2020 6th round pick is Evan Weaver ILB

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
heard his college coach from Cal on the radio.

he used a term a few times:

"he operates in the red zone..."

mostly it was a compliment, but a little it wasnt

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about his strength then I am his speed. I don't see him being a 3 down player but to be that thumper he needs to add some strength. I like the pick and am also rooting for him.
My idea for him a kinda super subb for when the starters need a rest a few plays here and there maybe a spot start also and a complete terror in special teams which like I said a few post ago we surely could use I quite frankly am tired of the long returns and easy touchdowns from the other teams

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t even get how this reached 14 pages smh

All I said was the FO shouldn’t be drafting/signing 1980s-esque players in 2020

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don’t even get how this reached 14 pages smh

He's a 6th round pick that should give us some value on 1st and 2nd downs as well as on special teams. I struggle to see a problem with that pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Cause I don’t see value nor upside.
Not every pick needs to have upside (not that I believe that he has none). Weaver is a guy that simply knows how to play football and sometimes those are the guys you take later in the draft. He may never be anything special, but he will almost certainly find a role that helps us win games. Whether it be special teams or maybe also as a two down LB. It's ultimately worth spending a 6th round pick on someone like that.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

But you wanted us to sign Corey Littleton (who got 12m/year) and tested out worse than Weaver at combine and didn't come close to his production in college.

Weaver had more tackles in his senior year than Littleton had his entire career. Littleton went undrafted.

Total tackles - Weaver 407 and Littleton 176. Weaver is a tackling machine.

Weaver had 2 INT's and 11 PD's vs 0 INT's and 6 PD's for Littleton.

There is a reason he lasted until the 6th round but c'mon...we got this guy in the 6th round. No reason to hate on the pick.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, and the bottom line is that you either don't value Special Teams' play or don't see Weaver as being able to play ST's. As for me, I've learned that over the years ST play is very important. And based upon his size and attitude, Evan Weaver should be a VG ST player.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word around the campfire is that while in Greece, Weaver spent a year in silence, just to better understand the sound of a whisper.

I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Evan Weaver!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want some bad writing, try this:

The lovely woman-child Kaa was mercilessly chained to the cruel post of the warrior-chief Beast, with his barbarous tribe now stacking wood at her nubile feet, when the strong, clear voice of Evan "guardian of the universe" Weaver roared, “Flick your Bic, crisp that chick, and you'll feel my steel through your last meal.”

Last edited:

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Kyle Odegard @Kyle_Odegard

Cardinals LB Evan Weaver on how he became such a good tackler: "My mom would yell at me from the stands, 'Wrap 'em up, wrap 'em up.' If I missed a tackle, I'd have to do like 50 push-ups before I could even get in the car after a game."

Darren Urban @Cardschatter

Sixth-round #AZCardinals LB Evan Weaver on the analysis he isn't that athletic and more about effort:

"You know, 4.4 40s don't win you Super Bowls. Guys who are willing to actually play win you Super Bowls."

More Evan Weaver, on potentially being compared to Pat Tillman: "I know Pat was a super fiery competitor, a one-of-a-kind guy. Always there for the team ... Then he went and served our country. I would hate to be compared to that, because no one compared to that."

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rooting for this kid.

My goodness if this guy was a better athlete he would be top 10.

He is a flippin' football Jedi. Always in the right place, and taking the right steps at the right moment.

We will see, but I am rooting for him.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
I agree.

There has to be room for a gamer and deluxe hitting game changer. Issue will be whether attitude and physicality can compensate for athletic limitations. My gut tells me that, if he sticks, he can win games for us.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I think he is a tremendous player to find in the 6th round.

Guys in the 6th and 7th round are either:
1) significant injury history
2) looks like Tarzan...
3) productive but bad workouts

IMO the guys from that group that generally end up better than you think are group #3.

I think at worst with his demeanor, we are looking at a run down backer and special teamer. Good 6th round pick.
To beat a very dead horse there was a certain QB taken in the 6th round that has 6 Super Bowl wins not saying Weaver could even whiff his Jock Strap but attitude and drive sometimes tops athleticism

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
..lol Looks like Jack Klugman on a football field...15 pages for a 6th rd pick...lol..ok

He's not just a late rd pick!

He EVAN the Magnificient!!

OUR 6th rd pick!!!

(and, as such, deserves 15 more pages of deep reflection)

az red dawn

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the direction we are going.
We are known for 2 things on defense
-not being able to stop the run
-missing tackles
Weaver takes care of both those problems!
Thanks to covid I have been able to watch endless game film on Weaver and Simmons.
weaver 3 cone 7.02
shuttle 4.21!!
40yd time 4.76. and what not many talk about is being able to diagnose a play and stay ahead of it. which Weaver seems to do faster than anyone! I believe we stole this pick! the Simmons Weaver combo will be unstoppable!

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
When we made the pick my first thought was Scooby Wright 2.0, but honestly once you look at the numbers Weaver is a much better athlete (Scooby ran a 4.9 40). His combine number are actually on par or better then the standard for starting ILB's in the league. Really might have been a steal. Looking forward to seeing him on the field. Love the attitude and intensity for sure.
:newcards:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To beat a very dead horse there was a certain QB taken in the 6th round that has 6 Super Bowl wins not saying Weaver could even whiff his Jock Strap but attitude and drive sometimes tops athleticism

lol