Onyeka Okongwu

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onyeka Okongwu is a 6' 9", 245 pound power forward/center project from USC who averaged 16.2 points and 8.6 rebounds this past season.

He is presently 19.32 years of age.

NBA Draft Room has Okongwu going #4 in their mock.

They describe him as such:

Overview

A powerful post player who excels at rebounding the ball, defending the rim and scoring in the lane. Unpolished but with a lot of upside, Okongwu has an NBA frame and is on a trajectory to be a first round pick.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/onyeka-okongwu.html

Tankathon has Okongwu being drafted #8 with lots of stat strengths.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/onyeka-okongwu

NBADraft.Net has Okongwu going #5.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video to show his game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works for me. Almost local going to SC.

A lot to like about a player that is athletic, rebounds and can defend the rim. Suns could definitely use a player like this.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be perfectly happy if the Suns ended up with him out of this draft.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Probably my favorite out of all the bigs. No clue how he would work next to Ayton on the offensive end, but if you have a chance to draft a talent like Okongwu, you take him and figure out how it works later.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Probably my favorite out of all the bigs. No clue how he would work next to Ayton on the offensive end, but if you have a chance to draft a talent like Okongwu, you take him and figure out how it works later.
Normally I don't favor this philosophy because I believe in filling needs (I know I'm in the minority), but with Ayton not a pure Center, I like the idea.

Ayton and he dividing up the responsibilities of the two power positions on offense and defense. Inside and outside.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Normally I don't favor this philosophy because I believe in filling needs (I know I'm in the minority), but with Ayton not a pure Center, I like the idea.

Ayton and he dividing up the responsibilities of the two power positions on offense and defense. Inside and outside.

Same with Carey or Stewart. And I can be convinced to like Toppin (though his lack of defense and rebounding concern me), Achiuwa (though his inconsistent motor, shooting and defense concern me), Jalen Smith (though I think he is a reach in the Lottery), Reed (ditto) and Haliburton (though we need front court help much more) at our pick as well. There are several possibilities that would make me perfectly happy.

Just please no Mannion, Maledon, Anthony, Hayes, Hampton, Maxey, Hagans, Avidja, McDaniels, or yet another wing, and no major reach for someone like Tre Jones, Pritchard, Howard or Dotson without a trade down that nets us someone a heck of a lot better than a Dario Saric type.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's my favorite big although I like Stewart too. Stewart is a 4 IMO, I think Okongwu is a 5. Been watching him since he was playing with the Ball Brothers in AAU and he was the guy at the back of the press blocking shots that allowed them to play the way they did. Not a big fan of USC and their coach but I think he did a nice job with Okongwu, his shot improved at USC. That's a constant of course Enfield is a former NBA shooting coach so it makes sense. Okongwu is raw, needs better footwork etc but he's good.

I'm in the minority but I like him much more than I like Mobley the big kid who will be a freshman this year not the older brother who's already at USC(who I don't like much eitehr). Mobley is supposed to be a top 4 pick next year but I think he's pretty overrated, too skinny, too weak and while he has upside, I think Okongwu is actually better