2020 Round 4A pick is Leki Fotu DT

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
More or less that could be said, I think Harry didn't like Dan Williams either or just a little bit more, because when I watched Fotu's tape I saw more or less a bigger stronger Dan Williams, don't know if that is what Harry saw, but Williams was an out of date NT in the early 2010-16 where everyone searched for the next Ngata and the rest moved on to more mobile NT and less static closers.

And yes, NE worked exactly with that, they used the unmovable Shelton to anchor the center of the DL and let the ILB/S fill in the gap with a run stoper. Often even so to let you gain 2-3 yards per play in full knowledge that the opponent would take this short yardages in hope they could get 4-5 out of it but often even way less. Worked for NE, if we intend to do something similar in the future with Hicks and Weaver being exactly that type of ILB that can work great in that system, this pick would make really sense.

But like Harry said, Fotu, could be also a really moveable NT, but he didn't tap into that yet. On tape it seems he has everything you hope for in a modern NT but the guy doesn't put it together in the game. @Harry, is that also something you see, and probably dislike on him?
Simply put, for whatever reason, there seemed to be low effort plays. He didn’t pursue. He didn’t penetrate. Sometimes he anchored well, sometimes he didn’t. He wasn’t a tackling machine. P I read a quote somewhere another player said Fotu’s job was just to occupy OLs. I never heard of that defense. Sure it helps other defenders if he’s double-teamed but why double team a guy who doesn’t penetrate. You can run around a tree.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
From VJ presser yesterday:

Fotu played in a defense that asked him to take on blockers and keep LB's clean. He didn't get to show his athleticism the way he will in our defense. Thinks he will show to be a better pass rusher (collapse the pocket guy) and more effective in attack mode. He also said he will play him across the line...not just NT.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
im curious if Fotu lost maybe 15 lbs and added some strength if that would unlock his athleticism

you don't play rugby without being an athlete

tape I seen he is very athletic for his humongous size! I really don’t have a more athletic, bigger comparison? I seen him get skinny through a hole and reach across the field - throw out teeth and bones and eat the QB! Not often, but bet that QB remembers it! Hope he don’t kill KM in practice!

but mostly, don’t think ol can move him from point a to point b against his will! Not o lineman but the entire opposing oline can’t move him when he stays low and digs in!

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Interesting difference of opinion on Fotu between VJ and Harry. Harry says his film review shows that there were "low effort plays" and he didn't always pursue; while in contrast, VJ was very complimentary of Fotu's effort for a big man. Somebody is clearly wrong in their assessment. Hope it's Harry for the Cardinal's sake.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Lucky (Leki) said that once he left rugby back to putting football pads on - he wasn’t scared of anything!
Like this crushing video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Road to the nfl video

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is some video of Fotu in two different games. He looks like garbage. I think this pick is totally about potential and hope.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I really don't get the hate for this pick. We've been very bad against the run recently and he provides something no one else on the D line can. We added about a thousand pounds worth of d lineman this offseason and for Simmons to reach his potential in the front 7 he doesn't need to be having blockers on him right away.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Utahs HC was on 910 talking Fotu

thought that there was still a lot of pass rush updside

said Leki was relatively new to football, learning the position

said that the quickness and ability to be a pass rusher was there, needs refinement of technique --

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
add:

Corey Peters: 6' 3", 335 lbs
This is an area that I am really excited about but it is completely unwarranted so I have kept quiet about.

*irrational fan alert beginning*
The idea of having Jordan Phillips - 6'6" 330lbs and Leki Fotu - 6'5" 335lbs on a defensive line gets me really excited for the ability of Simmons and Hicks to be protected at LB. I know there is little reason to be so optimistic but the size and athleticism in our front 7 could be special.

Big and fast usually works on defense.

*irrational fan alert ending*

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this dude has made a total of 3 plays since he has been here. Legitimately pisses me off how he made it through 2 regimes. Really pisses me off.
I had high hopes for him and Lawrence. But, both have been such a disappointment.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Unfortunately Fotu is one of the worst defensive lineman in the league. As I said on a previous post it was shocking to see him listed as a starter and Lawrence sent to 3rd string and later cut. Lawrence had health issues but I thought he was much better than Fotu.

Right? I was literally driving the Lawrence bandwagon, and have also been a vocal critic of Fotu for a while now.

When they cut Lawrence and installed Fotu as the starter, I was shocked.

One of the least understandable decisions of the Gannon/Rallis defensive plan.

Reactions: PJ1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson