Jonesing on Jones

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The first thing that’s obvious to me is that Keim is really getting his money’s worth from selling his soul to the Devil. I guess I slipped into a pattern of religious metaphors because what has happened has stunned me. I would have put the chance of Simmons falling to the Cards at 10%. After pick 2, every subsequent team could have used him. Several teams were willing to trade their pick, but no team stepped up to grab him. There will be years of regret.

Then along came Jones. Being honest I didn’t pay much attention until the middle of round 2. Someone posted elsewhere they did the same thing. Finally I got curious as to who was left. I was surprised but not shocked to see Cleveland and Jones still on the board. I recalled having advocated a round 1 trade if Simmons were gone. My target was Cleveland with Jones being the fallback. I quickly did the math that told me more than 20 people would have to pass on them to get to the Cards. Later my heart sank when Cleveland was ripped from the board.

Social distancing has already made time slow to a surreal level but I swear it now seemed to come to a near total halt. As the picks crawled across the CBS Draft-tracker screen I noticed their teams’ needs pop ups indicated everyone seemed to need OL help. Nonetheless pick by pick passed and Jones remained atop the Best Available list. When round 3 began I posted, “move up to get Jones.” However, just like in round 1, Jones slid to the Cards. So what did they get?

In Jones they got a solid athlete who is familiar with the traditional tackle role in an Air Raid offense. He is especially adept at pass blocking, using his outstanding agility to maximum effect. He is balanced when on the move displaying excellent hip flexibility. Brugler labeled him, “comfortable climbing, cutting and engaging at the second level.” He mirrors effectively using his hands, including a solid punch, to frustrate rushers. Jones allowed only 1 sack his senior season and no QB hits. SI noted, “Pro Football Focus gave him a 93.2 grade for his phenomenal season, the highest grade ever given to a collegiate offensive tackle.” He does lack big time core power which may present some issues when anchoring in the NFL against bull rushers.

His run blocking is not as strong as his pass blocking primarily because of this lack of core strength. He typically doesn’t maul defenders, but he does engage them aggressively. He needs training on advanced technique like hand placement. He often lunges, getting himself off balance. Part of the issue is taking bad routes to targets. Incredibly he had to play for 5 different line coaches in his 4 years at Houston. He has a right to be confused. Still Jones showed significant improvement in his skills culminating in an outstanding senior year. I’m sure this excites Cardinal coaches as he clearly has a huge upside. An example of potential improvement is his lack of leveraged positioning. Once he learns how to better use leverage his effectiveness will take a major step forward. He’s simply blocking the hard way. It’s a tribute to his tenacity he is as effective as he is.

Perhaps Sports Illustrated summed him up best, “Jones is very much a raw prospect from a technique standpoint, but his sheer ability alone should make him a serviceable starter from Day 1. If a coaching staff can refine his technique and teach him the nuances of the position, then his ceiling is through the roof. Jones’ most likely outcome is being a solid starter for years to come, but he could be a perennial Pro Bowler if everything breaks right.”

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
At the very minimum:

i love the fact that unlike last year at this time, the team isnt one OT injury away from being forced into making a waiver claim to find a starter

i dont know if the Cards have a really good o line, but its capable one and it seems like there is decent depth.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At the very minimum:

i love the fact that unlike last year at this time, the team isnt one OT injury away from being forced into making a waiver claim to find a starter

i dont know if the Cards have a really good o line, but its capable one and it seems like there is decent depth.

Several times during poor Josh Rosens year here we had to call random guys literally off their couch to have them come in and start a game for us later that week. It was absurd. Depth on the O Line is key for continuity.

Do you all envision Jones as a long term RT then? Humphries was just paid to be the LT for the next handful of years, and he's actually coming into his own nicely, just hitting his prime.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I was thinking that to begin Josh can be used as a TE in goal line situations.

Maybe they can expand his role some from there. Have him line up in the 12 schemes at times. Would be good in play action and an extra blocking.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I was thinking that to begin Josh can be used as a TE in goal line situations.

Maybe they can expand his role some from there. Have him line up in the 12 schemes at times. Would be good in play action and an extra blocking.
He was a fine basketball player.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kugler can do wonders with this kid. He had to be stoked as hell when he was there for us.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
P.F.F rated the 10 biggest draft steals. Jones was one. They said,
“We've never seen a better non-Power 5 tackle at Pro Football Focus. Seriously. His 93.4 overall grade last season shattered the previous PFF record, and he allowed all of two pressures for the entire season. Teams chased offensive tackles with more perceived "upside" early in the draft, but Jones simply dominated every player he faced last season. That was the case even in the week of practices at the Senior Bowl, where he earned the highest grade in the pass-blocking one-on-ones.

Expect Jones' career path to follow that of former Western Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Moton. Similarly, Moton dominated both in his senior season and at the Senior Bowl before falling to the end of the second round. Now he has had back-to-back seasons with top-15 pass-blocking grades. Jones looks like a starter from day one at guard or tackle for Arizona with a Moton-esque future ahead.”

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't see Taylor Moton at all in style of play.

Someone else mentioned Terron Armstead, so I went back and watched him in college. Jones and Armstead are clones (style of play).

Can't wait to see what Kugler can do with this guy.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be great to finally have a stud offensive lineman on the Cardinals?

Have we had any since the Dierdorf - Dobler days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the very minimum:

This is easily the best line, top to bottom this team has had since moving to AZ.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the very minimum:

This is easily the best line, top to bottom this team has had since moving to AZ.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There were attempts in the past that looked good on paper but didn't necessarily pan out. The line that moved here from St Louis, with Luis Sharpe and Tootie Robbins and such was pretty good. They spent some first round picks and big FA acquisitions building the Big Red Line in the early 2000's, with LJ Shelton, Anthony Clement, Leonard Davis, picked up Mike Gruttaduria, but somehow it didn't work out.
Staying healthy, this line looks good right now.

Last edited: