A Wide Receiver Question

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got asked an interesting question about my stance on Lamb. I was asked if the Cards choose to wait later in the draft, what receiver would I take in rounds 3-4? Again I know there are people out there who think a speed receiver to spread the field would be the best choice. I favor a WR that fits the Cards’ throw & go offense. That has led me to Tyler Johnson. He plays for the guy I believe to be the next “hot” coach, PJ Fleck. Johnsonis not fast. He is, however, one of those WRs who honed his ball skills in basketball. So when it comes to that skill set, he’s awesome. He is one of the few guys in the draft that rivals Lamb on 50-50 balls. He’s also one of the best in the game at high-pointing. Also, like Lamb, he eats zones alive. Additionally, Johnson has terrific situational awareness. He consistently backtracks to the QB when the QB is flushed. You’d be hard pressed to find that happening on a Cardinal play last year. His YAC is decent but no one has a YAC like Lamb.

For those fans of PFF (I admire their mission) they said, “Johnson has been one of college football’s best wideouts over the last two years, posting a two-year PFF receiving grade that is by far the best and a yards per route run total (3.50) that makes him the most productive in that stretch (second is CeeDee Lambat 3.42). In this year’s historic wide receiver class, Johnson rings in as WR11 and the 49th-best prospect overall. PFF's lead draft analyst Mike Renner compared him to Davante Adams.”

This guy is the perfect example of a player who doesn’t flash at the Combine but could have a long, productive NFL career. I would think to be assured of getting him they’d need to take him in the third though he could last until the early fourth.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got asked an interesting question about my stance on Lamb. I was asked if the Cards choose to wait later in the draft, what receiver would I take in rounds 3-4? Again I know there are people out there who think a speed receiver to spread the field would be the best choice. I favor a WR that fits the Cards’ throw & go offense. That has led me to Tyler Johnson. He plays for the guy I believe to be the next “hot” coach, PJ Fleck. Johnsonis not fast. He is, however, one of those WRs who honed his ball skills in basketball. So when it comes to that skill set, he’s awesome. He is one of the few guys in the draft that rivals Lamb on 50-50 balls. He’s also one of the best in the game at high-pointing. Also, like Lamb, he eats zones alive. Additionally, Johnson has terrific situational awareness. He consistently backtracks to the QB when the QB is flushed. You’d be hard pressed to find that happening on a Cardinal play last year. His YAC is decent but no one has a YAC like Lamb.

For those fans of PFF (I admire their mission) they said, “Johnson has been one of college football’s best wideouts over the last two years, posting a two-year PFF receiving grade that is by far the best and a yards per route run total (3.50) that makes him the most productive in that stretch (second is CeeDee Lambat 3.42). In this year’s historic wide receiver class, Johnson rings in as WR11 and the 49th-best prospect overall. PFF's lead draft analyst Mike Renner compared him to Davante Adams.”

This guy is the perfect example of a player who doesn’t flash at the Combine but could have a long, productive NFL career. I would think to be assured of getting him they’d need to take him in the third though he could last until the early fourth.
I like him. Big physical receiver.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Curious, but we still seek the Hopkins deal even if we took AJ or Deebo last year right?

DHop and AJ Brown on the outside. Fitz and Kirk in the slot. Yeesh

Lets hope Murphy improves at corner.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

What do you look for in college receivers? When watching there's highlights I can't help but notice that no DB touches the receiver at or near the line of scrimmage. Is that party of the learning curve to NFL? I feel like the only routes out receivers ran without going touched we're horizontal.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
What do you look for in college receivers? When watching there's highlights I can't help but notice that no DB touches the receiver at or near the line of scrimmage. Is that party of the learning curve to NFL? I feel like the only routes out receivers ran without going touched we're horizontal.
I start with drops & 50-50 balls. Can a receiver catch when covered? Drop syndrome can be improved but not typically eliminated. This also highlights body position and high pointing the ball.
Then I look at route running. Do they make sharp, fluid breaks? The best place to hit a good receiver is immediately after his break. Is the receiver on balance and aware? If he’s not immediately ready to receive I downgrade him. Of course a weak QB makes this tougher to evaluate.
Next I look at how he gets off the line. There’s less press coverage in college but if they see it can they get off it?
How do they respond to zones? Can they see the holes and do they settle down in them?
Advanced professionalism comes next. Do they run their route when not the primary target? Do they come back to help a flushed QB? Do they block and stay penalty free? These aspects can be taught if you see a receiver who has a history of improving his skills.
Finally all things being equal(rarer than you’d think) preference goes to height & speed, however these are often overvalued by scouts.
This is my list, others differ.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I start with drops & 50-50 balls. Can a receiver catch when covered? Drop syndrome can be improved but not typically eliminated. This also highlights body position and high pointing the ball.
Then I look at route running. Do they make sharp, fluid breaks? The best place to hit a good receiver is immediately after his break. Is the receiver on balance and aware? If he’s not immediately ready to receive I downgrade him. Of course a weak QB makes this tougher to evaluate.
Next I look at how he gets off the line. There’s less press coverage in college but if they see it can they get off it?
How do they respond to zones? Can they see the holes and do they settle down in them?
Advanced professionalism comes next. Do they run their route when not the primary target? Do they come back to help a flushed QB? Do they block and stay penalty free? These aspects can be taught if you see a receiver who has a history of improving his skills.
Finally all things being equal(rarer than you’d think) preference goes to height & speed, however these are often overvalued by scouts.

That's awesome.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Harry you at the next level it’s awesome. Thank you

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
@Harry am I off base on the ability of last year's receiver group to get off the line and effectively get open?
Isabella would be my biggest concern. Colleges rarely play physical coverage including pressing a receiver at the line. With Isabella’s speed he should be a factor but only if he can get separation. He & Johnson both need to refine their route running. Butler was never a great route runner depending more on his size. He can get off the line but his hands betray him.

I don’t think KK lacks faith in all three or they would have been targeted more in a losing year to develop them, as Butler did not need to be out the entire year from what I hear. Time will tell, but that’s why I favored Lamb.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft a WR in the first four rounds.
T, DL, RB, LB, IOL is how I see it playing out.

It may change with a trade down and added picks. But remaining at eight fortifying the LOS makes all the sense right now.

As a WC wideout I do like Johnson and Antonio Gibson. But what happens with Isabella?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Keim has had a mediocre track record drafting (I still think he shines in free agency if you take all the moves as a whole). Maybe those first two WRs (especially Isabella) are busts for where they were taken. Hell, Detroit kept drafting a WR in the first round till they got it right. Look, if we as a franchise can draft a QB in the first round and do it again till we got it right... then, I have no problem drafting Lamb and getting it right :raccoon:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Keim has had a mediocre track record drafting (I still think he shines in free agency if you take all the moves as a whole). Maybe those first two WRs (especially Isabella) are busts for where they were taken. Hell, Detroit kept drafting a WR in the first round till they got it right. Look, if we as a franchise can draft a QB in the first round and do it again till we got it right... then, I have no problem drafting Lamb and getting it right :raccoon:
It's between Wirfs/Wills and Murray as well.

None of the wideouts we drafted has Lamb's skillset, but we didn't use a #1 on them. They need another year.

Wirfs will be an All Pro/Pro Bowl caliber wherever and Wills as well mtl.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's between Wirfs/Wills and Murray as well.

None of the wideouts we drafted has Lamb's skillset, but we didn't use a #1 on them. They need another year.

Wirfs will be an All Pro/Pro Bowl caliber wherever and Wills as well mtl.

I really like that Georgia Dawg Thomas. Dude was the consistent playing in the SEC and can hold down the left tackle position if called upon