Simmons vs Bucannon

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I really didn't get to watch much college ball this year (first time in my adult life). I was busy coaching my son's 13U travel team.

So my question is: How is Simmons any different than Bucannon was? i.e Jack-of-all-trades master of none?

I get that Simmons is 2 inches taller and about 15lbs heavier but when Bucannon played in the box it was a disaster. Lineman just swallowed him up.

How will it be any different with Simmons?

I mean, did Keim just use a first round pick on a guy who can cover Tight Ends?

Thanks in advance.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Noooooooooooo comparison

Simmons has more talent in his pinky toe than Buc had in his whole body lol

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
There is no comparison.

Bucannon was drafted to be a hard hitting safety, not an ILB, and it showed.

Bucannon was best defensive player on a Washington State team that went 3-9. He's 30 pounds lighter and slower.

Simmons is a national champion and winner of the Butkis award.

There are insurmountable differences between the two.

Buccanon was small and unexplosive

Thanks, I just never saw Simmons play. Was busy traveling all over on weekends. Only saw what I could catch on the tube in some restaurant. That and a lot of Boise St games.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not even in the same hemisphere athletically.

And you're kinda being revisionist historian on Buc, he was a starter on some pretty good defenses. If we drafted a bigger and significantly more athletic version of him not like it's a terrible thing. Especially when the game now requires more jack of all trade defenders than it did in 2015.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
First the size differential is extreme:

buc: 6’1 211lbs
Simmons: 6’4 238
so it’s 3 inches and 27lbs

speed differential as well:

buc: 4.49
Simmons: 4.39

and play style:

buc: no cover skills
Simmons: played the majority of snaps in the slot - excellent cover skills

in other words, while buc was touted as this new versatile $backer, Simmons is the desired evolution fully realized. Very little in terms of comparison leading up to their initial nfl snap.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really didn't get to watch much college ball this year (first time in my adult life). I was busy coaching my son's 13U travel team.

So my question is: How is Simmons any different than Bucannon was? i.e Jack-of-all-trades master of none?

I get that Simmons is 2 inches taller and about 15lbs heavier but when Bucannon played in the box it was a disaster. Lineman just swallowed him up.

Thanks in advance.

BA ruined Bucannon. I’ll say that till the end. He was a great SS in college(348 tackles and 15 INT) then we found ourselves without any linebackers Dansby left us and Washington got suspended.

Bucannon played his heart out but he was way to small to be doing what they asked him to. He was a blown up 220.

Simmons is huge 6’4 5/8 and 240. His instincts are elite he can see plays coming and be there before the play develops. This is what separates him. He’s off the charts athletic. Blitz/cover/spy he does everything at a very high level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

BA ruined Bucannon. I’ll say that till the end. He was a great SS in college(348 tackles and 15 INT) then we found ourselves without any linebackers Dansby left us and Washington got suspended.

Bucannon played his heart out but he was way to small to be doing what they asked him to. He was a blown up 220.

Simmons is huge 6’4 5/8 and 240. His instincts are elite he can see plays coming and be there before the play develops. This is what separates him. He’s off the charts athletic. Blitz/cover/spy he does everything at a very high level.

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

and play style:

in other words, while buc was touted as this new versatile $backer, Simmons is the desired evolution fully realized. Very little in terms of comparison leading up to their initial nfl snap.

:raccoon:

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

and play style:

holy moly can't believe buccannon ran a 4.49 he played like a 4.7 guy.

Instincts is no.1 for linebackers.

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No he wasn't ruined by anybody.

Was just massive reach by Keim time for an average player.

GUY was projected round 4-5 pick LMAO http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/deone-bucannon?id=2543769

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
holy moly can't believe buccannon ran a 4.49 he played like a 4.7 guy.

Instincts is no.1 for linebackers.
Yup I was surprised when I looked up his college timing. He had relatively good movement but never seemed a 4.49 guy to me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No he wasn't ruined by anybody.

Was just massive reach by Keim time for an average player.

GUY was projected round 4-5 pick LMAO http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/deone-bucannon?id=2543769

i have no idea what that is but he was projected as a first rounder by pretty much everybody and when he was drafted all the guys on TV loved the pick as the replacement for Adrian Wilson

nobody on earth had him as a 4th or 5th round pick just do some research even dig up his draft day on this board.

please know what your talking about at least a little

https://www.azcardinals.com/video/cardinals-select-deone-bucannon-no-27-12975489

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i have no idea what that is but he was projected as a first rounder by pretty much everybody and when he was drafted all the guys on TV loved the pick as the replacement for Adrian Wilson

nobody on earth had him as a 4th or 5th round pick just do some research even dig up his draft day on this board.

He wasn’t a 4th or 5th, but he wasn’t consensus 1st rounder. He was a late riser and considered a 1st/2nd straddle. Many in here thought he was a reach. Not a huge one, but a reach.

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

just watch the film bro. He was an average talent there was nothing special about him LMAO.

Even these sites say he was late day 2 - early day 3 pick.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2013/1...ng-report-deone-bucannon-fs-washington-state/

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dbucannon.php

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just watch the film bro. He was an average talent there was nothing special about him LMAO.

Even these sites say he was late day 2 - early day 3 pick.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2013/1...ng-report-deone-bucannon-fs-washington-state/

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dbucannon.php

what’s the end game? I just posted ESPN his draft day coverage. With coaches and players saying it was a great pick

you really want to argue about a guy who hasn’t been on our team in 3 years?

ok your right you win he was a projected 5th round pick who we took at 27.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s too bad those don’t have dates on them because they sound like early draft analysis on buc.

this is what happens. Grades from early on to draft day change dramatically good and bad. Guys rise guys drop

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Buc would have been a very nice replacement for AW. Never got the chance. Buc and Mathieu would have been a hell of a pair of safeties, but they overthought it all and played them both out of position, making Buc a middle linebacker and Badger into a slot corner sort of weird position.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Former scout John Middlekauff said that around the league people view Simmons as a Dime LB...

Said its hard to build a defense around that. Lets hope his sources are wrong.