Simmons vs Bucannon

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Former scout John Middlekauff said that around the league people view Simmons as a Dime LB...

Said its hard to build a defense around that. Lets hope his sources are wrong.

I think that approach is backwards, you build your defense and then use your most versatile players to take any your opponents particular strengths

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that approach is backwards, you build your defense and then use your most versatile players to take any your opponents particular strengths
He needs a “home” position which is probably safety or wsilb and then switch out of that on occasion.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How does this answer Brian's question?

If you watch their play in college, they were asked to do different things, and Bucannon wasn't tasked with LB duties, Simmons was and at multiple positions.

And no one expected Bucannon to play where he did, he'll, they even made up a name for it, $LB.

There really isn't anything you can use to compare the two playing ILB in the NFL right now.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It might make sense (or not) to play IS at SS. If that happens I'd consider IS and Budda Baker to be one of the League's strongest safety tandems. But, like they say that decision is well above my pay grade. Bottom line, I'm excited. Very excited.

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We ruined Bucs career simple as that. We played him out of position and in doing so forced him to completely change his body type. The dude would have been a good box safety which is what we should have been drafting him for. There is no comparison to Simmons who is actually big enough to play LB but athletic enough to play just about anywhere else as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2020/futures-clemson-lb-isaiah-simmons

I feel like people mis-remember Washington. He got a lot of sacks, but he wasn’t great in coverage and he frequently struggled to get through trash in the middle.

I think people will be frustrated that Simmons will be better playing backward than forward (the opposite of Washington), but I think he could be evolutionary Karlos Dansby/Thomas Davis.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really didn't get to watch much college ball this year (first time in my adult life). I was busy coaching my son's 13U travel team.

So my question is: How is Simmons any different than Bucannon was? i.e Jack-of-all-trades master of none?

I get that Simmons is 2 inches taller and about 15lbs heavier but when Bucannon played in the box it was a disaster. Lineman just swallowed him up.

How will it be any different with Simmons?

I mean, did Keim just use a first round pick on a guy who can cover Tight Ends?

Thanks in advance.
Does Buc run 4.39?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I really didn't get to watch much college ball this year (first time in my adult life). I was busy coaching my son's 13U travel team.

So my question is: How is Simmons any different than Bucannon was? i.e Jack-of-all-trades master of none?

I get that Simmons is 2 inches taller and about 15lbs heavier but when Bucannon played in the box it was a disaster. Lineman just swallowed him up.

How will it be any different with Simmons?

I mean, did Keim just use a first round pick on a guy who can cover Tight Ends?

Thanks in advance.
As for TEs? YES!!!!!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Simmons is the most athletic linebacker we’ve had since Daryl Washington, and is probably even more athletic.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Simmons is the most athletic linebacker we’ve had since Daryl Washington, and is probably even more athletic.[/QUOTE

This.
DW is a lot better comp than Buc. This team has been missing DW really bad ever since he's been gone and they just picked a way better version in Simmons.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Stay with me on this one...but remember when Seth Joyner was in AZ and played all over the defense, because of need/injuries? I think Simmons is next generation Joyner...Bigger, faster, stronger...and I hope Simmons can bring a similar attitude (not sure if it's in him) that Joyner had.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoynSe00.htm

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
At least for 2020, I have to think this is the best personnel grouping usage with Simmons.

BASE
DE: Jordan Phillips
NT: Corey Peters
DE: Zach Allen

OLB: Chandler Jones
ILB: Jordan Hicks
ILB: Devondre Campbell
OLB: Devon Kennard

CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Byron Murphy
S: Budda Baker
S: Isaiah Simmons

SUB
DE: Chandler Jones
DT: Jordan Phillips
DT: Corey Peters
DE: Devondre Campbell

LB: Jordan Hicks
LB: Isaiah Simmons

CB: Robert Alford
S: Jalen Thompson

This gives Simmons a platform to at least build off of. It keeps him clean and allows him to do what he did the most of in college, play in space and run to the ball. He will be obviously used to a greater degree as he becomes more comfortable in the scheme.

Change my mind.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
We ruined Bucs career simple as that. We played him out of position and in doing so forced him to completely change his body type. The dude would have been a good box safety which is what we should have been drafting him for. There is no comparison to Simmons who is actually big enough to play LB but athletic enough to play just about anywhere else as well.
Did they? It's possible that they found out he could not cover anyone on the field, so they transitioned him to fit the defense. Not saying this is true just one thing I have always pondered. I had my doubts about his cover skills when he was drafted.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
At least for 2020, I have to think this is the best personnel grouping usage with Simmons.

BASE
DE: Jordan Phillips
NT: Corey Peters
DE: Zach Allen

OLB: Chandler Jones
ILB: Jordan Hicks
ILB: Devondre Campbell
OLB: Devon Kennard

S: Isaiah Simmons

SUB
DE: Chandler Jones
DT: Jordan Phillips
DT: Corey Peters
DE: Devondre Campbell

LB: Jordan Hicks
LB: Isaiah Simmons

CB: Robert Alford
S: Jalen Thompson

This gives Simmons a platform to at least build off of. It keeps him clean and allows him to do what he did the most of in college, play in space and run to the ball. He will be obviously used to a greater degree as he becomes more comfortable in the scheme.

Change my mind.

I think that'll be the case for most of the season, but hopefully Simmons can start pushing Campbell off the field pretty quickly.

I think Alford beats out Murphy easily.

I also have real doubts about Baker the further he's playing from the line of scrimmage.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that'll be the case for most of the season, but hopefully Simmons can start pushing Campbell off the field pretty quickly.

I think Alford beats out Murphy easily.

I also have real doubts about Baker the further he's playing from the line of scrimmage.

Budda showed excitement for this pick but unless we primarily make Simmons an ILB, he could be taking bakers job permanently was my thought.

I dont know enough about the kid to make a position prediction. I know ILB is our greater need but it sounds like he could play the budda/honey badger role of roaming mid field defender, cover TEs, etc.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons will make a impact buccannon won't :)

Still absolutely shock we got him!!!

And 4.39 holy crap that is cb speed

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did they? It's possible that they found out he could not cover anyone on the field, so they transitioned him to fit the defense. Not saying this is true just one thing I have always pondered. I had my doubts about his cover skills when he was drafted.

he had 15ints in college they ask him to gain weight and play LB right off the bat after losing both LB’s in the off season

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will see numerous packages .

2-5-4
3-4-4
4-3
3-5-3

Every one of those packages will enable Simmons to fit in somewhere. This is going to be fun.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
If you watch their play in college, they were asked to do different things, and Bucannon wasn't tasked with LB duties, Simmons was and at multiple positions.

And no one expected Bucannon to play where he did, he'll, they even made up a name for it, $LB.

There really isn't anything you can use to compare the two playing ILB in the NFL right now.

Thanks. So is he projected to be an ILB, OLB, Strong Safety, or something else? I think playing him at different positions early in his career is going to be trouble. If we get him used to playing a set position, at least early, what position do you think he'll play?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks. So is he projected to be an ILB, OLB, Strong Safety, or something else? I think playing him at different positions early in his career is going to be trouble. If we get him used to playing a set position, at least early, what position do you think he'll play?

Personally I think ILB to start/learn and flex him around. Many other posters have far more valid opinions than mine though :)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Buca
Bucannon was best defensive player on a Washington State team that went 3-9. He's 30 pounds lighter and slower.

Simmons is a national champion and winner of the Butkis award.

There are insurmountable differences between the two.
Bucannon played at Washington I think you meant to say?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bucc was pretty good at first. Then offenses adjusted to him and he was just too undersized. I don’t give him crap. That was the Cards doing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave