Steve Keim Took Control of His Draft - And He Had a Plan in Place

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Keim did a number of notable things in this draft:

• Recognized defense’s deficiencies and brought in NFL-caliber plays to fill holes
  • Stayed away from small school players
  • Let the draft come to him. Didn’t seem like he was eager to trade up or trade back into rounds. Only had six picks to start.
  • Didn’t give up on any of the three rookie WRs from last season.

I have to second the point on small school players here, it was great seeing a team captain from LSU taken at an area of need where we’ve occasionally reached for small school guys.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I’m very happy to load up on D. I would’ve spent every pick there.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I really liked this draft. I think all will contribute this year or in the near future. To me, the only questions are Weaver and Fotu.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
doesnt hurt

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ain’t fantasy football you don’t just load up on shiny toys.

our offense was actually pretty damn good last year and will only get better but we had the worst defense in the nfl. Everything we’ve done this offseason has been to improve the front 7 and our offensive line

I love it
Hell, if we had even an average defense last year we would've seriously flirted with the playoffs.

I couldn't have imagined a better influx of talent into this defense in my wildest dreams. Cannot wait to see them play!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ain’t fantasy football you don’t just load up on shiny toys.

our offense was actually pretty damn good last year and will only get better but we had the worst defense in the nfl. Everything we’ve done this offseason has been to improve the front 7 and our offensive line

I love it
Hell, if we had even an average defense last year we would've seriously flirted with the playoffs.

I couldn't have imagined a better influx of talent into this defense in my wildest dreams. Cannot wait to see them play!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
With the increase in talent on Defense Vance Joseph should be firmly on the hot seat if they don’t improve to a middle tier defense this year.

I enjoyed the draft, grades are silly this early but it is always good to see the team get positive reviews.
I do not feel VJ is feeling any heat right now... I bet he's ecstatic with the draft and free agency :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched an off the grid interview with Evan Weaver on you tube.

He is going to become a fan favorite. They asked him when was the first time he thought about playing in the nfl.

He said in first grade he told his teacher he didn’t have to learn how to read. She asked him why. He told her because he was going to play in the nfl.

She said aren’t you going to need to know how to read your contract? He said nope. My mother’s a lawyer.

He laughed and said he made it pass that hurdle.

Love how Kiem said some guys you have to tell them sic em’ and some guys you have to say Whoa. Weaver is the latter.

Ask about having to wait so long to get drafted. He said it was no problem for him but it will be for 31 other teams.

Last edited:

shippy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been on this board for many years and really enjoy reading and following the posters on this board.I love the passion on here. This team has drastically changed this off season. We have added by my count 8 new faces just on defense. Simmons, Fotu, Lawrence, Weaver, Campbell, Phillips, Kennard, and Alford ( who didn't play a down last year ). Our defense was terrible last year. 7 of these players are on the front end of the defense. In all my years of following this team, I can't recall this many new faces. It seems like year after year this board has been clamoring to build the trenches. I realize that even though on paper this looks very encouraging, it has to transition to the field, but I am very encouraged by what the Cards have done.
We were not to bad last year on offense and I think that we will only get better this year. We will have 5 new faces on offense. Hopkins, (which is huge) Jones, Benjamin, Gilbert, And Garcia ( i can't remember if he played last year ). I am looking very forward to the season this year. GO CARDS

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the draft but every year we say something similar and are left disappointed.

We all did the same last year and outside Kyler nobody did anything.

Murphy was poor. Isabella barely played. Allen did nothing and got injured. Etc etc

So I like the picks at face value but not going to get too excited about anyone other than Simmons until the season starts.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would not worry abut Fotu, in a year he will be our best DL with the tutoring of Brentson and learning to rush the passer. I had him as 1st pick in the 4th round from the beginning. It's nice to have a young and talented DL.

welcome to the board

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like the draft but every year we say something similar and are left disappointed.

We all did the same last year and outside Kyler nobody did anything.

Murphy was poor. Isabella barely played. Allen did nothing and got injured. Etc etc

So I like the picks at face value but not going to get too excited about anyone other than Simmons until the season starts.
I personally haven't felt this good about our picks in half a decade.