2020 1st round pick is Isaiah Simmons

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Any of you sad about use not getting Lamb because of this pick? I'm not of course, but curious if anyone else is.

I hope we will soon find out who their pick was going to be if Simmons didn't slip to them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang, Simmons is the guy I wanted. But, I respect your FB knowledge and wonder who you wanted?

I wanted Wills. I'm a proponent of best player available at a position of need.

Wills would have been a plug in play starter st RT and could be the best OL on the Cardinals within a year. I think Wills will make at least a few Pro Bowls.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Prisco Grade Analysis: B-

I'm not in love with this kid as a player. The range is phenomenal, but where does he play? Is he a safety? Is he a linebacker? Is he a hybrid? This kid to me is a safety. I don't think he's physical enough to play near the line of scrimmage. (Pete Prisco)

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 95

Strengths:

• Can line up at LB, slot corner, EDGE rusher and both safety positions
  • Elite athleticism allows him to easily match up vs. TEs/RBs and even slot WRs
  • Has sideline-to-sideline speed
Weaknesses:

• Better as a LB than S
  • Doesn't always wrap up as a tackler
  • Doesn't take on blocks

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. Watching the interviews with this kid. He is very well-spoken. Comes off as very intelligent. You really have to be to be a safety and win the Butkus award for top linebacker.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not in love with this kid as a player. The range is phenomenal, but where does he play? Is he a safety? Is he a linebacker? Is he a hybrid? This kid to me is a safety. I don't think he's physical enough to play near the line of scrimmage. (Pete Prisco)

Draft Scouting Report:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

• Better as a LB than S
  • Doesn't take on blocks
I think this is the only guy who wasn’t high on him. Others had him as the top player in the draft.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted Wills. I'm a proponent of best player available at a position of need.

Wills would have been a plug in play starter st RT and could be the best OL on the Cardinals within a year. I think Wills will make at least a few Pro Bowls.

Obviously there was some doubts with him since he wasn't even picked as the first Olineman chosen (although Wills was my first pick).. The odds of several OL in the 1st making the pro bowl is pretty small. I like it when we get the best player at a particular position and our defense was the worst in the league.. so it could be argued it might even be a bigger need. I guess we can look back in a couple years and see how things play out..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Draft Scouting Report:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

• Better as a LB than S
  • Doesn't take on blocks

Where does he play? They said the same thing about Luka Doncic. The answer is anywhere he wants.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wills was #2 on my list but in the end..... Isaiah was #3 on my board and Wills was number 5.

I’m very happy we took the BPA and a position in dire need of a talent upgrade.

Wills would have had to compete with Gilbert and Murray for time.
Simmons is automatically better than Reddick and now looks like a Star next to Hicks, our defensive quarterback.

This seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
His rookie year he’ll be a little bit of everything, but when Campbell is gone weak ILB is his job.
Baker and Simmons may play every snap this year.

Nickel and dime all the time.

Kennard-Phillips-Peters-Allen-Jones

Simmons-Hicks

Pat P, Alford, Murphy, Budda

Outstanding.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Wills was #2 on my list but in the end..... Isaiah was #3 on my board and Wills was number 5.

Simmons is automatically better than Reddick and now looks like a Star next to Hicks, our defensive quarterback.

I couldn't agree More. Like you were reading off my big board..

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Simmons-Hicks

Outstanding.

That’s the great thing about Simmons. There’s isn’t a situation that he doesn’t play in. I. Year 2 he’s a 100 tackle guy and who knows what else he will accomplish

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I couldn't agree More. Like you were reading off my big board..

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Simmons-Hicks

Outstanding.

That’s the great thing about Simmons. There’s isn’t a situation that he doesn’t play in. I. Year 2 he’s a 100 tackle guy and who knows what else he will accomplish

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think people understand how valuable this guy is.

He just filled our need for a backup safety, a backup MLB and a backup OLB.

He really is like 3 players in one.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss

Steve Keim also said Isaiah Simmons is like a “gumby doll” because he has “zero bend.”

That makes no sense, Weinfuss! He must've said he has extreme bend or something. :shrug:

Sure enough, the Athletic got the quote right and Weinfuss flubbed it:
“That was extremely attractive for us, his ability to cover tight ends,” Keim said. “Many times, linebackers in today’s game aren’t athletic enough to cover the tight ends that are having success and the safeties aren’t long enough. Now all of a sudden you have a 6-4 guy with 34-inch arms and runs a 4.3. When you watch him move on tape he’s sort of like a Gumby doll. The guy has zero stiffness. He’s a natural knee bender, he has tremendous lateral quickness and he can run and close like a bullet.”
...dave

Last edited:

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s a guy I wanted before the combine and after the combine. I just didn’t think he’d be there at 8

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Obviously there was some doubts with him since he wasn't even picked as the first Olineman chosen (although Wills was my first pick).. The odds of several OL in the 1st making the pro bowl is pretty small. I like it when we get the best player at a particular position and our defense was the worst in the league.. so it could be argued it might even be a bigger need. I guess we can look back in a couple years and see how things play out..

Gentlemen is kind of dumb :)

He picked the lineman with the lowest ceiling.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Athletic:

Keim put it more bluntly.

“We call that kind of player an eraser in this league,” he said.

Simmons’ selection continued a defensive makeover that began in free agency, when Arizona signed defensive lineman Jordan Phillips, outside linebacker Devon Kennard and inside linebacker De’Vondre Campbell.

Those signings make it a bit difficult to forecast where Simmons fits into the lineup. Kennard and Chandler Jones are set at outside linebacker. Campbell and Jordan Hicks likely will start inside. Coach Kliff Kingsbury indicated that Simmons, despite his top-10 draft status, may not be a starter when the regular season begins.

“We’re not just throwing him out there and saying sink or swim,” Kingsbury said. “There will be a little bit more grace period if you will, us being able to move him around in different spots and do different things with him because there isn’t an extreme need sitting here today where he has to play day one and make a major impact at a certain position.”

Keim said the Cardinals will deploy Simmons much the same way Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables did. Last season, Simmons played 299 downs at inside linebacker, 262 as a slot cornerback, 132 at free safety, 116 at outside linebacker and 100 at strong safety.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA