2020 6th round pick is Evan Weaver ILB

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Jesus could you imagine if Patrick Peterson gave that press conference after a loss. Looks like a thug to me. Bad locker room guy

lol
I see a intensity and quite a brutal honesty that's refreshing in these days of political correctness he didn't single out any individual players just the exact same way a coach would do shades of Bellicheck there was no I, always said we as in referring to the entire team also gave the other team credit for outplaying them when was the last time we have heard that

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's always a spot for a stone cold MLB killa.
He's like Singletary or Lambert. Not perfect physical specimens but pure mean effort.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Riddick was playing where he belonged but playing bad competition usually. Liked Weavers highlights better.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea I just hope he doesn’t see the field on defense at all. Hopefully he’ll be a great special teamer

Scouting reports that start with “Not the most athletic, but this guy is a football player! Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Gritty, old school type mentality. Will be a fan favorite”.....ugh. Pretty much translates into something else.

Please stay healthy, Jordan.

I’m glad you guys like the selection though. That’s good.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ive no idea if Weaver can make it, but if Reddick has shown that top speed can be negated by poor instincts or false steps --

should the reverse be true? poor speed can be offset by really good instincts?

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
Dream scenario is he turns out to be something like Zack Thomas.

Most likely though he'll be a serviceable run stuffing backup MLB and good special teams player.

Real good value IF he makes the team considering who we have behind Hicks in terms of depth.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He’s a real gym rat and student of the game. He brings his lunch pale to work every day. A real coach’s son type of player. Very sneaky athlete with high football IQ. Great leader.
Herm Edwards talked glowingly about him. Basically said instincts & will to make plays can't be undervalued. Said he always knows where to be, what hole or gap to hit to make plays. That type of player to me can be of great value. He fell in the draft because he ran a 4.7 at the combine, had he ran a 4.5 he would've more than likely went in the 3rd or 4th round? This kid will be a terror on ST & can most definitely be a backup ILB on running downs. We'll see how he pans out?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yea I just hope he doesn’t see the field on defense at all. Hopefully he’ll be a great special teamer

Scouting reports that start with “Not the most athletic, but this guy is a football player! Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Gritty, old school type mentality. Will be a fan favorite”.....ugh. Pretty much translates into something else.

That’s why I hope we go the FA route hard for ILB. Littleton should be our prime FA Target.

Wait a minute. You wanted an undrafted player (Littleton) in FA and our dude Weaver is more athletic than him (and only costs 700k/year). Sometimes you have to take the analysis one step deeper. Just like Andrew Thomas has slow feet but he was better in 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle than Superman Wirfs. Who got drafted first?

With Weavers instincts, production, and effort...I would expect him to land somewhere in the range of players below.

upload_2020-4-26_14-6-55-png.32061

In fact, Devin White got a 4.17 in the 20 yd shuttle and did worse in the 3 cone than Weaver (White got a 7.07).

Evan had the 3rd best 20 yd shuttle in the 2020 draft and would have been top 4 in 2016, beating out the rest of the group above (except 1 that didn't test).

Devin Bush (last year #10 overall pick) got a 4.23 and 6.93

Ryan Shazier got a 4.21 and 6.98

Chris Borland a 4.27 and a 7.18

Luke Kuechly (similar instincts IMO) ran a 4.58 40, 4.12, and 6.92. All better but not light years better in the last two. .1 second in both

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You wanted an undrafted player (Littleton) in FA and our dude Weaver is more athletic than him (and only costs 700k/year). Don't listen to the talking heads...take the analysis one step deeper. Just like Andrew Thomas has slow feet but he was better in 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle than Superman Wirfs. Who got drafted first?

With Weavers instincts, production, and effort...I would expect him to land somewhere in the range of players below.

upload_2020-4-26_14-6-55-png.32061

In fact, Devin White got a 4.17 in the 20 yd shuttle and did worse in the 3 cone than Weaver (White got a 7.07).

Evan had the 3rd best 20 yd shuttle in the 2020 draft and would have been top 4 in 2016, beating out the rest of the group above (except 1 that didn't test).

Devin Bush (last year #10 overall pick) got a 4.23 and 6.93

Ryan Shazier got a 4.21 and 6.98

Chris Borland a 4.27 and a 7.18

Luke Kuechly (similar instincts IMO) ran a 4.58 40, 4.12, and 6.92. All better but not light years better in the last two. .1 second in both
I think it’s pretty obvious that Weaver’s play speed is a lot slower than every guy you mentioned. I know people love Harry here & one of the first thing he mentioned is that Weaver can’t really cover anyone.

Read all these guys’ scouting reports. You might see something about being raw, but you won’t see anything about lack of athletic ability. We should be aiming for those guys as late picks, not “grrrr this guy is a student of the game. Doesn’t have good athleticism, but loves to hit”-esque 1988 descriptions.

If Kuechly is just a bit more athletic without gear with similar instincts, why was one a top pick & the other didn’t get drafted until the 6th round? Because Kuechly’s play speed was a lot faster.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Read all these guys’ scouting reports. You might see something about being raw, but you won’t see anything about lack of athletic ability.

Don't even get me started about production.

Blake Martinez
You must be registered for see images attach

Joe Schobert

Nick Kwiatkowski

Corey Littleton (undrafted/worse combine results)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't even get me started about production.

Blake Martinez

Joe Schobert

Nick Kwiatkowski

Corey Littleton (undrafted/worse combine results)
I see lack of traits, but nothing about lack of athleticism. Blake Martinez is also bad. I don’t care about all the tackles he made when they were after 8+ yard gains.

I almost admire you digging THIS deep trying to prove me wrong.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I see lack of traits, but nothing about lack of athleticism. Blake Martinez is also bad. I don’t care about all the tackles he made when they were after 8+ yard gains.

I almost admire you digging THIS deep trying to prove me wrong.

I try to back up my opinion with data.

You are just digging in your heels now. If you choose not to acknowledge the data presented...that's on you.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I try to back up my opinion with data.

You are just digging in your heels now. If you choose not to acknowledge the data presented...that's on you.
That’s not accurate data, though.

Also kind of creepy you gotta go back 4 months back in my search history just to falsely prove me wrong.

But hey, you like the guy, I don’t. That’s good for you. You’re a fan. I’m not going to change your opinion. Hopefully he proves you right.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it’s pretty obvious that Weaver’s play speed is a lot slower than every guy you mentioned. I know people love Harry here & one of the first thing he mentioned is that Weaver can’t really cover anyone.

Read all these guys’ scouting reports. You might see something about being raw, but you won’t see anything about lack of athletic ability. We should be aiming for those guys as late picks, not “grrrr this guy is a student of the game. Doesn’t have good athleticism, but loves to hit”-esque 1988 descriptions.

If Kuechly is just a bit more athletic without gear with similar instincts, why was one a top pick & the other didn’t get drafted until the 6th round? Because Kuechly’s play speed was a lot faster.
No that isn't like it was. Kuechly back then was, what Simmons is now.

In 2012 Kuechly was one of the fastest ILB to show up to the combine. 4.7-5 was standard back then.

Burfict for example 5.02
Hightower 4.68
Kendricks 4.56 (the only guy as fast as Kuechly)
Johnson 4.68
Carder 4.69
2013 numbers:
Manti Teo 4.82
Minter 4.81
Alonso 4.74
Klein 4.76
Reddick 4.72
Mosley 4.63
Borland 4.81
Skov 5.02
E Kendricks 4.61
McKinney 4.62
Anthony 4.53
Perryman 4.68
Dawson 4.76

and you see the trend, ILB got faster, not always producing more, but faster because of Kendricks, Kuechly Mosley, and the $LB

But the thumpers were always slow, if Weaver would have been in the 2013 class he might ave been a sure fire draft pick latest in round 3.

Probably Kuechly and Kendricks would have bin drafted in the top 2 rounds this year, but Hightower would have fallen to round 3-4 and Minter, Teo, Alonso, Borland, Skov Perryman, Dawson would have falen to round 5-7.

The NFL changed a bit and only a few teams have a

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this pontificating over a 4.76 40 yards dash. As I said earlier give me a guy with great instincts that runs 4.7 over a guy that doesn't and runs 4.4 any day.

Those instincts and decisiveness give the guy at LEAST a 0.5 seconds advantage.

No backer runs 40 seconds in a straight line anyway and the difference between a 4.76 and a 4.6 over 20 yards it's about 2 inches.

We will see if he does have the instincts or not, but his athleticism is more than fine.

You know, there are people here been saying "Why do we always draft the athletic guys and try change their position. It never works. Why can't we just draft guys who are good at that position".

And some of those same people have a huge ***** over Isaiah Simmons who has all the athleticism and 120 snaps at linebacker at #8, and at the same time are moaning about a guy that has thousands of snaps at LB and led college in tackles being taken at 202. Because he doesn't run sub 4.7. Irony.

Prediction. Simmons never plays linebacker but is an elite strong safety and Weaver starts at LB within 2 years.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The NFL changed a bit.

It has changed a lot.

Power has been phased out. You cannot lay a big hit, you cannot try to put the hurt on another player, things arevway more spread out, etc., etc.

I LOVE this pick, but Weaver is extremely slow for the NFL and he will not be able to cover man to man.

DVontel loathes slow, unathletic players, even when they produce. You are not changing his mind about this player.

Weaver has not produced a thing in the NFL, so right now, you have a hyped up college football player, who was REALLY fun to watch.

Can he translate to the NFL? Is he good enough to over come his extremely poor natural skills?

We will see. I am rooting for him, but for various reasons, not everyone will be. And that is 100% fine. I got players who I just did not want on this team in my time.

In the end, it will come down to one thing, can he over come his lack of speed, we will see.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Also kind of creepy you gotta go back 4 months back in my search history just to falsely prove me wrong.

You did that to yourself. I was discussing that many people on this board wanted Corey Littelton, Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert, and Nick Kwiatkowski here:
There were a lot of people clamoring for these LB free agents this year...take a look at how our guy compares:

And then you have to say this:

Your guy Littleton is worse than Weaver and went undrafted.

I then show you the data just like I did with Andrew Thomas/Wirfs and you say it's not accurate. Where is your data?

That’s not accurate data, though.

Then you say:

Again, I provide the data you referenced that again goes against "your opinion" - Every combine assessment that talks about a lack of physical traits (they aren't talking about size....look for yourself/other than Littleton who was built like a WR).

I can go on and on my friend.

We haven't even discussed production!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It has changed a lot.

Power has been phased out. You cannot lay a big hit, you cannot try to put the hurt on another player, things arevway more spread out, etc., etc.

I LOVE this pick, but Weaver is extremely slow for the NFL and he will not be able to cover man to man.

DVontel loathes slow, unathletic players, even when they produce. You are not changing his mind about this player.

Weaver has not produced a thing in the NFL, so right now, you have a hyped up college football player, who was REALLY fun to watch.

Can he translate to the NFL? Is he good enough to over come his extremely poor natural skills?

We will see. I am rooting for him, but for various reasons, not everyone will be. And that is 100% fine. I got players who I just did not want on this team in my time.

In the end, it will come down to one thing, can he over come his lack of speed, we will see.

He's not slow.

Firstly, 40 yard combine times aren't definitive. You get 2 runs from a 3 point stance. How many inside linebackers run from a 3 point stance? None. And in 2 runs you might not perform your best.

Even if 4.76 is accurate Cardfan pointed out its well withing site of many of the guys people wanted in FA.

One of the best young LB's in the league, Darius Leonard, ran 4.70.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not even sure where this 40 time talk even came from

He just looks slow as hell on the field. Slower than guys with worse 40 times. That’s what matters to me.

@RugbyMuffin made it perfectly clear. I don’t like players like him in this era of football. If you can’t cover a soul man-to-man at all, I don’t want you on the team I root for. Notice how no one here is positively talking about his coverage ability. Folks are just talking about how much they love his mentality & yada yada. Bleh.

Guys like Dre Greenlaw(who the 49ers drafted last year in the 5th) is who we should be aiming for in today’s era, not guys who would only be stars in 1981.

If he’s starting at any point, that says a whole lot about our ILB room than his ability.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not even sure where this 40 time talk even came from

He just looks slow as hell on the field. Slower than guys with worse 40 times. That’s what matters to me.

@RugbyMuffin made it perfectly clear. I don’t like players like him in this era of football. If you can’t cover a soul man-to-man at all, I don’t want you on the team I root for. Notice how no one here is positively talking about his coverage ability. Folks are just talking about how much they love his mentality & yada yada. Bleh.

Guys like Dre Greenlaw(who the 49ers drafted last year in the 5th) is who we should be aiming for in today’s era, not guys who would only be stars in 1981.

If he’s starting at any point, that says a whole lot about our ILB room than his ability.
Man. He never looked slow on the field to me when he was playing ASU. I was kinda surprised at his combine numbers. The many clips I have watched—he never seems slow in them. Good grief he was the nations leading tackler, turtles can’t do that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He's not slow.

One of the best young LB's in the league, Darius Leonard, ran 4.70.

I think he is, and we won't know if that matters till they put on the pads and play football.

Darius Leonard, a player I loved coming out of college, does NOT look anywhere near as slow as Weaver looks on the field.

Its my opinion, so that is about all I can say on it till rhey get out on the field.

Again, I am rooting for this kid 100%, but he is what he is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson