Per Bill Barnwell: Cardinals mismanaged offseason after DeAndre Hopkins trade

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is the issue with how poorly we've managed the draft in the past few years.

The more alarming thing with Keim as a whole is that recently he's been making moves that would screw a new GM down the line too. Unless this whole experiment works in a big way, it's gonna take a long time to come back from it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Garbage reporting IMO

Even the Cardinals, who had the Hopkins deal fall into their lap, have managed to get their other major decisions wrong.

Spacing those deals out, of course, allowed the Cardinals to add multiple starting-caliber players on the defensive side. It’s just going to bog things down in the coming years.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garbage reporting IMO

Even the Cardinals, who had the Hopkins deal fall into their lap, have managed to get their other major decisions wrong.

Spacing those deals out, of course, allowed the Cardinals to add multiple starting-caliber players on the defensive side. It’s just going to bog things down in the coming years.

sounds terrible, adding a bunch of starting caliber players to the team, especially with the 40 million salary cap increase expected next year. oh no.

:sarcasm:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His statement that it only makes sense to structure contracts like this when you are at the end of someone's career rather than the beginning is definitely an old school mentality.

The NFL is win now, not slowly build for the future. That doesn't happen anymore. We only have 3 contracts committed for 3 million 3 years from now.

Literally this is the window and then the roster is reshaped based around Murray and any new contract

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on the guys the Cards resigned, it looks the team gave them a straight deal, with little manipulating for the sal cap

for the free agents, all were back loaded

I don't understand why, for example, DJ Humpries deal wasn't structured to free up cap space this year

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He can also talk about losing weight which obviously included his brain cells... just a guy taking a 'unique' stance to garner attention
You must be registered for see images attach

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like Barnwell is reaching a bit here. We spend now while Kyler is on a rookie contract and Larry is still playing. The window is now.

Wow that's weird to even say.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will tell you what if you really do want to fire Keim after 2021 you basically get to remake the entire roster on 100 + million in cap space. It's crazy

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Total Cardinals cap commitments this guy is complaining about.

2021 134 million
2022 92 million
2023 3 million

Oh noes

I was too lazy to look at the numbers, thank you! But yeah like I said, this is the window now and these numbers absolutely back that up. Barnwell must have Quarantine Brain.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’d like to know when the cap had ever kept a team from keeping players they wanted. Teams can always manipulate the cap if they want to keep somebody.

I know there are cap casualties but that’s usually a player not performing to his cap hit and the team doesn’t want to pay him that amount.

Bottom line, if a team wants to add/keep a player, they’ll make it work.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lot of strum and drang about a non-bylined hit piece on AZSports.com. I don't have a huge problem with the Phillips or Kennard's deals. Next year, we're going to be paying twice as much for Campbell's 2020 performance as we will for Christian Kirk's 2021 season, but whatevs.

After the draft, we'll have about $70 million in cap space for 2021 with about 32 rostered players — before extensions for Peterson, Baker, Hopkins, Fitzgerald, and/or Drake. You can see, based on that context and the players in line for big-money deals, why an extra $4 million in cap space might come in handy.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Window is open. Keim filled holes with legit nfl starters. Time will tell if they were the right decisions.
Hard for anyone to fault the Hopkins deal. We added a pass rusher, a MLB a DL. We now have flexibility in the draft and no matter what player we pick we wont be forced to start a rookie. If the rookie earns it, great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
As hard as or as little you may try to criticise the Hopkins deal, it still made Keim look like a genius. You do remember how David Johnson was running last season? O'Brien is trying to sound optimistic about the deal, but then again, he has to. He made it.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Lot of strum and drang about a non-bylined hit piece on AZSports.com. I don't have a huge problem with the Phillips or Kennard's deals. Next year, we're going to be paying twice as much for Campbell's 2020 performance as we will for Christian Kirk's 2021 season, but whatevs.

After the draft, we'll have about $70 million in cap space for 2021 with about 32 rostered players — before extensions for Peterson, Baker, Hopkins, Fitzgerald, and/or Drake. You can see, based on that context and the players in line for big-money deals, why an extra $4 million in cap space might come in handy.
It just does not seem feasible to keep everyone. If the NFL season doesn’t start on time and/or they play empty stadium games that cap jump won’t be $40 mil next year since revenue will be down. I doubt we extend drake and Peterson. Biggest priorities are going to be Baker and Hopkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It just does not seem feasible to keep everyone. If the NFL season doesn’t start on time and/or they play empty stadium games that cap jump won’t be $40 mil next year since revenue will be down. I doubt we extend drake and Peterson. Biggest priorities are going to be Baker and Hopkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cap will almost certainly go up, and by quite a bit, once the new TV deal is in place. That’s what drives the NFL.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Is Keim hurting the Cap over the next years. Yes.

But the question is How much?

The team is still carrying Dead money from the roster clean up after Arians/Wilks regimes. That + DJ’s $6m Will be gone at the end of this year.

The New TV Deal is Coming. Expect 30-40m increase over the next years.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yay. More commercials.

Anyway, Keim's deals actually look shrewd. There is no 'long term money'.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose