an end?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion about one and done coming to an end perhaps as we know it?

I can't help but think once the ball gets rolling elite college players will follow the G-League route. At least a couple of elite players have chosen to go this direction. Why not get paid and prepared for the NBA at the same time?

Jalen Green and now Daishen Nix have chosen to go this direction.

California high school star Jalen Green, the No. 1 prospect in the 2020 ESPN 100, is making the leap to a reshaped NBA professional pathway program -- a G League initiative that sources say will pay elite prospects $500,000-plus and provide a one-year development program outside of the minor league's traditional team structure.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...player-jalen-green-enter-nba-g-league-pathway

Five-star point guard Daishen Nix is decommitting from UCLA and signing with the new G League pathway program, the league announced Tuesday.

"I think it was the right thing for me because it was a family thing and a myself thing," Nix told the Los Angeles Times. "Playing in G League is basically getting me ready for the NBA draft. It's just one step below the NBA."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29108600/five-star-pg-daishen-nix-decommits-ucla-join-g-league

I'm expecting more players to choose the G-League route. The pandemic hasn't helped.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daishen Nix is expected to make something in the area of $300,000 range with the G-League.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sucks for UCLA fans but I'm ok with it. With everything going on, the kid is doing what he thinks is best for him.

UCLA will be ok, hell we may not even have a season.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer the MLB route - sign out of HS, or go to college three years minimum. (Maybe two for NBA would be better).

College product would improve, IMHO. One-and-done players are bad for the college game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This almost certainly further opens the door to players getting paid in college.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of colleges are going to start feeling the effects and it's going to impact who they recruit. Some colleges are going to look for players they can keep for several years with more of an emphasis on team basketball rather than relying on elite stars.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion about one and done coming to an end perhaps as we know it?

I can't help but think once the ball gets rolling elite college players will follow the G-League route. At least a couple of elite players have chosen to go this direction. Why not get paid and prepared for the NBA at the same time?

Jalen Green and now Daishen Nix have chosen to go this direction.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...player-jalen-green-enter-nba-g-league-pathway

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29108600/five-star-pg-daishen-nix-decommits-ucla-join-g-league

I'm expecting more players to choose the G-League route. The pandemic hasn't helped.

I'd prefer the MLB route - sign out of HS, or go to college three years minimum. (Maybe two for NBA would be better).

College product would improve, IMHO. One-and-done players are bad for the college game.

The NBA already signed off on a rule change, the 2021 NBA draft will be the first effected by it. If a high school player chooses to go to college it will be 2 years before they are draft eligible again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The NBA already signed off on a rule change, the 2021 NBA draft will be the first effected by it. If a high school player chooses to go to college it will be 2 years before they are draft eligible again.

So that includes no G-League contracts I’m guessing?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to find something more current than the linked 2018 ESPN article. It talks about knew the potential for a double class.

From ESPN:

The NBA on Friday sent teams a memo indicating that "eligibility rules" for the draft may shift as early as 2021 (but no earlier) as the league reviews issues "related to player development and the corruption investigation in college basketball," according to a copy of the memo obtained by ESPN.

The memo does not mention the one-and-done rule by name, but it is meant to remind teams that the league and the players union could agree to scrap one-and-done before the expiration of the current collective bargaining deal in 2024 -- and perhaps well before then, sources say. The memo says that, as of now, the league does not expect changes in draft eligibility rules to take place at any time "prior to the 2021 or 2022 draft."

If such a change were to happen, it could create a single draft loaded with the best prospects from two consecutive high school classes.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23804458/memo-states-nba-draft-eligibility-shift-21

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you have a link to the this provision?

I haven't seen anything about a minimum number of years if a player chooses college.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that includes no G-League contracts I’m guessing?

As yet, I'm not sure anything is written in stone. I guess the G-League can be a stepping stone to the NBA or the player may be able to directly enter the NBA from high school at the appropriate time.

The NBA is expected to lower its age limit in time for the 2022 draft and allow high school players who have graduated to go straight to the NBA without spending a year in college or the G League, but league sources say a venture of this nature may end up being a model that is explored as a potential compromise, depending on how things play out over the next three years.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good. Everybody knows the NCAA is extremely shady hell all of college sports for that matter.

I think it was Forbes that put the value of Thee Ohio State Football team at like 2 billion.

everybody getting filthy rich but the kids, but let somebody buy that kid a value meal at McDonald’s and it’s literally a violation that’s going to get him suspended.

F that. Go get paid. There’s a certain type of person that’s pulls the oh there getting a free education they should be grateful card. Hi hater.

“Student athlete” lol

let that student athlete get hurt and watch how fast they pull that scholarship especially if it’s not a star.

go get paid, go get into an NBA environment

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the NCAA will adopt new name, image and likeness rules for players starting in 2021-22. This will allow them to receive compensation.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

The NCAA says it is expected to adopt new name, image and likeness rules for athletes starting 2021-22, allowing them to receive compensation for third-party endorsements and opportunities such as social media, businesses and personal appearances.

5:38 AM - 29 Apr 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on NCAA changes likely to come so players can receive compensation. There may be a cap on how much players can earn.

From Jeff Metcalfe, Arizona Republic:

A committee chaired by Big East commissioner Val Ackerman and Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith worked for a year on the changes, which include allowing athletes to be paid for such opportunities as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances related to and separate from athletics.

Athletes will be permitted to identify themselves by their sport and school but not to use conference or school logos or trademarks, drawing a line between being a student and an employee.

The Board of Governors is requiring that name, image, likeness activities not be considered pay for play or used for recruiting by schools and boosters and the regulation of agents and advisers.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...athletes-paid-name-image-likeness/3047214001/

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People think the kid talked about there is Josh Christopher who's going to ASU.

The claim is that the kid and his people asked the G League for 1 million and were turned down.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People think the kid talked about there is Josh Christopher who's going to ASU.

The claim is that the kid and his people asked the G League for 1 million and were turned down.

I suspect the G-League has been after a number of 5 star players. When I mentioned Daishen Nix, I thought about Josh Christopher as well. I bet some of these kids will eventually get it or take a lesser offer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect the G-League has been after a number of 5 star players. When I mentioned Daishen Nix, I thought about Josh Christopher as well. I bet some of these kids will eventually get it or take a lesser offer.

Nix is interesting as he's obviously the first kid that had a signed NLI to do this, Green didn't, the kid who left Michigan I don't think had signed yet. That's why UCLA fans are complaining but my guess is Nix saw his financial situation change, maybe parents lost jobs who knows, so he probably approached the G League is my guess. I don't fault them for that.

At one point Nix was trying to recruit Green, Christopher, Ziaire Williams etc all to follow him to UCLA, there were several iterations not always the same guys. I'm not saying that means he'll recruit others to the G League just I suspect there are several kids looking at it. And we don't know if it is Christopher that asked for 1 million, could just as easily be say Cade Cunningham or Mobley although in those 2 cases they hired the relative to get the kid so maybe those kids will just go to college.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nix is interesting as he's obviously the first kid that had a signed NLI to do this, Green didn't, the kid who left Michigan I don't think had signed yet. That's why UCLA fans are complaining but my guess is Nix saw his financial situation change, maybe parents lost jobs who knows, so he probably approached the G League is my guess. I don't fault them for that.

At one point Nix was trying to recruit Green, Christopher, Ziaire Williams etc all to follow him to UCLA, there were several iterations not always the same guys. I'm not saying that means he'll recruit others to the G League just I suspect there are several kids looking at it. And we don't know if it is Christopher that asked for 1 million, could just as easily be say Cade Cunningham or Mobley although in those 2 cases they hired the relative to get the kid so maybe those kids will just go to college.

It's going to be interesting how college basketball handles this. They are starting to make changes which will allow athletes to get paid but it's seemingly happening slower than the G-League changes. Next year I suspect the G-League option to get paid will really take off.

I think college basketball is going to be much like Major League Baseball where the colleges never gets the elite athletes or certainly not the ones that are more developed. Upper tier, mid-level recruits may become the recruiting base for the top college programs.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully this effort can be used to eliminate the farcical nature of the NCAA. The hypocritical nature of profiting from student efforts while they cannot profit themselves, especially from their own likenesses.
I do however find that the Universities are quite correct in saying that the value of a full scholarship is dramatic payment for these kids. I'm still paying off my student loans and should finish just about the time my own kids go to college. College tuition, room, and board is more per year than most people make, and it's quite a bit to be giving these kids to play a season of football or basketball games.
Now we really can't get into a payment/bidding war between schools for athletes. (Some cynics would say it's already happening, but quite on the down low) but not to a huge degree. If you think its bad having 22 year old millionaires trying to navigate the world while the rest of us heap money on them, imagine it's 17-18 year olds in every high school with a big program. There is no end to the grabbing/funneling/bribing that would go on.
I also believe there is a place for amateur athletics, and that someone, somewhere should care about the simple integrity of sport and not to bastardize everything good in the world. No one would dispute that college basketball has been destroyed by the one-and-done gang. The NBA doesn't look so smooth at times either, with every team having to continually bank its future on teenagers demanding entry to the league. It has put total control of the league in the hands of the few star caliber players who stick around and can dictate success or failure to the teams they choose to play on. College ball should be amateur, and the players should be student athletes who consider themselves lucky to play and receive a scholarship and who give solid true effort for the privilege. College ball should not be forced to be a seedy, underhanded, back alley payoff cesspool of graft. The programs shouldn't have to go out and recruit a whole new team every year as kids use the programs as an irritating stepping stone to their NBA dreams. Kids who truly have the talent to play in the league right out of high school though should not be denied the option of jumping right away.

So this new G League jump may be the answer, if handled properly. I think this would work:
Anytime after graduating high school, a player can audition for the G league. If the league accepts them, they can negotiate a salary arrangement and become pro's, fully aware that it is a minor league developmental home for the NBA. If the NBA wants to call them up, they can do so, and willing teams can bid for a contract. Players also have to know that taking this path will professionally preclude them from ever getting an athletic scholarship to college for that sport. This will hopefully allow an end to the joke about kids who truly have no interest in being college students and only want to use the school for a year to get into pro ball. Hopefully will diminish the influence of dirty organizations like the AAU and eliminate the need for illegal payoffs.

Those other young men who really want to go to college, to get their education and get a degree, and play basketball on a huge stage and possibly get into the NBA can do so with scholarship privileges. The scholarship is the only payment they should receive ( it really is an incredible value) and the schools and conferences use the revenue to fund the other sports and the schools' general fund, as it should. The players offered a scholarship would need to commit to at least three years with the school to justify the scholarship offer and coaching and recruiting efforts. There would still be a draft and players would be taken after three or four years at the school. The schools should be precluded from using players' likenesses for anything except to promote the games themselves. There would be a lot more stability and talent and maturity in the college game again.

Although everyone has big dreams, the kids coming out of high school and their families would need to realize that very very few have the ability to jump and succeed. There just aren't that many spots in the NBA on a year to year basis. The collegiate pathway has a lot more options in life for young men, if they are of the type to seek it. The guys seeking a quick payday have a pathway to do so, if they have the skills.

I think having colleges try to compete financially by giving the team members new ability to try to grab dollars from the local community in a free for all is going down the wrong path and will only overcomplicate and pervert the process even more. Keep colleges clean, and allow the mercenary crowd an different opportunity in the G League if they can do it. Having the colleges, G League, and the Pros all trying to fight with each other for dollars and teenagers in a sloppy soup of corruption isn't the answer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this effort can be used to eliminate the farcical nature of the NCAA. The hypocritical nature of profiting from student efforts while they cannot profit themselves, especially from their own likenesses.
I do however find that the Universities are quite correct in saying that the value of a full scholarship is dramatic payment for these kids. I'm still paying off my student loans and should finish just about the time my own kids go to college. College tuition, room, and board is more per year than most people make, and it's quite a bit to be giving these kids to play a season of football or basketball games.
Now we really can't get into a payment/bidding war between schools for athletes. (Some cynics would say it's already happening, but quite on the down low) but not to a huge degree. If you think its bad having 22 year old millionaires trying to navigate the world while the rest of us heap money on them, imagine it's 17-18 year olds in every high school with a big program. There is no end to the grabbing/funneling/bribing that would go on.
I also believe there is a place for amateur athletics, and that someone, somewhere should care about the simple integrity of sport and not to bastardize everything good in the world. No one would dispute that college basketball has been destroyed by the one-and-done gang. The NBA doesn't look so smooth at times either, with every team having to continually bank its future on teenagers demanding entry to the league. It has put total control of the league in the hands of the few star caliber players who stick around and can dictate success or failure to the teams they choose to play on. College ball should be amateur, and the players should be student athletes who consider themselves lucky to play and receive a scholarship and who give solid true effort for the privilege. College ball should not be forced to be a seedy, underhanded, back alley payoff cesspool of graft. The programs shouldn't have to go out and recruit a whole new team every year as kids use the programs as an irritating stepping stone to their NBA dreams. Kids who truly have the talent to play in the league right out of high school though should not be denied the option of jumping right away.

So this new G League jump may be the answer, if handled properly. I think this would work:
Anytime after graduating high school, a player can audition for the G league. If the league accepts them, they can negotiate a salary arrangement and become pro's, fully aware that it is a minor league developmental home for the NBA. If the NBA wants to call them up, they can do so, and willing teams can bid for a contract. Players also have to know that taking this path will professionally preclude them from ever getting an athletic scholarship to college for that sport. This will hopefully allow an end to the joke about kids who truly have no interest in being college students and only want to use the school for a year to get into pro ball. Hopefully will diminish the influence of dirty organizations like the AAU and eliminate the need for illegal payoffs.

Those other young men who really want to go to college, to get their education and get a degree, and play basketball on a huge stage and possibly get into the NBA can do so with scholarship privileges. The scholarship is the only payment they should receive ( it really is an incredible value) and the schools and conferences use the revenue to fund the other sports and the schools' general fund, as it should. The players offered a scholarship would need to commit to at least three years with the school to justify the scholarship offer and coaching and recruiting efforts. There would still be a draft and players would be taken after three or four years at the school. The schools should be precluded from using players' likenesses for anything except to promote the games themselves. There would be a lot more stability and talent and maturity in the college game again.

Although everyone has big dreams, the kids coming out of high school and their families would need to realize that very very few have the ability to jump and succeed. There just aren't that many spots in the NBA on a year to year basis. The collegiate pathway has a lot more options in life for young men, if they are of the type to seek it. The guys seeking a quick payday have a pathway to do so, if they have the skills.

I think having colleges try to compete financially by giving the team members new ability to try to grab dollars from the local community in a free for all is going down the wrong path and will only overcomplicate and pervert the process even more. Keep colleges clean, and allow the mercenary crowd an different opportunity in the G League if they can do it. Having the colleges, G League, and the Pros all trying to fight with each other for dollars and teenagers in a sloppy soup of corruption isn't the answer.

A college scholarship for playing sports is fair but with the commitment of athletes to school, practice and sports, it's hard for them to hold a part-time job.

I haven't kept up with stipends and such but it seems fair to give them enough pocket money for their additional obligations.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was fair in 1978 but this is 2020 and it’s big time business now. Coaches making MILLIONS and millions are being brought in on the backs of kids.

how much does Alabama football bring in? Kansas Basketball? And so on and so on.

in no world is a college scholarship equal to this money being brought in. No one forced you to go in to that much debt to make 50k a year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not clear if he has a G league deal but looks like Kyree Walker is going pro too. A one time ASU commit this was not a big surprise he didn't play last year he was working out privately and it was assumed the intent was to go pro. He's almost 20. Saw him very early on in 7th grade, he already looked like he was a senior in HS, really well put together, had a mustache etc. He got thick as he got older but apparently has leaned out.

He made it official a few weeks ago he was going pro, not clear if he has a deal.