2020 round 4B pick is Rashard Lawrence DT

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wanted Biadasz here or some help at RB. More DL depth never hurts. We were weak and had people playing that never should have been.

wkycardsfan

Rookie
Reaction score
Solid depth guy. Would have loved to have taken Anae with 1 of these picks but both guys taken should fill a role.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First pick I feel disappointed in. Would have liked Biadasz or Benjamin. By the time we pick in the 6th, I firmly don't believe there will be any useful RBs. Looks like we're riding with Cole and Gaillard at C.

Oh well, can't hit em all.
RB is far down the list of need. Drake is perfectly good enough to carry the load. Chase showed prior to his hamstring that he is a plenty capable back up. Good RBs can be found as Rookie FA. Or very late rounds. Too much teeth grinding over this.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First pick I feel disappointed in. Would have liked Biadasz or Benjamin. By the time we pick in the 6th, I firmly don't believe there will be any useful RBs. Looks like we're riding with Cole and Gaillard at C.

Right. We missed by picking a guy with a motor, who penetrates and who has the traits of a 3-4 D-end.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

A lot of injury concerns about badass IMO. He's a big risk about that and his play, benefited by have strong players next to him. I will say with all the injuries he played every Saturday.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh

But I understand and I like. We clearly have a plan in place. Everything we have done this offseason is build the trenches

I’m so good with that.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards had a worst run defense in the NFL last year. So getting another big DL makes sense. He is some analysis on Richard Lawrence LSU by CBS Sports:

Plays with dog mentality and is ready to turn any rep into a street fight if he needs to. Lawrence's leadership and toughness stand out on the defensive side of the ball. He plays with pain and never shortchanges teammates in the effort department. He needs to play with better control of his feet and motor to improve consistency and balance at the point of attack. He can get some pocket push going from time to time but is likely to come off the field on passing downs. If his medicals check out, he could become a solid rotational defensive lineman.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
He’s hurt a lot!

LSU made a big signing when keeping this Monroe native in-state as one of the top 20 recruits in the country. Lawrence flashed as a freshman, playing in nine games and sacking Louisville's Heisman Trophy winning-quarterback Lamar Jackson in the Citrus Bowl. Lawrence was a team captain as a sophomore, missing time with ankle injuries but starting 10 games, including the final eight (32 tackles, 3.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks). He started all 13 games as a junior (54 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, three pass breakups) and finished the year on a high note as the Fiesta Bowl Defensive Player of the Game with four tackles for loss (two sacks) in the team's win over UCF. Lawrence missed spring drills in 2019 after having surgery on his right knee. He wound up playing in 12 games (11 starts) his senior season, missing time due to an ankle injury but still earning second-team All-SEC notice after posting 28 tackles, six for loss, 2.5 sacks, and three pass breakups during the Tigers' national championship campaign.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Biadasz is about stiff as all hell. Doesn’t fit our blocking scheme at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals have certainly addressed defense in the draft. Rashard Lawrence looks to be another good piece for the defensive line.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
IMO he’s much better than Fotu. He likely dropped because he has weak ankles. He has a great motor and always plays to the whistle. A DE, he has solid technique but can learn more. He uses his hands well to shed would be blockers. He can get overly aggressive and run himself out of plays. He’s not a natural knee bender and he can get too upright. Still he seems to be very disruptive. Injuries derailed some of his senior year, just when he played his best football in 2018. A rare 3 year captain he’s another player of high character with strong leadership skills. This is a solid pick at this level of the draft. If he can stay healthy I think he’s a better player than Allen.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Solid pick. We needed d-line depth in the worst way. We had been throwing in other teams cast offs in there to plug holes and it showed.

Now with Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence we have a solid group.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
RB is far down the list of need. Drake is perfectly good enough to carry the load. Chase showed prior to his hamstring that he is a plenty capable back up. Good RBs can be found as Rookie FA. Or very late rounds. Too much teeth grinding over this.

Cards like to rotate the Dline as well to stay fresh, they were in need of Dline, they have Rbs and Shipley will be back after draft.

The Dline was needing bodies big time

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
They’re making the necessary investments right now. Sorry for all of the people that wanted RB’s and receivers but this team needed a young influx of talent on the line.
I’m not expecting all of the draft picks to be major contributors but it would be nice if one of them develops into a starting player who’s worthy of a 2nd contract. Hopefully Allen is healthy and ready to contribute.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There are very few rookie FA backs that amount to anything year to year.

Drake has never in his pro or college career shown that he can carry the load. We sure can hope. Chase has had one good game. Our 3rd RBs are nobodies.

I'm more concerned about past this year. Do we really want to sign Drake (or any FA) long-term? He'll be 27. Do we trust Chase Edmonds to start? Do we want a rookie in Kyler's optimal window to win a Super Bowl?

I'm complaining for the sake of it at this point, but blah. I don't like that outlook. Let's hope Drake proves me wrong or we get the next Philip Lindsay.

Right. We missed by picking a guy with a motor, who penetrates and who has the traits of a 3-4 D-end.
I didn't so much mean it's an overall team miss, just a miss in terms of who I liked.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solid pick. We needed d-line depth in the worst way. We had been throwing in other teams cast offs in there to plug holes and it showed.

Now with Peters, Phillips, Allen, Fotu, Lawrence we have a solid group.

ADD:
J. Bullard (DE)
M. Dogbe (DE/DT)
T. Coley (DT)
M. Brown (NT)
L. Johnson (DE)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA