2020 6th round pick is Evan Weaver ILB

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kevin Minter ish.

His instincts need to be off the charts. And he needs a WILB like Simmons to accentuate his positives.

decent comp (Weaver a better athlete, actually)

minter was not good for us b/c he played out of position; he sucked at run and chase

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you like Gardeck, you’ll probably like Weaver, though Gardeck is faster. I agree with those who say Weaver’s not an impressive athlete. Weaver is a high effort guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder. He’s an overachiever who’s had to fight for everything he’s gotten. He fairly one dimensional, since he really can’t cover anyone. Even in zone his drop isn’t deep enough. He works so hard it’s difficult to imagine him not making the roster, but guys like Gardeck will make it tough. Weaver moves downhill well and is a tackling machine but there’s an old saying, “You’ve got to catch ‘em to tackle ‘em.” In the NFL that will be a challenge. The Cards are at the point of the draft where most players will be role players. This guy is fairly typical. I just worry if he’s really a step up from what they have. It’s almost sad but some excellent college players find their game doesn’t translate to the NFL. However, it’s important to keep in mind a team never has too many high effort players in camp. Of course this year the lack of camp will make it extra tough on players like Weaver.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
decent comp (Weaver a better athlete, actually)

minter was not good for us b/c he played out of position; he sucked at run and chase

He is still in the league, so if this guy matches him it wouldn't be that bad compared with the rest of our recent 6th rounders.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you wouldn't take Ray Lewis today then. Only a 4.6 forty time.

The difference between 4.6 and 4.76 is massive.

Think about the difference between a corner who runs a 4.4 and one that is 4.56.
One can stay with receivers, the other is routinely beaten and too slow for the nfl.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Think about the difference between a corner who runs a 4.4 and one that is 4.56.
One can stay with receivers, the other is routinely beaten and too slow for the nfl.
Yea, that’s just downright awful logic.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score

You mean like Dick Sherman??? He had made out pretty well in the league.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Watch him make the Pro-Bowl as a special teamer. Dude is going to rack up tackles, no matter where he is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Exactly.

The later rounds is where you go for guys with upside.

He has none.

Not that bad I guess. Just a 6th rounder.
Meh...he has really good instincts. I also think it is important to have a guy who can play special teams and be a legit backup to Hicks. Agree that it is not a sexy pick at all but he fills a roster spot and should stick which matters.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is a great pick this late in the draft. Super tough, non stop motor, most tackles of any LB in the country.

If you are asking me who has more upside as a backup MLB and special teamer, I will take Weaver over Joe Walker or Dennis Gardeck all day long.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually really like this pick, something tells me he is the sleeper in this draft. He may not look like an athlete but get him defined and a few pounds lighter in a workout programme and he could be better. He is hungry and aggressive.

An enforcer over the middle, make people pay on those runs up the middle and the shallow crossing routes
stronger and faster ... and you have Kuechly XD

I think he fits as a back up and if he really can get a bit faster and stronger, that would help him for the long run.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a great pick this late in the draft. Super tough, non stop motor, most tackles of any LB in the country.

If you are asking me who has more upside as a backup MLB and special teamer, I will take Weaver over Joe Walker or Dennis Gardeck all day long.
Yeah, people have to remember who we had on the field last year when you analyze this pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting pick, incredibly productive college player but appears to be physically maxed out, is probably undersized, and if he bulks up, will slow down. But again, incredibly productive player. Worth a look, he's basically the exact opposite of Reddick who was a good athlete but so lacking in instincts that he's always taking false steps or slow off the mark, Weaver isn't a great athlete but at least in college, no false steps, always quick to get to the play because of his instincts. Weaver ran a 4.76, Reddick ran a 4.52, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Weaver is a better ILB than Reddick was.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m okay with pick. Guys I wanted we’re already gone. More upset with Fotu pick, should have went with his teammate Anae or Weaver IMO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched an off the grid interview with Evan Weaver on you tube.

He is going to become a fan favorite. They asked him when was the he first time he thought about playing in the nfl.

He said in first grade he told his teacher he didn’t have to learn how to read. She asked him why. He told her because he was going to play in the nfl.

She said aren’t you going to need to know how to read your contract? He said nope. My mother’s a lawyer.

He laughed and said he made it pass that hurdle.

Love how Kiem said some guys you have to tell them sic em’ and some guys you have to say Whoa. Weaver is the latter.

Ask about having to wait so long to get drafted. He said it was no problem for him but it will be for 31 other teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean like Dick Sherman??? He had made out pretty well in the league.

well he gets by in zone, in man to man He needs a 10 yard cushion.

I get your point but he still does get beat by speed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson