2020 3rd round pick is Josh Jones T

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at this o-line. Versatility is the key.

Cole, Galliard, Garcia are all capable to play center or guard.
Humphries, Gilbert, Murray, Jones at tackle
Pugh and sweezy at guard and Pugh can move to RT in an emergency.
It appears Jones can move to guard.

I wouldn’t be mad if we took a guard or center in round 4. Baidasz makes a whole lot of sense. I think he can play guard too.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Grade: A. Huge steal here for Arizona. Jones' film is incredibly boring, which is good. Hand work and balance are awesome. Plays with quality anchor because of how he sinks his hips. Strong upper half. Good athlete. Ideal right tackle for Kyler Murray.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre Jr. of the Suns gives his stamp of approval. It's all good!

From an azcentral article:

It wasn't just a show of support for another Arizona athlete; Oubre and Jones were teammates at George Bush High School in Richmond, Texas. They played basketball together, a career path that worked out slightly better for Oubre.

"We did, we did (play together)," Jones said excitedly. "My sophomore year of high school, my first year at Bush, it was his junior year and we were on the same basketball team. We went all the way to the regional finals where we played the Harrison twins.

"We had a great team that year, we had a good relationship when he was here at Bush. And yeah, I'm happy that he's a big thing down there in Phoenix, man. It's exciting."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...welcome-ot-josh-jones-after-draft/3024993001/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what happened to Bobby Massie when he was drafted.

He dropped significantly in the draft because "he was just a right tackle". I understand that the right tackle position is seen as a lesser position.

BUT WHEN YOU NEED A RIGHT TACKLE THEN YOU DRAFT ONE!!!!!

It boggles my mind how the teams in the NFL over think this stuff.

When we drafted Massie in the 4th, I was very happy, and Massie went on to have a good career as a right tackle. A lot of teams would have liked Massie on thier team in hindsight.

So Jones is a well rated right tackle prospect, and we got him in the 3rd, when he could have easily have gone in the 2nd.

If history repeats itself and Jones is "a round better" than Massie? We will be extremely happy with tjis pick when sll is said and done.

This is the anti-Keim pick. The Cardinals seem to always over think rhe draft, and this pick they let the rest of the league overvthink, and took the easy, and obvious pick.

So while it seems easy and obvious....that is not what always happens.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

He's a LEFT TACKLE!

Never played a down at right tackle.

That said - I'm sure they'll see if they can turn him into a Massie type on the right side.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He allowed 18 total pressures over the past three seasons. He was my OT4.

I'm not a fan of PFF, but he received the highest rated non-major conference tackle grade of all time last season. FOUR PRESSURES.

He also played in a similar offense to what the Cardinals do.

He wont have to play right away, and with DJ Humphries, Justin Murray, Marcus Gilbert, and Joshua Miles, the Cardinals have depth and youth on the offensive line. Jones and Miles can develop a little bit. It's literally the best I've the tackle room look on the Cardinals.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

He wont have to play right away, and with DJ Humphries, Justin Murray, Marcus Gilbert, and Joshua Miles, the Cardinals have depth and youth on the offensive line. Jones and Miles can develop a little bit. It's literally the best I've the tackle room look on the Cardinals.

Who were you top 5 OT's?

Agreed on OT group. I wouldn't discount what the team thinks of Miles (to your point). Not sure if they see him strictly at T or if he can play G (or both).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Who were you top 5 OT's?

Agreed on OT group. I wouldn't discount what the team thinks of Miles (to your point). Not sure if they see him strictly at T or if he can play G (or both).

Wills, Becton, Wirfs, and then Thomas.

I look at future potential vs current production vs fit. Thomas is a LT, and the Cards need a RT. Wills was tailor made. Becton and Wirfs have monster potential.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of PFF, but he received the highest rated non-major conference tackle grade of all time last season. FOUR PRESSURES.

He also played in a similar offense to what the Cardinals do.

Poor Brett Toth...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing pick!!! Had 93 grade!! Only thing holding him back age and his technique which can be coached

Amazing steal in 3rd looking forward to 4th

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-Draft Analysis

Jones is a team captain and four-year starter at left tackle. He lacks ideal length for an offensive tackle and some teams could project him at guard, but his tape suggests he'll overcome that deficiency and develop into a starting tackle. He's a good pass-blocker with solid body control and balance. He flashes the ability to move defenders off the ball and excels at climbing to the second level in the run game. -- Steve Muench

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/teams

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we quit the Massie comps?

Massie was a revolving door and a penalty magnet. Then a drunk.

He wasn't remotely good until he left here. He gave up something like 27 sacks in 4 seasons.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He’s never played RT so it will be an adjustment. I love his LT potential if something happens to Humphries.

I would bring him along as a LT. We have Gilbert and Murray at RT...and DJ has only ever played a full season once. If Jones ends up being a solid LT we can dump DJ after 2 years.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I would bring him along as a LT. We have Gilbert and Murray at RT...and DJ has only ever played a full season once. If Jones ends up being a solid LT we can dump DJ after 2 years.
I'll go out on a limb here and say he'll never be as good as hump is right now as a LT. I also will say I think he has not reached his ceiling yet. When healthy I believe he is a top 10 LT.

Now that I said that I think that Jones will be a better RT than hump ever was might be right now. And if he can't handle RT he'll be a hell of guard.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I should have also said that's not a knock on Jones either. I think hump is underrated around these parts but only these parts. He is projecting to be just what the experts said when he was drafted. Immature project with a very high ceiling.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am trying to get a bead on this guy. The scouting reports seem to say opposite things. They say he is a high floor low ceiling guy. Then they say he is raw and needs development. Those seem contradictory to me.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am trying to get a bead on this guy. The scouting reports seem to say opposite things. They say he is a high floor low ceiling guy. Then they say he is raw and needs development. Those seem contradictory to me.

anyone saying his ceiling is low is dumb

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson