NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree 100% although things have been rolled out so slowly it may take pro sports to lead the way. They have the money to get it done. The national government has been slow taking the lead.
I can see that, but I'm still just really bothered. Millionaire athletes will get tested multiple times per week, but I read accounts there are people that died in their homes in NY that can't even get a test so the counts might be higher still. Like I said love basketball, but I don't really think we can bring back sports until anyone that needs a test can get one.

I would hope that health insurance companies would be all over covering a test like this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see that, but I'm still just really bothered. Millionaire athletes will get tested multiple times per week, but I read accounts there are people that died in their homes in NY that can't even get a test so the counts might be higher still. Like I said love basketball, but I don't really think we can bring back sports until anyone that needs a test can get one.

I would hope that health insurance companies would be all over covering a test like this.

Hopefully pro sports feels the same way so they can get fans back in the arenas and stadiums. It takes someone to lead the way. Agree, the test should be available to everyone who needs it first.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great and I love basketball... But.... Why can't we get these kinds of tests out to the hotspots and saves lives? Have I smoked so much weed in the last month I've become a communist or something?

I read an article today that the first test like that, to see if someone is either immune to the virus or has had it and is no longer susceptible to it, that was made by a US company was just approved by the FDA yesterday, April 5th. So these tests aren't something that were available a month ago. Apparently China claims to have some tests similar to those but who knows if that's true and how long it would take to get them. So having a US company make a test and produce it should get the ball rolling to get in the hands of the right people stateside.

It's interesting if you seek out the information as far as what is being done day by day. There is a real chance there could be a vaccine soon but it will also take time to be spread around. Scientists with the University of Pittsburgh have tested one that works on mice and while that is something, it'll take time to get it to human trials. Apparently they are ready for human trials now but they need approval. They are also saying that a vaccine isn't likely to come soon, even with some promising early work.

I'll see if I can find the links for these things.

Here's a link on the tests to see if someone has had it or is immune.

Here's a link on the vaccine

And here's another on a test that could help end the lockdown. This goes into more detail on what the test does and how it could end the shut-in.

ETA - I found all those links from one source, which I really liked how they organized things and shared information. It's an "In The News" portal from the University of Pittsburgh's Medical College's website. Apparently they are one of the schools leading the charge in fighting this. If you take a look at the page though, it's easy to read and you can see links displayed clearly so if you want to learn more on a subject, it's easy to get to.

Here's the link for that....

https://www.upmc.com/media/in-the-news

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Y’all still think I am too hard on Gobert’s reckless disregard for the health of others? Apparently it might have destroyed the Jazz top pairing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to bet, I'd say the Jazz trade Mitchell and hang on to Gobert. Mitchell is a good player but Gobert is the sort of player that can carry a defense single handedly. Take Gobert away from the Jazz and their defense sucks, rebounding is awful, and they look similar to the Suns a few years ago. Gobert isn't a good offensive player but he's average and doesn't make waves about his touches.

I don't think the Suns should have interest in either. A Mitchell/Booker backcourt would score bunches or implode because both try too hard to be "The Man".

Gobert next to Ayton would be a huge team and probably the best rebounding team in years but they should keep Ayton at Center. I don't see them giving up on Gobert without getting Ayton in return either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Jazz trade either player. Things would have to get pretty awful for it to happen. My guess is they work it out unless there is more going on behind the scene that we do not know about.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the 2020-21 season tips off this calendar year, before a vaccine for the coronavirus is widely available, what will games in arenas look like? What will be done to protect both players and the people who sit courtside and come in contact with the players?

It’s possible the NBA would re-open without courtside seats, or maybe with plexiglass up kind of like a hockey game, several people suggest in an interesting story by Adam Aziz at The Undefeated.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-eventually-returns-arenas-could-015753313.html

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should do an elite-8 with the current standings starting July 1st. 1 game elimination tourney don’t @ me.
That would be so badass!!!! Atleast gove team like lakers bucks to play for a trophy even if without fans

Life sucks without sports....

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they're not playing in front of fans then there shouldn't be a push for "home court advantage". I imagine that players will be quarantined to some degree also, which rules out the advantage of sleeping in their own beds also.

I don't know about single elimination but best of 3, I'd be fine with up until the finals, at least. The traditionalist in me would want to see that go 7. I don't want to see a team make excuses for having lost in 3 or 5, especially not 1.

If a team says they could have gotten out of the first round after single elimination then whatever, you had plenty of time to prepare so I'm taking that as sour grapes.

They could do a single elimination first round with all 30 teams, give the best record in each conference a first round bye. That could be interesting but I doubt they go that crazy. I just need real basketball back in my life.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they're not playing in front of fans then there shouldn't be a push for "home court advantage". I imagine that players will be quarantined to some degree also, which rules out the advantage of sleeping in their own beds also.

I don't know about single elimination but best of 3, I'd be fine with up until the finals, at least. The traditionalist in me would want to see that go 7. I don't want to see a team make excuses for having lost in 3 or 5, especially not 1.

If a team says they could have gotten out of the first round after single elimination then whatever, you had plenty of time to prepare so I'm taking that as sour grapes.

They could do a single elimination first round with all 30 teams, give the best record in each conference a first round bye. That could be interesting but I doubt they go that crazy. I just need real basketball back in my life.

If the NBA has the playoffs it could produce some interesting results with teams that are in the best shape having an advantage.

It could almost be like starting the season all over again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still no timetable for NBA to resume or cancel the season.

From ESPN article by Ohm Young:

Commissioner Adam Silver said the NBA remains committed to resuming the season but that there is still no timetable for a possible return or even a deadline for canceling the 2019-20 suspended season.

Following the NBA's board of governors meeting held via video conference Friday, Silver said the league is still not in position to make any decisions.

"Based on the reports that we got from varied outside officials, current public health officials ... we are not in a position to make any decisions," Silver said in a conference call with reporters. "And it's unclear when we will be."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ch-uncertainty-clear-path-nba-possible-return

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
31s

NBA's decision on opening practice facilities to players in markets where governments may be loosening stay-at-home orders doesn't mean a resumption of season is imminent. The NBA is still unsure on if/when it can play again. But getting players safely into gyms was a priority.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA will not target opening team practice facilities earlier than May 8th.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

The NBA has informed its franchises that it is targeting no earlier than May 8 for any use of team's practice facility, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The NBA will continue to monitor coronavirus pandemic with its timings.

12:07 PM - 27 Apr 2020

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on what must be done.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: When NBA’s facilities open as soon as May 8, players must wear facemasks at all times, except when in physical activity; staffers working with players must wear gloves; physical distancing of at least 12 feet.

12:23 PM - 27 Apr 2020