Things that make me say "hmmmmm"

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Why not ?? Air Raid with speed galore. This could be very entertaining . . and isn't that the whole point?

We spend countless hours and dollars obsessing over every nuance and blurb we can find. The gnashing of teeth

over Bosa/Rosen..Murray the midget quarterback..Keim's dead cap money..no drafting' failure..overpaying Drake -" the flash in the

pan"..our OLine sucks..

Hey, if our new frontier - hotshot coach wants to hit the jets . . . why not ??

The future looks bright

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
NFL is about creating mismatches. We would have three special weapons in DHop, Ruggs and KM that would put fear in every DC. How many teams have a second CB that can run with Ruggs? He impacts how defenses will align. He can make an impact without catching the ball. No safeties in the box creating more space for RBs and Kyler to run as well.

Any DB that can't run with Ruggs, can't run with AI.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why not ?? Air Raid with speed galore. This could be very entertaining . . and isn't that the whole point?

We spend countless hours and dollars obsessing over every nuance and blurb we can find. The gnashing of teeth

over Bosa/Rosen..Murray the midget quarterback..Keim's dead cap money..no drafting' failure..overpaying Drake -" the flash in the

pan"..our OLine sucks..

Hey, if our new frontier - hotshot coach wants to hit the jets . . . why not ??

The future looks bright
I don't enjoy the product very much if it doesn't translate to wins. I'd rather watch an undefeated season where we beat the other team 9-6 each week than be a top five offense and miss the playoffs.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Wills/Wirfs, Brown or Lamb/Ruggs. you can't go wrong at 8 with any of those guys. Each would bring a likely day 1 starter.

I do think the preferred route for Keim is trading down however and take the best player left where they wind up.

Then address OL or DL with that extra pick, and get another future starter there.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
His speed scared everyone. Hell..... a few of the times he touched the ball it was electric.

The K1 throw and Andy's catch and run (1st rounder to 2nd rounder) may have been the play of the year IMO. Even more than KD's run in Seattle.

I am not buying the game speed. Jaquiski Tart (4.53 combine), Jimmie Ward, K'Waun Willams, and Fred Warner (4.64) nearly caught him from behind. Look how far Tart is when Andy catches the ball 11 yards away? Smith is going toward sideline and basically has to stop and change directions. Williams comes out of nowhere. Tyreek Hill would have made this a track meet and pulled away from everyone by at least 10-15 yards.

Andy (4.31) didn't scare anyone on those jet sweeps either...lack of agility and burst. Not even close to Tyreek Hill (4.29).

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His speed scared everyone. Hell..... a few of the times he touched the ball it was electric.

The K1 throw and Andy's catch and run (1st rounder to 2nd rounder) may have been the play of the year IMO. Even more than KD's run in Seattle.
If Andy can learn how to shed blockers and catch with his hands instead of his body I think he will improve greatly in his 2nd year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
The front office needs to consider drafting one of us off the message board. After all we need a speed wr/ kick return guy that can also be a serviceable punter.

Give me a million and I'll try like hell to return my own punts.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
that's somewhat fair @TheCardFan

I think you have to give Andy his due for a few reasons.

1. He caught the ball.... had to almost immediately stop, pivot, then change directions all at a standstill because he was close to out of bounds.
2. Then he had to accelerate, and navigate a couple defenders between him and the goal line.

In fairness....... he was caught if it wasn't for that small block downfield. And he did totally gas out. I think that is due to him not playing much and not being in total game shape.

With all that being said.... He scored. And it was nuts.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
that's somewhat fair @TheCardFan

I think you have to give Andy his due for a few reasons.

1. He caught the ball.... had to almost immediately stop, pivot, then change directions all at a standstill because he was close to out of bounds.
2. Then he had to accelerate, and navigate a couple defenders between him and the goal line.

In fairness....... he was caught if it wasn't for that small block downfield. And he did totally gas out. I think that is due to him not playing much and not being in total game shape.

With all that being said.... He scored. And it was nuts.

also: prior to catching the ball, he ran a 15 yard up, and a full 40 yard or so cross of the field.

i find the idea that a 80 yard catch and run for a td is proof somebody isnt all that fast funny

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The difference between Ruggs and Isabella is that Ruggs is fluid shifting his gears and AI is not while running a route

There are many more differences between the two including height, vertical, ability to high point the ball, tracking the ball on deep routes, the ability to catch the ball away from their frame(Ruggs with over ten inch hands). Ruggs was the most explosive player I have ever seen on tape. My opinion was made before the combine. AI’s tape Never matched his combine numbers. He wasn’t worth a day two pick based on what I seen. Zero comparison between these two players.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
also: prior to catching the ball, he ran a 15 yard up, and a full 40 yard or so cross of the field.

i find the idea that a 80 yard catch and run for a td is proof somebody isnt all that fast funny

Fast yes...elite 4.3 fast? No.

So I guess Alshon Jeffery is fast?

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/top-15-jeffery-80-yard-touchdown-12439850

Here is what a fast guy does to defenders:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/patrick-mahomes-goes-air-raid-to-tyreek-hill-for-75-yard-touchdown

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
fwiw:

Doug / Wolf just did a segment on the (initial) thread topic

apparently, they had Rashad Johnson on, who now works with Alabama on player development and is their sideline reporter

he was asked of the three of Wills, Juedy and Ruggs, who would be the best pick for the Cards

while complimentary and positive on all, he said Ruggs

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
Fast yes...elite 4.3 fast? No.

So I guess Alshon Jeffery is fast?

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/top-15-jeffery-80-yard-touchdown-12439850

Here is what a fast guy does to defenders:

https://www.chiefs.com/video/patrick-mahomes-goes-air-raid-to-tyreek-hill-for-75-yard-touchdown

by your standard: in the first Hill example, on a end around where Hill gets to turn vertical quickly, a Bronco with a 50 number almost catches him down field. Does that mean Hill isn't that much faster than a linebacker? of course not

I think long plays
where the player has to nearly stop and reverse field and still runs away from people is far tougher than
where the player gets vertical for all/most of it (the Jeffrey example).

if the argument is that Isabella isn't as fast as Tyrek Hill -- then lets stipulate that

but Isabella is demonstrably a fast football player -- its that there are lots of other things he needs to prove to be a threat

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
by your standard: in the first Hill example, on a end around where Hill gets to turn vertical quickly, a Bronco with a 50 number almost catches him down field. Does that mean Hill isn't that much faster than a linebacker? of course not

if the argument is that Isabella isn't as fast as Tyrek Hill -- then lets stipulate that

#50...your joking right?

My argument is Isabella isn't elite football fast. He is fast running the 40 but it hasn't translated to the field. T. Hill is an example of a player that does both.

We can agree to disagree.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
#50...your joking right?

My argument is Isabella isn't elite football fast. He is fast running the 40 but it hasn't translated to the field. T. Hill is an example of a player that does both.

We can agree to disagree.
I think Isabella in gym shorts running the forty is fast, but for whatever reason in pads is not elite fast. He does not have Mike Quick/Roy Green/Tim Brown burn by you football speed. I have not seen him in pads make up ground for instance on a pass which has been overthrown like a Ferrari shifting gears just yet, maybe given more opportunities he can. He's a fast WR by all means, just not elite but one could make a case for Ruggs being elite. Put it this way, Marquise Goodwin's top speed equates to the field while Isabella does not... Goodwin blows the top of a defense with a exclamation point

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we draft a WR in round 1, I would prefer it to be Ruggs.

This is the list of WRs who have run in his range at the combine

Wide receivers with a 4.30 time or less at the NFL Combine

1. John Ross, 4.22 (2017)
  2. Rondel Menendez, 4.24 (1999)
  3. Jerome Mathis, 4.26 (2005)
  4. Henry Ruggs III, 4.27 (2020)
  5. Marquise Goodwin, 4.27 (2013)
  6. Jacoby Ford, 4.28 (2010)
  7. J.J. Nelson, 4.28 (2015)
  8. Yamon Figures, 4.30 (2007)
  9. Darrius Heyward-Bey, 4.30 (2009)

It's a massive error to take Ruggs. His size and speed comp to James Jett and Santana Moss at best and this is at the bottom.

Player A is within an inch of 5'10, within 2 lbs of 190 and ran a sub 4.30 at the combine/pro day and their last college season

40 receptions for 746 yards and 7 TDs

Player B is within an inch of 5'10, within 2 lbs of 190 and ran a sub 4.30 at the combine/pro day and their last college season

36 reception 871 yards and 10 TDs

Player A is Ruggs

Player B is Phillip Dorsett

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, we would legit be copying the Colts massive error of taking Dorsett in the first round but at a much higher price. I wouldn't touch Ruggs until the 20s and its still a massive gamble.