Interesting CBS Draft Scenario

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-chandler-jones-patrick-peterson/2985899001/

AZCentral article but I think it reflects latest CBS mock. It has ARZ trading Jones for #3 pick (taking Okudah), trading #8 for #12 (taking Chaisson) & trading Peterson for #25 (taking Josh Jones). Doesn't make sense as ARZ seems to be in win now mode but if they are building for future then it would make sense.
Numbers make sense.

But "bird in hand" element adds to much risk to trading CJ and PP for talented rookies.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-chandler-jones-patrick-peterson/2985899001/

AZCentral article but I think it reflects latest CBS mock. It has ARZ trading Jones for #3 pick (taking Okudah), trading #8 for #12 (taking Chaisson) & trading Peterson for #25 (taking Josh Jones). Doesn't make sense as ARZ seems to be in win now mode but if they are building for future then it would make sense.
Numbers make sense.

But "bird in hand" element adds to much risk to trading CJ and PP for talented rookies.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CJ will decline eventually. Right now he's the best edge guy around. Win now. Super Bowl in 2021.
Keep him and go get another.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
30 is not old. He's just hitting his prime.

And how many years do you think he has left of high production? Historic examples?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sacking-father-time-elite-pass-rushers-productive-into-their-30s/
All-time greats seem to be able to keep up production through 35ish, and then there are the crazy exceptions of Bruce Smith and Reggie White who were monsters until almost 40.

CJ is going to decline, but there is a very realistic chance he could prove to be very productive for another full contract in AZ. I certainly would not trade him right now, I would look to extend him for 2-3 years and add another legit pass rusher on the other side.

If this mock had us trading CJ for #3 and getting Chase Young, I suppose you could make an argument...but I still would take the proven sack production.

If I was the Cards I would try to extend CJ to line up with KM's rookie deal. By then he will be 34, and it would make a lot more sense for us to move on. I would fully expect him to pick up another 50+ sacks in that time though!

Trade back to #12....draft Chaisson on the opposite side. Trade Peterson for #25 and pick someone that slides. Get an extra 2nd next year.

If Chaisson pans out, having 2 elite edge rushers would probably be more impactful than having PP21.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
CJ in “decline” would still be 13 to 15 sacks per year plus his pressures and disruptions plus leadership. Worth every penny.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sacking-father-time-elite-pass-rushers-productive-into-their-30s/
All-time greats seem to be able to keep up production through 35ish, and then there are the crazy exceptions of Bruce Smith and Reggie White who were monsters until almost 40.

CJ is going to decline, but there is a very realistic chance he could prove to be very productive for another full contract in AZ. I certainly would not trade him right now, I would look to extend him for 2-3 years and add another legit pass rusher on the other side.

If this mock had us trading CJ for #3 and getting Chase Young, I suppose you could make an argument...but I still would take the proven sack production.

If I was the Cards I would try to extend CJ to line up with KM's rookie deal. By then he will be 34, and it would make a lot more sense for us to move on. I would fully expect him to pick up another 50+ sacks in that time though!

Trade back to #12....draft Chaisson on the opposite side. Trade Peterson for #25 and pick someone that slides. Get an extra 2nd next year.

If Chaisson pans out, having 2 elite edge rushers would probably be more impactful than having PP21.
Thanks for the information, had no idea that he had the potential to be a high-level pass-rusher over 30. I just hope he isn’t doping like his brother but there is no examples of this.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, had no idea that he had the potential to be a high-level pass-rusher over 30. I just hope he isn’t doping like his brother but there is no examples of this.

This is pretty crazy...CJ already has 96 sacks in his career. He has averaged 15 sacks per year in AZ.

If we lowered our expectations down to 10 sacks a year over the next 4...he would be tied with Jared Allen at #12 all time. If we bump that up to just 11 sacks a year, he would be all the way up to #7 all time!!

Its not crazy to think we could have another AZ Cardinal headed to the hall of fame!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CJ just made the all decade team. I was listening to the PFF podcast and one of the guys I forget who jumped with why is Chandler Jones on the team and was quickly put in his place by the others with a “Dude you need to look at this guys stats”

glad to see him getting love. No way I’m trading him another thing is he plays an old man game. He’s not some super freak athlete he has the best technique in the game his hands are the best in football

cardinal for life!!