Theo Maledon

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what to make of Theo at this point in time. I will need to see more of his video footage. First take, he sort of reminds me of a taller version of Deandre Fox with his ability to get to the basket. If the Suns did draft him, he might take some time to develop but they have Rubio in front of him.

Tankathon lists him at 6'4" and 174 pounds with a draft age of 19.02 yrs

Here is how NBA Draft Room describes him. They have him #17 in their mock:

Maledon is a truly exceptional open court athlete. He's kind of long-strider but also has burst and short area quickness. His first step and ability to get downhill and find angles to the basket is impressive. He's got touch around the rim and a nice array of one-foot floaters and runners.

At 6-5 he's got ideal combo guard size. His jumper is compact and smooth and shows promise.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/theo-maledon.html

NBADraft.Net has him ranked #9 and Tankathon has him listed at #19.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video I found on Theo Maledon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some want to compare Theo to Shai because of his height and ability to play both guard positions.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm starting to warm-up on Maledon.

He is basically the shorter, but more proven and polished version of Hallyburton.

Maledon is just on another level than his fellow countrymen Ntilikina and Okobo at the time when they were drafted.

I just don't see why Maledon is not a lottery pick and he makes (at least some) sense as Booker's future backcourt-partner.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Maledon is this years Coby White. He's a combo guard that will probably end up as a SG because he's not as good of a playmaker as he is as at creating for himself. If we didn't have a PG, I'd be ok with taking him but not where we pick with all of the other bigs ahead of him and with Rubio and other PG's already on the roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a compliment or an insult? He is only 19 but Coby White had a pretty lousy rookie year.

I liked Coby for the Suns in the last draft but after seeing his rookie season play out, I don't think he's going to be much of a pro. He'll have a career but it will probably resemble that of a Reggie Jackson, at best, and a Tyreke Evans, at worst. A journeyman who is never looked at as more than a stop gap, not a piece of a team's foundation.

So not someone I'd look to spend a lottery pick on based on how the current roster is constructed. Not enough of a PG to take over for Rubio and not enough of a scoring guard to provide a spark while Booker gets some rest.

Not a compliment but not a knock either, not what the Suns need at this point either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that stick's out about Maledon's game, no one is going to keep him from getting to the rim while he develops the rest of his game. And it's not just straight out speed but he knows how to weave his way through a crowd. Some players never learn how to do it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is this a compliment or an insult? He is only 19 but Coby White had a pretty lousy rookie year.
You must not have seen his run at the end of the truncated season. Didn’t he put up five straight games over 30pts? Tied Jordan for a rookie? Something like that. His overall season looked poor but, if i recall, he was starting to come on before the season was suspended.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You must not have seen his run at the end of the truncated season. Didn’t he put up five straight games over 30pts? Tied Jordan for a rookie? Something like that. His overall season looked poor but, if i recall, he was starting to come on before the season was suspended.
I just checked. He averaged 26pts/game over the last 9 games. And shot 43% on 81 3pts over that span.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just checked and in march last 5 gms he shot 43.6% and 31% from 3. Nine turnovers in his last game. He is a 6th man off the bench at best.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I'm starting to warm-up on Maledon.

He is basically the shorter, but more proven and polished version of Hallyburton.

Maledon is just on another level than his fellow countrymen Ntilikina and Okobo at the time when they were drafted.

I just don't see why Maledon is not a lottery pick and he makes (at least some) sense as Booker's future backcourt-partner.
I agree. And good point about comparing him to Frank and Elie. He is much farther than they were. Actually, he might be much farther than they are right now.

I wrote the take below about him back in January. When I first saw his game I saw a lot of Tony Parker (I promise that I didn't know Tony was his mentor.) Makes perfect sense. I really like this young man. I mention below about the IT I see in him. Every once in a while you see something in film that stands out from the rest. I saw it multiple times watching his film. Plus, his teammates absolutely rave about his professionalism. First one in, last one out. Should be considered at #10, although there are others I would rate higher. I did enjoy his film more than Killian (however, less than Haliburton).

Keep a watch on the PG Theo Maledon.

Great frame 6-4, 6-8(?) wingspan.
High twitch athlete. Dangerous first step and change of direction.
Excellent court vision and is always looking for his teammates. Solid P&R passer, eyes are always up.
Excellent handles.
Great in the open court. Shows high basketball IQ.
Really nice form on his shot. Has a great line. Didn't score a ton, but has booming potential (ala Ja Morant).
Really good defender with anticipation. Has a ton of potential above his solid production.
Has a lot of IT to him. Plays with passion, attacks the basket, shows flashes of greatness, fights for every ball, throws it down, finishes multiple ways, and looks to win.

And... playing pro basketball since he was 14 (4 years).

I highly doubt he's available June 25 at our draft spot. But you never know. I love the idea of him backing up Ricky for a few years and honing his game.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just checked and in march last 5 gms he shot 43.6% and 31% from 3. Nine turnovers in his last game. He is a 6th man off the bench at best.

Yes, I have the same impression when I saw White.

Talented and fearless scorer but it's hard to see him more than a microwave 6th man.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, I have the same impression when I saw White.

Talented and fearless scorer but it's hard to see him more than a microwave 6th man.

That is precisely what White is and will be (not unlike Leandro Barbosa). Unfortunately that is still miles ahead of what Cam Johnson is and will be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose