The Simmons Flaw or Is It?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Okay, so a few didn’t like the word “odd.” Let’s look at the teams. Detroit needed a corner because they just gave away Slay. He was a proven, Pro Bowl CB talent. They had the cap room to keep him. What’s their biggest post draft need? Most say OLB; the spot most draft analysts expected Simmons to play. What do you think? Would they have been better with Slay & Simmons? I think so. I’d rate that sequence as odd.

How about the Giants? I like what the NY Post had to say,
“Isaiah Simmons could end up haunting the Giants in so many ways.
Though Clemson’s ultra-versatile linebacker/safety would have provided a much-needed defensive game-changer for the Giants, general manager Dave Gettleman instead opted to select Georgia offensive tackle Thomas with the fourth-overall pick in Thursday’s 2020 NFL Draft, allowing Simmons to slide to the Cardinals with the eighth pick.”

Keep in mind they could have had Jones or Cleveland in round 2 to name just a couple of options. Seems odd to me.

The Panthers debated Simmons but chose Brown. Need? How about Luke Kuechley’s exit? If you think the ILB is too physical, the Panthers already expect to move Thompson inside, leaving both OLB slots to inexperienced options. There is no question they need an inside run stopper, but Simmons is far more of a broad based impact player. There were run stoppers available later in the draft. Ironically Bravvion Roy, one of my favorites, was selected by them in the sixth round. He could develop into that stopper. I’m not saying Brown is not a decent choice I’m just saying Simmons was a far superior option in many ways.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have a question for defensive X's and O's guys:
Simmons has been talked about as a weak side ILB as his natural position. If his primary defensive directive though will be to negate the opposing tight end, wouldn't he be better positioned on the strong side, to grab control of the TE from the proper side? The other ILB can be the tacking machine, leaving Simmons free to cover TE's, rush the passer as needed, go deep as needed, or crash the line.

I think it will depend on opponent and personnel set. And dont forget that Campbell will have a role as well.

In a 12 personnel set he's going to be all over the place. The Niners games are going to be a hoot to watch from the all-22 view.

In 11 he will be next to Hicks possibly over the TE (weak or strong). Or..... my hope...... Murphy & Budda don't follow the motion and all three of them become interchangeable as a way to not expose man versus zone concepts.

In 10 personnel I bet he does some blitz, some safety, and some slot CB. Similar to 11.

In empty sets...... My guess is that PP, Alford, Murphy, Budda, Simmons and a Thompson will be out there.

Gonna be a ton of fun to watch either way.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Simmons and Brown are both blue chip players with each of them having the potential to be future all-pros. I don't understand why anybody would question Carolina picking Brown over Simmons. I loved them both going into the draft and personally couldn't decide which one I wanted more if both were available. I'm glad the Cardinals have Simmons, but wouldn't have been disappointed if Carolina picked Simmons and we ended up with Brown.

I question it, because I think Brown sucks. Whatever, I'm happy Carolina got stuck with him. Best case they got a run stuffer who gets 2 or 3 sacks a year, which is hardly worth the 7th overall pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I question it, because I think Brown sucks. Whatever, I'm happy Carolina got stuck with him. Best case they got a run stuffer who gets 2 or 3 sacks a year, which is hardly worth the 7th overall pick.
Or he could turn into Fletcher Cox & Simmons could just be a slightly better Reddick.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I don't necessarily think it odd. I just think of it as different people have different thoughts, wants, desires and needs. And, if they are in the right position, they make the choice they want. And, in this case, I am so happy that they made the wrong choices. :D, and that we made the right choices . :cheers:

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was simple to me:

1 - Easy
2 - Best positional player in the draft - At a premium position
3 - 2nd Best positional player in the draft - At a premium position
4 - Idiot old school GM going after the top LT instead of looking at how football is changing.
5 - QB
6 - QB - Many teams make picks like this when they are between 7 and 15.
7 - Only odd one. And my guess is we got lucky with a new HC taking an old school mindset instead of, again, looking at the changing landscape. Hurney should have freaking known better. But..... THANKS!

I think there were two factors at play at #7.

1) Hurney is an old school guy that seeks to shore up the trenches first.
2) DT has less of a learning curve than LB.

Reaction score
Okay, so a few didn’t like the word “odd.” Let’s look at the teams. Detroit needed a corner because they just gave away Slay. He was a proven, Pro Bowl CB talent. They had the cap room to keep him. What’s their biggest post draft need? Most say OLB; the spot most draft analysts expected Simmons to play. What do you think? Would they have been better with Slay & Simmons? I think so. I’d rate that sequence as odd.

How about the Giants? I like what the NY Post had to say,
“Isaiah Simmons could end up haunting the Giants in so many ways.
Though Clemson’s ultra-versatile linebacker/safety would have provided a much-needed defensive game-changer for the Giants, general manager Dave Gettleman instead opted to select Georgia offensive tackle Thomas with the fourth-overall pick in Thursday’s 2020 NFL Draft, allowing Simmons to slide to the Cardinals with the eighth pick.”

Keep in mind they could have had Jones or Cleveland in round 2 to name just a couple of options. Seems odd to me.

The Panthers debated Simmons but chose Brown. Need? How about Luke Kuechley’s exit? If you think the ILB is too physical, the Panthers already expect to move Thompson inside, leaving both OLB slots to inexperienced options. There is no question they need an inside run stopper, but Simmons is far more of a broad based impact player. There were run stoppers available later in the draft. Ironically Bravvion Roy, one of my favorites, was selected by them in the sixth round. He could develop into that stopper. I’m not saying Brown is not a decent choice I’m just saying Simmons was a far superior option in many ways.
I believe that this was all predictable, but also incredibly lucky for the Cardinals that it all came together the way it did. Predictable in that I believe its human nature to over-think things. A good analogy is taking a multiple-choice exam; your first instinct is most often the correct one, and when you over-think it, sometimes you end up changing the answer/selection. And nothing is more over-thought than the NFL draft.

As for Detroit jettisoning Slay, most people would attribute that as, "its the Lions, so. . ." Granted there may have been issues between Slay and the organization that are unknown to others.
NY Giants, one can argue they made the correct decision for their club. Most believe a top OT is more rare than a top defender of any stripe.
Carolina, that's the place I thought Simmons would go, even though they had great need on the DL.

Lucky in that all things came together in the exact sequence that the Cardinals needed, and, in this moment they were wise enough to trust their instincts!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Simmons and Brown are both blue chip players with each of them having the potential to be future all-pros. I don't understand why anybody would question Carolina picking Brown over Simmons. I loved them both going into the draft and personally couldn't decide which one I wanted more if both were available. I'm glad the Cardinals have Simmons, but wouldn't have been disappointed if Carolina picked Simmons and we ended up with Brown.

I didn't think Simmons would be there for the Cardinals so I was leaning towards Brown or an offensive tackle.

Brown or Simmons would have been fine with me.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
These are all valid concerns. Facts are that it is unconventional to take a non-pass rusher or non-shut down CB in the top 10. Are we going to look back and say how great it was to take a a player at 8 who has more pass breakups than sacks when it comes time to extend his contract? The one consolation is that with a quality DC, Simmons can't be a bust. He is too versatile and too much of an athlete.

Best case scenario is Brian Urlacher who does everything including rushing the passer. 4 - 6 sacks per year. 6-8 passes defensed. A couple INTs. 8-12 TFL.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I was curious how it happened that Simmons slid to the Cards. Some of the teams made obvious choices, QBs and the best edge rusher in the draft. Then there’s Detroit, NYG and Carolina. Any of them could have used Simmons but all went elsewhere. The question is why. The answer is truly odd IMO.
I Think you overthink this a bit.

Gettleman always takes the player he wants regardless of precise Value.

And he Doesn’t fit the patriots/Lions scheme that Good. Or the positional flex Value isn’t as High for Them, because he would purely be a Safety for Them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My only question was who would have drooled over thought of getting Simmons? Raiders? I would have been on phone to Maylock and asked if they wanted him for their 12 & 19 which might have worked. With that we could of had Kinlaw or Lamb, and then Chaisson, Murray, Jefferson, Ruiz, or a top CB.

So my thought was did Keim even try.
My answer to your question is: the cardinals drooled over him (as did I) so who cares if they tried?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave