James Wiseman

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A number of mocks drafts have center prospect James Wiseman going number 1 in the draft and he is indeed physically impressive.

However, he only played three games for the Memphis Tigers.

Wiseman stands 7' 1" has a a 7' 6" wingspan and weighs 237 pounds.

ESPN writes:

The James Wiseman era at Memphis has ended after just three games.

Wiseman, who has missed the past seven games due to a 12-game suspension stemming from an NCAA investigation and was set to return at South Florida on Jan. 12, announced on Instagram on Thursday that he will leave the program, hire an agent and prepare for the 2020 NBA draft.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b.../james-wiseman-leaves-memphis-enter-nba-draft

NBA Draft Room projects him going #1 in their mock.

They write:

Strengths

Wiseman has a great frame with long arms, good strength and excellent agility. He runs the floor well and is a high level athlete, not just a big body. He can play in areas above the rim that most players can't reach.

His post up and mid range game are on point and he knows how to get to his spot and body up against the defender to create space. He shows quick moves in the lane and a soft touch around the basket. He's a ferocious dunker who can really explode off the floor and play way above the rim. He's also got a sweet left-hand baby hook shot, which he shoots with great elevation.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/07/james-wiseman.html

Tankathon also has Wiseman going #1 in their mock and NBADraft.Net #3.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some scouting video on James Wiseman.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Won't last to our pick, so not on my radar.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitchell Robinson part 2? That's what I am thinking.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first saw video on Wiseman, Joel Embiid immediately came to mind.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if the descriptions of his many strong points fit our #1 pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do Suns have any trade assets beside the Core? Extra draft picks maybe?

Nope. They don't have their own 2nd round pick this year either. So the top trade assets they have outside of future picks and the core of Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Oubre is probably Lecque. I think his trade value is probably very close to what an early 2nd round pick would fetch this year, maybe even a little higher, but that's only to a team that is looking to add a project combo guard with insane athleticism.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When I first saw video on Wiseman, Joel Embiid immediately came to mind.

Yeah, somewhere between Embiid and Robinson, although that is a pretty wide range.

His rolling to the basket is very similar to Robinson but he is much more advanced offensively than the Knicks' center.

But Embiid was an Olajuwon-clone even in college, so that might be too generous.

Maybe nbadraft.net's comparison of him, Hassan Whiteside offers a solid compromise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, somewhere between Embiid and Robinson, although that is a pretty wide range.

His rolling to the basket is very similar to Robinson but he is much more advanced offensively than the Knicks' center.

But Embiid was an Olajuwon-clone even in college, so that might be too generous.

Maybe nbadraft.net's comparison of him, Hassan Whiteside offers a solid compromise.

Embiid was my first impression but I'm not sure that is close. There is not much college video to see on Wiseman.

I can see the Whiteside comparison but I'm thinking he might be slightly more athletic. Perhaps Ayton might be a comparison as well?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Warriors sites are all saying they are NOT all that interested in Wiseman. Everyone thinks if they keep their pick the kid they want is Edwards the SG from Georgia, or the Foreign guy

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is not a sure thing. I certainly wouldn’t trade up for him.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
FWIW Warriors sites are all saying they are NOT all that interested in Wiseman. Everyone thinks if they keep their pick the kid they want is Edwards the SG from Georgia, or the Foreign guy
I have a hard time seeing them draft a PG/SG/SF with a top pick this year. I don't see where Edwards or Ball would fit on that team. Edwards ego wouldn't fit into that locker room. Wiseman makes sense for them only if they see him as a team player, which I don't. Which makes me think they go Deni...

It would make me sick if they get Deni. He'd be a great fit since he's already a proven team player, excellent at creating for others, goes 100% on every single play, and would excel with that many champions to groom him. Great, just what GS needs, another player that buys into their system to help them win. Ugh.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing them draft a PG/SG/SF with a top pick this year. I don't see where Edwards or Ball would fit on that team. Edwards ego wouldn't fit into that locker room. Wiseman makes sense for them only if they see him as a team player, which I don't. Which makes me think they go Deni...

It would make me sick if they get Deni. He'd be a great fit since he's already a proven team player, excellent at creating for others, goes 100% on every single play, and would excel with that many champions to groom him. Great, just what GS needs, another player that buys into their system to help them win. Ugh.

The sites say they don't want either Wiseman or Ball. They don't think Wiseman fits their spread court system, can't shoot. For Ball they apparently just don't think he's a good fit I would imagine it's shooting don't really know.

Edwards is definitely not flawless but he's talented, if you can work him into the system by say year 3 you might have a really good player.

I haven't really seen any of Deni but he's apparently the other kid people think they want.

Local tv has been showing replays of lots of old Warriors games, playoffs etc.. This week it's the 2015 Cavs finals and it is interesting seeing them with Ezelli or Bogut at the 5, the overall defense was better due to rim protection but they are SO much better against the Cavs with Draymond at the 5. It might be team specific, during the regular season that death lineup only played like 120 minutes and wasn't their best lineup, but in the playoffs it was clearly their best lineup. So I imagine the alleged aversion to Wiseman is connected in part to that.

Melo is the same size as Iggy but not remotely that type of defender or competitor, if he was they would clearly want him

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson