Christian Kirk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hopkins - CeeDee - Fitzgerald - Kirk

All he has to do is hang on to the ball.

Hanging on to the ball has proven to be quite the feat for a majority once they turn pro... which is why I still luv me some Frank Sanders and Pat Tilley which not many would call dynamic :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kirk will probably break out in his free agency season, leave the Cardinals and be a real good receiver for a team like the Eagles.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Funny we are even mentioning Cards needing a WR when we need so much help and improvement elsewhere. We discussed possibly needing to draft another WR after drafting 3 relatively high last year, then we go out and get maybe the best there is in Hopkins. And now after that, we are still saying we need to draft another WR. Come on, this seems silly.

That being said, remember how much we loved having Fitz and Bolden together. Well, we might be able to get Claypool in the 3rd. I personally believe he might be a beast along side Hopkins. I would go for that, but would be hard to swallow another WR choice with either our first 2 picks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kirk's last 3 games

11 catches on 20 targets for for 93 yards. 4.65 yards per target.

Stop it with this "He is a better #2 than most teams"

You can find 3 games in anyone's career to make a point like that.

Let's look at his YPG. 49.2 in 2018 in one of the worst offenses of all time. 54.5 YPG last year.

Now compare that to some other WR2's around the league. I'll use Dave's list of "arguably better" players.

Marvin Jones - 56 and 59. Better for sure, but also he's a 9 year pro playing in the same system with the same QB. He didn't pass Kirk until his 5th year.

Cole Beasley - 2 year vet who has never passed 52 YPG.

Tyler Boyd - His first 2 years he had 37 and 22 YPG

Robby Anderson - 36, 58, 53, 48 YPG over 4 years

Mike Williams first 2 years - 9.5 YPG and 41.5 YPG

Sterling Shepard - 42, 56, 54, 57

Robert Woods - 41, 43, 39, 47, 65, 76, 75 - Didnt pass Kirk until year 5

Kirk will be fine. It's not Madden. Most players don't get to the league and start tearing off 80 yards per game. Statistically he's better than most through 2 years. Especially when you consider the situations he has had to play in.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh... Kirk has is going to have to get more explosive/breaking tackles for things to change.

Doesnt have a great catch radius, inconsistent hands at times, not game breaking speed.

Golden Tate was such an incredibly strong runner and could high point the football on deep passes if needed.

Kirk actually peaked his freshman year in college. No guarantee he improves in the NFL. I hope he does though. Thats why these next couple of years are so huge.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, re-signing Budda Baker is more important than re-signing Kirk. That said, the draft will have a lot to say in this matter.

Well it is yeah, because Budda is in his last year. Kirk has 2 left.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well it is yeah, because Budda is in his last year. Kirk has 2 left.
Good hell. Even if they were both in their contract years, Baker has done more to deserve a contract. Kirk has been meh at best. He still has time, but I'm not giving him 10 mil per year with what he has shown so far.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good hell. Even if they were both in their contract years, Baker has done more to deserve a contract. Kirk has been meh at best. He still has time, but I'm not giving him 10 mil per year with what he has shown so far.

I just want to be clear on this. 52 YPG over the first 2 years in not "meh". Nobody in the league would consider that poor, or even average.

Especially when his rookie season was in one of the all time bad offenses. Some other guys that people round here consider much better?

John Brown - 55 YPG first 2 years
Michael Floyd - 50 YPG first 2 years
Breaston - 55 YPG (first 2 years as starter)

And those guys didn't have Wilks and Co to deal with, 2 rookie QB's and a coach / scheme change.

Kirk will be just fine.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why though?

His rookie year he had one of the worst offenses of all time but still would have had 800 yards if he stayed healthy. With Wilks, McCoy and Rosen.

Seahawks fans are jerking off about Metcalf getting 900 this year with one of the league's best QBs and best HCs.

Then he has to learn a whole new scheme, new QB etc and would have had nearly 900 yards with a full slate.

His only issue is missing games. Yards wise he's had a better first 2 years than many current stars.

"Would have had" doesn't equal "had," and missing games is a big, big issue, especially when it's every season. He could pan out to be a solid #2, or he could become a dime a dozen kind of WR. Either way, we can't count on him for the very reason you outline in your post--he can't BE counted on to play a whole season.

But hurt and dealing with a nagging injury into the end of the season. You have to place context on it.

Exactly, context. Context says he can't do it a full season. We shall see.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
"Would have had" doesn't equal "had," and missing games is a big, big issue, especially when it's every season. He could pan out to be a solid #2, or he could become a dime a dozen kind of WR. Either way, we can't count on him for the very reason you outline in your post--he can't BE counted on to play a whole season.

I'm not 100% sure where you're aligned on the WR-or-bust train, so I'll apologize in advance, but the same arguments apply to OT on our team, along with our defense.

We can't count on Gilbert to play a whole season - he's done that around 20% of his career. We can't count on Justin Murray to stay on a team - he's done that around 16% of his career.

Kirk deserves a chance to develop in a limited sample size. The guys we'd be counting on in order to replace him really don't.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The argument is that he isn't talented enough. Which isn't the case. Yes his niggling injuries are an issue. But then it's also cause for hope as he has only played 25 games, he's still learning. If he can stay healthy he will be fine.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a solid wr2, he is also a great option in the end around plays
If he can stay he can easily be a 1000 yards player
He is just 23 so he can improve his game and correct the concentration issue

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The argument is that he isn't talented enough. Which isn't the case. Yes his niggling injuries are an issue. But then it's also cause for hope as he has only played 25 games, he's still learning. If he can stay healthy he will be fine.

Same argument you put forward in the debate about re-signing DJ Humphrey, right?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same argument you put forward in the debate about re-signing DJ Humphrey, right?

Not quite. Kirk has missed 7 games in 2 seasons. Thats 3.5 a season if you a struggling.

Before last year Hump averaged 7 games a season missed through injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure where you're aligned on the WR-or-bust train, so I'll apologize in advance, but the same arguments apply to OT on our team, along with our defense.

We can't count on Gilbert to play a whole season - he's done that around 20% of his career. We can't count on Justin Murray to stay on a team - he's done that around 16% of his career.

Kirk deserves a chance to develop in a limited sample size. The guys we'd be counting on in order to replace him really don't.

I'd be okay if we drafted a WR, depending on who's available. As for your post, I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave