15 thoughts - draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I wonder what the new format will have of consequences. Of course everyone does just that, but my point is that I don’t entirely buy the widespread opinion that it won’t matter much. Usually everyone is gathered in the same room, and that means it is possible to communicate – even on a small and almost chit-chat level. I would imagine things like “hey, maybe we will get that guy, what do you think?”, “hey, area scout X, am I correct that prospect Y attended that school with that coach?”, “yo, coordinator, this guy is 6’4. You said you preferred 6’2 guys, right?” is thrown around a lot. I guess it would be possible to connect everyone on the same videocall, but I don’t really know much about computer programs that can do that, so I can’t say. I am not at all trying to imply that these questions-and-answers are that important, but I would suppose it changes the dynamics.

2 – Remember when they wanted to upgrade the pass rush, and thus they traded for Chandler Jones and drafted Robert Nkemdiche in the first round the same year? Who knows what they truly think of the passing arsenal?

3 – Simmons out of Clemson is the most exciting prospect in this class. Not necessarily who I want the most, but the most electrifying. Positionless players are the new trend in the NFL, and this guy can pretty much line up in any defensive position. The coordinator has to have a plan for him, though. If Vance Joseph (or any other defensive coordinator) does not have a specific plan in place, then don’t draft him.

4 – Who in their right mind think they know what would happen on day three?! Well, me.

Some players I like (actually, I include round three):

Offensive tackle Lucas Niang, TCU.

Offensive tackle Matt Peart, Uconn.

Center Matt Hennessy, N.C. State.

Wide receiver Lynn Bowden, Kentucky.

Wide receiver Isaiah Coulter, Rhode Island.

Tight end Jacob Breeland, Oregon.

Tight end O.J. Howard, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Edge rusher Darrell Taylor, Tennessee.

Defensive tackle James Lynch, Baylor.

Defensive tackle Khalil Davis, Nebraska.

Linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian State.

Linebacker Logan Wilson, Wyoming.

Defensive back Reggie Robinson, Tulsa.

Safety Davion Taylor, Colorado.

5 – I wonder what last years draft class mean for this year. NFL teams don’t have a one year plan. They plan for at least three years ahead, meaning I am not so sure they did not have the long term in mind last year. If that is correct, what are their visions for offensive tackles Josh Miles and free agent pickup Brett Toth (who will, by the way, be an All Pro at some point), or bringing in Marcus Gilbert for that matter? What about the three wide receivers? Using high draft picks at those position would basically be like giving up on those draft picks since they would then be so far down the depth chart that I would argue it doesn’t really matter anymore (baring injuries). Sure, one of the tackles could in theory by the #1 swing tackle on the roster, but any wide receiver would fall to #5 on the chart, and even in Kingsbury’s offense, how big a role would that guy have?

6 – If Derrick Brown is on the board at #8, and they pass on him, then that’s it. I am getting up and walking away from the TV. No, I didn’t mean that! It doesn’t count! Don’t hold me to it!

Some analyst will have you believe he is not a great pass rusher, but he collapses the pocket like it was no big deal. How is that not pass rush? You know, often former quarterbacks will tell you that the pass rush affecting them the most was not the player he could not see one yard behind him, but the player he could see two yards in front of him.

7 – I don’t for one second believe in valuable-less late round picks. That is potential starters. I don’t understand why people would undervalue them that much. You never throw those away. Never.

8 – Will any player currently on the roster be trait bait? My sleeper pick: Andy Isabella for a sixth- or seventh round pick.

9 – I am not one of the guys arguing that left tackle is still more important than right tackle, but still the biggest argument for that distinction is that the left tackle protects the quarterbacks blind side. Well, not that it would be that relevant with the Cards, but Jedrick Wills did in fact protect Tua’s blindside since Tua is a lefty.

10 – If the Cards traded down, the goal must be to get their second rounder back, so I was wondering how far you could go back, and still be compensated with that high a pick. History is obviously a much better indicator than any draft chart, so I looked it up. I went back five years.

Buffalo Bills sold #10 overall pick for #27 pick, a third rounder and first rounder the year after.

Tampa Bay sold #7 + a third rounder for #12, and two late second round picks.

Denver Broncos sold #10 for #20 and a low second rounder, as well as a third round pick the next year.

Raiders sold #10 for #15, a third- and fifth round selection.

Miami Dolphins sold #8 for #13 as well as two starters.

Cleveland Browns sold #8 and a sixth round pick for #15 and a third round pick, as well as a second round pick the year after.

Tampa Bay sold #9 for #11 and a fourth rounder.

I guess the evidence mostly shows that there isn’t really any return that can be expected. It probably depends on how much the buyer wants the prospect.

11 – Remember the name Chase Claypool. He is a wide receiver out of Notre Dame with tight end size, characteristics and, to a large extent, playing style. Some analysts has suggested he could go in the first round. Could be an interesting fit.

12 – Based on current projections, would they target defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, offensive tackle Andrew Thomas or maybe cornerback C.J. Henderson in a small trade back? If so, I would absolutely be in favor of that (of course, provided that Brown and Simmons are gone at #8).

13 – Prioritized offensive tackles: 1 - Jedrick Wills, 2 - Andrew Thomas, 3 – Tristan Wirfs, 4 – Mekhi Becton.

Many people seem to forget that Andrew Thomas has experience at both right- and left tackle, while Wirfs and Wills obviously both played right tackle regularly in college. If you are targeting a right tackle, this is the right year to do it.

14 – Bypass edge rushers all together and go for Clowney. Just do it, Keim.

15 – Draft weekend is potentially my favorite weekend of the year, so of course it matters a great deal how the TV production- and coverage is. I wonder how well it will work this year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#4. Not saying that Bowden isn't a good pick, just not for us. All I've read have him as a slot receiver, with a Julian Edelman upside. Our top three WR's all play inside. Also, why I wouldn't Jeudy even though I think he's the best WR in the Draft.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#1-A virtual draft. Great. How about this: Televise it in Black and White and not color. Would show that it is truly different. :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our first pick will alter our remaining picks.

Scares me to move down and outthink ourselves. There are 4 players we can’t pass on.
Young.
Simmons.
Brown.
Okudah.

There is a chance all 4 could be gone. Not likely, but possible. The qb’s will decide that.

Trading down 2-4 spots will only get us a 2nd if we throw in a 4th. Moving down a little further might not get us a 2nd but we would get multiple picks in return. Moving down 10-15 spots would get us as many as 3 picks. Probably 2 this year and a pick next year.

is there anybody out there that covers a CB because I think Okudah is the most likely( of the 4) to be available at 8?

When you look at scenarios trading back there are more than a couple of ways to go. Would you be happy if we traded down and got Ezra Cleveland and Marlon Davidson or Epenesa?

Can’t wait for Thursday.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess Im starting to think about the idea of making a big move back and trying to get another 1st rounder next year.

Lets say Tua slips a little and the Pats offer up #23, #87, and their 1st round pick next year??

I would have a hard time moving back that far, but if our team takes a leap next year, having a 2nd first round pick would be huge in adding young talent on cheap contracts.

What if we could still get Bechton at #23?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Im starting to think about the idea of making a big move back and trying to get another 1st rounder next year.

Lets say Tua slips a little and the Pats offer up #23, #87, and their 1st round pick next year??

I would have a hard time moving back that far, but if our team takes a leap next year, having a 2nd first round pick would be huge in adding young talent on cheap contracts.

What if we could still get Bechton at #23?

No way Bechton is there at 23.

Tua is not going to be on the board at 8 either.

If the patriots are after him, they are trading up to 3 - and there are rumors that is happening. I think the patriots would be very smart to do that.

Look at our draft last year - Murray is way more valuable than all the rest of the rest of our picks combined, so if New England offered all their picks to move up for 3 I think it's very reasonable and what they should try and do.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No way Bechton is there at 23.

Tua is not going to be on the board at 8 either.

If the patriots are after him, they are trading up to 3 - and there are rumors that is happening. I think the patriots would be very smart to do that.

Look at our draft last year - Murray is way more valuable than all the rest of the rest of our picks combined, so if New England offered all their picks to move up for 3 I think it's very reasonable and what they should try and do.

I think neither are probable...but stranger things have happened. 4 closely ranked OT's...but one with a failed drug test? A QB with a lot of skill but one of worst injury histories I can remember?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patriots aren’t trading up for a qb. Remember Cassel. Remember Garrapolo. You will be remembering Stidham.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patriots aren’t trading up for a qb. Remember Cassel. Remember Garrapolo. You will be remembering Stidham.

Yeah, I remember them, they were short term bandaids till Brady came back. Well Garrapolo might have been the long term plan, but Stidham is not.

I think they will trade up, and if not they will take one at 23.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember them, they were short term bandaids till Brady came back. Well Garrapolo might have been the long term plan, but Stidham is not.

I think they will trade up, and if not they will take one at 23.
I’ll bet you bragging rights. They won’t take a qb in the first round.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#1-A virtual draft. Great. How about this: Televise it in Black and White and not color. Would show that it is truly different. :)

That would be absolutely epic, Garth! It would be a strange experience, but I am all for it. :biglaugh:

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That will get them nowhere near top 10, Proximo. I don’t even see how they should get to #3, even if they start to include future picks (since that would not make the Lions better right now), and I don’t know that they have any great players with that kind of value. Of course, they could always trade Belichick. That should get them to #3. ;)

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
11 – Remember the name Chase Claypool. He is a wide receiver out of Notre Dame with tight end size, characteristics and, to a large extent, playing style. Some analysts has suggested he could go in the first round. Could be an interesting fit.

I hope we don't draft anyone from ND.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like all of your points besides a bit of a disagreement on #2 - Chandler Jones and Nkemdiche didn't play the same position, plus Diche was essentially the highest ceiling pick available at the time.

Where we stand today, at 8, there will be multiple players that aren't WRs that are a marriage of elite talent and need.

Always enjoy your posts!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how underwhelming would it be if we trade our 1st for something like: a 2nd, a 3rd and a 1st next year?

I mean, next year would sure be exciting but Gahhhhhh

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like all of your points besides a bit of a disagreement on #2 - Chandler Jones and Nkemdiche didn't play the same position, plus Diche was essentially the highest ceiling pick available at the time.

Where we stand today, at 8, there will be multiple players that aren't WRs that are a marriage of elite talent and need.

Always enjoy your posts!

his point was going all in on DL and OLB to make a pass rush I believe.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
his point was going all in on DL and OLB to make a pass rush I believe.
Yeah, but it would be a better analogy to see us picking up a pass catching TE than stacking the same position. If we had traded for Chandler and drafted another OLB, I could see it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it would be a better analogy to see us picking up a pass catching TE than stacking the same position. If we had traded for Chandler and drafted another OLB, I could see it.

DL is part of the pass rush. getting Jones and taking NK in the same year was to bolster the pass rush. it wasnt an analogy.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Bucs is the perfect value trade back and give us the highest R2 pick without going back too much. #8 = 1400 pts, #13 & #44 = 1450

Could see that happening with Bucs wanting OT to protect their goat.

Cards with:
R1.13 - could get us Kinlaw, Henderson, or Thomas
R2.12 - Niang, Cleveland, Pittman, Claypool, or best CB available

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
DL is part of the pass rush. getting Jones and taking NK in the same year was to bolster the pass rush. it wasnt an analogy.
He alluded to the "passing arsenal" in the same post, and given that there's no TE/pass-catching RB that's going anywhere near the first round, it's pretty clear he's talking about adding another WR with that point.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Bucs is the perfect value trade back and give us the highest R2 pick without going back too much. #8 = 1400 pts, #13 & #44 = 1450

Could see that happening with Bucs wanting OT to protect their goat.
If they want an OT to protect their GOAT, why don't we want one to protect the most promising young QB the franchise has had since moving to AZ?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson