Outlander

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread for this one, but I didn't see it in a forum search. Maybe the hackers ate it.

Anyway, the first episode is on demand now. I'll keep watching it because the acting, characters, story, premise, are all top-notch quality. The story telling angle is pretty irksome to me, but I think it's something I can get around. Details in the spoilers.

The inner monologue/flashbacks are highly annoying, and a detail that will bring this from an outstanding show to an okay show. Just as stuff gets ready to happen, the action stops and we get a stupid flashback/the character's inner voice telling us what's happening. I'm a writer, and one of the main guidelines is 'show, don't tell'. Don't 'tell' us what's happening--allow it to happen. Don't stop at the big transition and tell a story about being in a car wreck to represent how the moment felt--give us the frickin' moment!

Wow, okay, rant over. Like I said, it's something I can get past, but it will drag the show down somewhat.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is rapidly approaching 'meh' territory. It doesn't help that the main character's a reckless idiot who is rapidly losing any kind of sympathy.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've been binge watching the first 3 seasons since we've all been under "house arrest." :)

Became interested in it when someone told me it involves time travel and it's a period piece (2 of my fav things). Loved this show! I even had to get a subscription to STARZ to view season 4 onward.

Have been watching Poldark as well, but not as interesting to me as Outlander.

the character's inner voice telling us what's happening

I like the inner voice - sometimes you can't really tell what the character is thinking so this crystallizes their thought process for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose