Derek Brown

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
So I just watched some film on the young man because I’m not a big college football guy, but I’ve got to say I’m thoroughly impressed.

This kid is big, strong, quick, violent, relentless, tough, and smart. I was expecting a sloppy looking NT, but he is anything but. He can play 1, 3, and even 5 technique.

I see some Calais in his game in terms of power and he has the gap shooting quickness of a Fletcher Cox. I don’t care how he tested at the combine. The big eye in the sky don’t lie. This kid (I mean man) has all sorts of game. He collapses the pocket with regularity and although he doesn’t always get home, he will absolutely ruin your run game... Yes, you 49ers.

In all fairness to Okudah and Simmons, this is the guy our defense needs IMHO to take it to a whole other level. If Brown is gone, I’ll admit that I want Ruggs because he would likely have a similar immediate impact on the offense and teams that Brown would have on the defense. Sign me up!!!

Last edited:

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Definitely in a great position to get him or another stud in this draft. They will either have a chance to draft the #1 player at a position that can have an immediate impact for this team.

#1 DE Chase Young
#1 DT Derek Brown
#1 CB Jeff Okudah
#1 LB Isaiah Simmons
#1 OT or #1 WR(the players rated #1 vary)

Worst case scenario may be all these players are gone and a QB is available for some team to make an offer and move up.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
So I just watched some film on the young man because I’m not a big college football guy, but I’ve got to say I’m thoroughly impressed.

This kid is big, strong, quick, violent, relentless, tough, and smart. I was expecting a sloppy looking NT, but he is anything but. He can play 1, 3, and even 5 technique.

I see some Calais in his game in terms of power and he has the gap shooting quickness of a Fletcher Cox. I don’t care how he tested at the combine. The big eye in the sky don’t lie. This kid (I mean man) has all sorts of game. He collapses the pocket with regularity and although he doesn’t always get home, he will absolutely ruin your run game... Yes, you 49ers.

In all fairness to Okudah and Simmons, this is the guy our defense needs IMHO to take it to a whole other level. If Brown is gone, I’ll admit that I want Ruggs because he would likely have a similar immediate impact on the offense and teams that Brown would have on the defense. Sign me up!!!
Yup. Solid person, great work ethic and motor, immensely talented. You don’t find DT’s like him very often.

As for Ruggs, smells too Raider-ish to me.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I want to like Brown but history is not on his side.
  • Who was the last DT taken in the top 10 that made an impact?
  • He is not Aaron Donald
  • Didn't have the production in college
  • His #1 asset is strength but it will be neutralized in the NFL (each week he will be going against grown ass men not 21 year old college guys)
  • His combine performance was awful
You must be registered for see images attach

I think we would be getting a Dexter Lawrence type player (very similar to Jordan Phillips as well).

Here is what Dexter did as a rookie...would you be happy with this as your top 10 pick?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
  • He is not Aaron Donald
  • His #1 asset is strength but it will be neutralized in the NFL (each week he will be going against grown ass men not 21 year old college guys)

I think we would be getting a Dexter Lawrence type player (very similar to Jordan Phillips as well).

Here is what Dexter did as a rookie...would you be happy with this as your top 10 pick?

No, I don't want, but when the hype is started for a player it's difficult to slow it down

I totally agree with your concerns, he doesn't have the production and the athletic ability to be considered a top 15 pick, and history explain us how stupid is to invest a top15 in a defensive tackle over 315 pound

I like more Naville Gallimore, Marlon Davidson or Matubuiki for our defensive line unit

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
  • He is not Aaron Donald

100% Agree

We have the opportunity to take someone with a much higher floor than this guy. You can't take enormous chances in the top 8!

Young
Okudah
Simmons
Wills
Trade back
Lamb/Wirfs/Ruggs/Thomas/Jeudy

All have higher floors than Brown.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
100% Agree

We have the opportunity to take someone with a much higher floor than this guy. You can't take enormous chances in the top 8!

Young
Okudah
Simmons
Wills
Trade back
Lamb/Wirfs/Ruggs/Thomas/Jeudy

All have higher floors than Brown.
Not counting the obvious Young, Jeudy & Okudah, but for the rest of these, based off of what?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having a solid dt next to Phillips would help take off pressure

But if simmons or ok is there even lamb those are players to pass on.... or any of the top ot

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some guys clearly didn’t watch him play.

Won't be the first time u wrong about some prospect evaluation, even if u use to watch it clearly.. but I don't want to rub your nose in it
Let's talks about it after his rookie season

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Won't be the first time u wrong about some prospect evaluation, even if u use to watch it clearly.. but I don't want to rub your nose in it

no see I’m an adult and can admit plenty when I’m wrong and I’ve been wrong about more than I’ve been right.

if your right about prospects more than your wrong you should be an NFL GM because you’d be the best GM in history.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not counting the obvious Young, Jeudy & Okudah, but for the rest of these, based off of what?
Wills & Wirfs - Polish for Wills, and a typical RT will play 100% of offensive downs week to week.
WR's - Conservatively play roughly 60 to 75% of downs. More likely closer to 80%.

Brown will play roughly 50 to 65% of downs just based on how defensive line play is coached.

Next, he will have to overcome historically bad data (posted in my quote) regarding his measureables and how that leads to overall prospect production at the next level.

And finally...... DT's are just an absolute crap shoot this high in the draft. If we were talking pick 12 or later? Fine. Most picks are riskier at that point.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do like Brown but am concerning on taking an DT at #8. It seems to be a hard position to evaluate in terms of how they will do in the NFL. There have been many hits and misses with picking a DT as a high first round pick. Bottom line is I would pass on taking him or Kinlaw at #8.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Some guys clearly didn’t watch him play.
I guess you're right at some level?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

One of the single greatest plays I’ve ever seen a DT make. Flies right by the guard, chases the RB in the back field, changes direction and creams him 20 yards later.

that’s just insane
That is a great play. It represents 1/60th of the plays in that game. He played roughly 55 to 60% of the time.

That is a great play. It represents 1/80th of the plays in that game. He played roughly 55 to 60% of the time.

And look, I like the kid..... We have huge needs at much more important positions on the field.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wills & Wirfs - Polish for Wills, and a typical RT will play 100% of offensive downs week to week.
WR's - Conservatively play roughly 60 to 75% of downs. More likely closer to 80%.

Brown will play roughly 50 to 65% of downs just based on how defensive line play is coached.

Next, he will have to overcome historically bad data (posted in my quote) regarding his measureables and how that leads to overall prospect production at the next level.

And finally...... DT's are just an absolute crap shoot this high in the draft. If we were talking pick 12 or later? Fine. Most picks are riskier at that point.

I get what your saying but we can’t ignore our defense either. I think this draft has to be offensive line or defensive front 7 with our first pick.

if I can get another Docket I’m good

I don’t take anyone over Simmons if he’s there. But with the offensive lineman in my opinion Andrew Thomas and Wills are legit, I think Wirfs is best suited at guard and Becton is a project.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess you're right at some level?

That is a great play. It represents 1/60th of the plays in that game. He played roughly 55 to 60% of the time.

That is a great play. It represents 1/80th of the plays in that game. He played roughly 55 to 60% of the time.

And look, I like the kid..... We have huge needs at much more important positions on the field.
You mention that Brown made one great play in that game. So I assume you watched every play that game? Just because a guy doesn’t make highlight reel plays doesn’t mean he isn’t impacting the game. Fact: Auburn’s run defense in 2019 suffered more that a yard and a half difference when Brown was out of the game. That is called indisputable evidence that he is impacting games.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has there been a player that has performed historically bad at the combine and been a solid pro, never mind a top ten pick?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Has there been a player that has performed historically bad at the combine and been a solid pro, never mind a top ten pick?

Orlando Brown, not a top 10 pick but he had a terrible combine and is a good RT. He was projected as a first rounder but fell to the third partly because of his workout numbers. He's since started 26 straight games at RT for the Ravens and played in the most recent Pro Bowl (he was an alternate).

Orlando Brown Jr. of Oklahoma had historically bad NFL combine workout
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...storically-bad-nfl-combine-workout/391640002/

I am sure there are more but he was the first one that came to mind.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Peyton Manning. Peyton has talked many times about having a horrible pre draft performance. Didn’t turn out too bad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Orlando Brown, not a top 10 pick but he had a terrible combine and is a good RT. He was projected as a first rounder but fell to the third partly because of his workout numbers. He's since started 26 straight games at RT for the Ravens and played in the most recent Pro Bowl (he was an alternate).

Orlando Brown Jr. of Oklahoma had historically bad NFL combine workout
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...storically-bad-nfl-combine-workout/391640002/

I am sure there are more but he was the first one that came to mind.

Browns combine wasn’t great but it wasn’t historically bad

Orlando Brown Jr might have had the single worst combine ever for a top prospect and he’s been damn good on the field and off lol
https://www.instagram.com/luyah/?hl=en

On the flip side. There have been a ton of guys who had great combines and never amounted to anything.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Browns combine wasn’t great but it wasn’t historically bad

Orlando Brown Jr might have had the single worst combine ever for a top prospect and he’s been damn good on the field and off lol
https://www.instagram.com/luyah/?hl=en

On the flip side. There have been a ton of guys who had great combines and never amounted to anything.

Yeah I didn't think Derek Brown was "historically bad", people like to throw that term out a lot. I am sure he was disappointed and he didn't do as well as he would have liked but it wasn't enough to drop him significantly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose